Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Drilling's point of impact

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Drilling's point of impact
      #40260 - 01/11/05 01:36 AM

I have two questions regarding shooting a drilling and it's points of impact.
This may be a simple question but; can you shoot slugs through a drilling's shotgun barrels? If you can where will they hit the target, in regard to both shotgun barrels and its rifle barrel? Asuming you were using the rifles sights. Are the barrels regualed in any way like a double rifle or is it understood that the shotgun barrels are only for shot. Which makes the sights only useful for the rifle barrel.
I tried a search to see if this had been discussed before but couldn't find anything.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Drilling's point of impact [Re: foxfire]
      #40273 - 01/11/05 04:38 AM

Where indeed is the question.

You need to shoot whatever you can get your hands on and just see for yourself.
If those smoothbore barrels are of the -shotgun- portion of your drilling, it's doubtful that the manufacturer regulated that gun for slugs to hit to the rifle sights.

Look at the proofs. Chances are if it was proofed -and regulated- for solids to hit to the sights out of the smooth bore barrels, it'll say so on the barrel flats.
Drillings are often made light, or light as they reasonably can be made in order to get the gun to handle more like a double and less like a crowbar. If the gun was proofed for loads on the lighter end of the spectrum, it might not be such a good idea to shoot slugs out of it.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #40291 - 01/11/05 08:21 AM

If regulated for slugs, it may be only for the older-type Breneke slugs.
: As above, try many different makes, weights and types including any Brenekes but probably not sabots. One may work closely enough. Trying them is the only way.
: Modern slugs are either undersize and/or have vanes on them that collaps to prevent damage to chokes.
: The older drillings I'm familiar with (locally owned)were often used for driven wild boar with Breneke slugs.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Marty
.300 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
      #40335 - 01/11/05 04:45 PM

I've got a Sauer 3000. The Gun barrels will not shoot the same POI as the rifle barrels for one very simple reason. When it is selected on Gun, the rifle sights lay flat and cannot be used.

When on rifle, the right trigger will fire the rifle barrel. The left trigger, the left gun barrel. Where that goes is anyones guess. And I spose you would have to take it to the range to check. My only experience doing that was when I let a 30/06 round go at a mob of ducks, followed by a bunch of 4's from the left barrel, under the impression I was shooting the gun with both barrels. Dumb, but hey, I managed to miss the ducks, with the 30/06, same as I missed with the shotgun barrels!

My understanding is you can shoot slugs through any shotgun barrel, taking into consideration chamber size etc. I certainly would put any slug through my drilling in a heatbeat unless someone who knows here tells me different. But at least in my Sauer where the right barrel shoots in relation to the rifle sights is irrelevant, as I cant make it fire no matter how hard I pull the trigger. Where the left barrel shoots may be relevant, but in my experience of shooting pigs with slugs or shotguns using buckshot (and I do have photos)sights are not that important as such. With my Sauer I hit them with the Gun at the up close, and hit them with the 30/06 further out.

I've always considered Drillings a gun to take when you are shooting bunnies or ducks or something, with the chance at a pig or deer. In itself, it is a single shot rifle, and not a particularly good one when compared to something in a Martini action etc. Its not fast and with the sights provided its not accurate. But it is good on a goose swamp when a hog pokes his head up at 150 meters and your mates all have 12x12's.

--------------------

Marty
.300 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
Re: Drilling's point of impact [Re: tinker]
      #40336 - 01/11/05 04:51 PM

In reply to:

I have two questions regarding shooting a drilling and it's points of impact.

followed by....

In reply to:

Where indeed is the question.

In reply to:

This may be a simple question but; can you shoot slugs through a drilling's shotgun barrels?

and
In reply to:

If you can where will they hit the target, in regard to both shotgun barrels and its rifle barrel?

Sounds like two questions to me....

--------------------

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #40340 - 01/11/05 05:49 PM

Many older and early post war drillings were regulated to shoot the original Brenneke slugs to poin of aim from the right barrel with the flip up sight at 80 meters. It is no problem for a gunsmith like Lee LeBas to convert the flip up sight to hold position once the rifle barrel is de-selected, so you can shoot the shotgun right barrel with the sight up.

The drillings regulated for the Brenneke slugs almost always shot from the right barrel with the more open choke and set trigger. I had two drillings in the Sauer sidelock, sidecock for rifle design that shot Brennekes right on at 80 meters. These drillings had rear sights that had to be flipped up by hand...not automatic when the rifle was selected, as there was no top selector for the rifle. Cocking the side lever selected the rifle, and the rear trigger, not the front trigger, fired the rifle...not common for drillings. It was common to use the slug for close shots, allowing the rifle to be a longer follow up if necessary.

As you learn more about drillings, they become even more fascinating and stand out as the most versitile guns ever conceived. With good calibers, slug regulation, small and medium caliber insert barrels, and claw mounted scopes, they are both Fish and Fowl!

Some PMC and Fiochi "original Brenneke" loads shoot right where the old fiber wad slugs did. If you have a drilling and find some, try them out...

L2S

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

foxfire
.375 member

Re: Drilling's point of impact [Re: luv2safari]
      #40358 - 01/11/05 11:38 PM

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I need to have a drilling. Soon the hunt for one will begin.

--------------------

luv2safari
.400 member

#40430 - 02/11/05 04:43 PM

Foxfire,

There is a nice drilling configuration on Gunbroker auction site right now. It is a Sauer in 16 & 7X57R with a 6X Zeiss in claw mounts. The "Buy Now" price is $3,500.00...not bad considering the good rifle caliber and $1,800.00-$2,000.00 cost to duplicate the mounts and scope at today's prices!!

I placed several bids on it, but don't NEED it...just would like it because it is a good configuration. You might consider looking at it. Look up Gunbroker on your browser and enter drilling in their search box. I'll back off if you are interested in it.

L2S

--------------------

foxfire
.375 member

Re: Drilling's point of impact [Re: luv2safari]
      #40451 - 02/11/05 10:19 PM

Luv2safari,
Thanks for the information and consideration. The shock of my double rifle hasn't worn off my wife yet. So another higher end gun right now has it's timing off. What did you think off the Colt Sauer Drilling 12-12-30-06.
I'm a lefty and the JP sauer has a cheek piece and the Colt sauer didn't. Just an observation. I think coming up with a lefty drilling will be harder than finding my lefty double rifle.
Thanks again,
Steve

--------------------

luv2safari
.400 member

#40485 - 03/11/05 07:56 AM

Buy the Colt Sauer or a vintage Charles Daley made for the US market...didnt have cheek pieces...and have the stock oil bent to suit you. I have a Weatherby era Sauer 3000 in 12 & '06with a 6X Nickel Supra in claws that I like very much, and an early Daley SL in 12 & 30-30 without cheek piece. Both are excellent IMO.

For general hunting I would get the more modern Colt Sauer.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2719

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com