Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A couple of freezer fillers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
A couple of freezer fillers
      #3929 - 29/07/03 01:08 AM

The freezer was getting low so a short trip to the hills.

The result. A couple of freezer fillers.

Dog is happy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: A couple of freezer fillers [Re: NitroX]
      #3931 - 29/07/03 01:18 AM

NitroX
The male looks like a good one.But why the doe,were you looking for a pair or was it accidental.

coues
.275 member

Reged: 04/03/03
Re: A couple of freezer fillers [Re: iqbal]
      #3933 - 29/07/03 01:45 AM

Good deal. There is a deer farm just down the road that has a lot of those and several other types of deer and critters. Kinda of fun to pet and feed. They roam around and gang up on you when they see you have a can of feed.
Freezers empty here care to fill it? HEHE.
Sounds like some quick fun at least. Congrats.
Coues

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: A couple of freezer fillers [Re: coues]
      #3934 - 29/07/03 05:43 AM

the buck is a cull for sure--good to see you got a feed--fallow is my favourite meat

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A couple of freezer fillers [Re: gryphon]
      #3938 - 29/07/03 07:55 PM

Gryphon

Well the freezer was emptied of the red and previous fallow so the space needed filling.

Iqbal

Both of the deer are male.

The older one is about three or four years old, but had one good antler showing promise with a good palm (the left one) but the right antler is pretty deficient with a cleft palm and not much else.

I wanted him out of the breeding cycle. There's another out there that needs removing.

The smaller buck is a spiker with not much there either. Should be good eating though.

Coues

Watch out for them, they will eat you out of house and home. If you don't eat them first.

Spent this afternoon cutting up the carcases. Left them hanging since Sunday evening for the meat to set. The days at the moment are about 14 to 16 deg C and with the nights dropping to about 4 deg C (this is what we call Winter - brrrrrrr!). The young one had set nicely, the older one wasn't 100% set but not bad.

Meat recovered - about 45 kg. Live weight was 85 kg (I weighed them using a scales I carry in my Landcruiser).

I was going to tan both skins as flat skins, but my dog Siegfried pinched the larger skin and buried it, not only once but twice !

The first time it was in the yard on a table at night before I salted it - I was having dinner. I had only a small amount of salt so was looking for more. Found it buried under a bush. After washing the dirt off both skins - he left the smaller one lying on the grass - I salted them with the salt I had and put them higher up on a bench. The next day I planned to re-salt them properly when someone dropped more salt off on the farm.

Went out working the next morning and came home at lunch time. Again the skin was missing . The little bugger had got up to the bench and this time buried and hidden it properly. And as he was loose, it wasn't necessarily in the yard. So after a good yelling at the dog, I found every bone he had buried for the last six months. Then tried to let Siegfried redeem himself. Showed him the other skin and told him to "find it". He walked to the two tables where I had worked on the deer, then to the tree where I had hung the spikers head (yes that was gone too - he had got it down and buried it as well). Then to the area where I had skun the deer. But no way did he intend for me to know his hiding spot. The little bugger.

The venison should be nice anyway.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #3941 - 30/07/03 03:55 AM

"The little bugger.

The "soon to be arse kicked" little bugger in my book Nitro,how would it have been if it had been a topline cape for mounting --ouch!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #3957 - 31/07/03 11:31 PM

Way to go, John, makes me pine for deer season here....Soon though, October first is not too far away.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A couple of freezer fillers [Re: AspenHill]
      #3958 - 01/08/03 12:01 AM

Found it. The larger skin. Not much use though as it has been out in the rain, sun, frost etc for too long. It is about half a kilometre away from the house in a vine row in the high cover crop.

Either Siegfried carried it there and he well may have, as he runs up there many times a day to check on the local rabbit population, or a fox found it and dragged it there.

The little bugger.

The meat from the two deer filled approximately two and a half eskies (cold boxes). Fitted in the gaps of my large freezer so I still have the smaller one to fill.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#3959 - 01/08/03 12:59 AM

Some of the details of the hunt.

I have access to a property where fallow deer sometimes visit. They are not permanently there but move over several different properties. Have hunted there a few times this year but hadn't seen anything worth shooting, or at least couldn't get a shot. Some good prospects for the future though which is one reason I was happy to deal with this stag.

Now I have to admit it but I wasn't actually hunting deer. I was out after some foxes. I want to build up a collection of winter fox pelts to make up a large rug similar to those I saw in the Czech Republic last year. So I wasn't carrying a deer calibre but instead my trusty .222. I did have my .308 BLR in the car - just in case. Not much use there though.

Anyway spotted these boys plus a couple others feeding in a field not far from some bush and managed to get to within a hundred metres. Got into a good prone position using a tree trunk for additional support and waited for the stag to move into a favourable position. Would you know it! Always another animal behind or not a favourable head position. I wanted a side on behind the eye shot and after some delay eventually got it. Dropped like a stone.

The spiker ran off with the rest of the deer but was stupid enough to stop for a few seconds. They didn't know where exactly the shot had come from. Frontal between the eyes. Also dropped pretty quickly. Did shoot him a second time though as although it probably was just nerves, everytime I grabbed his legs to pick him up he started kicking.

Had a trailer with to collect some wood so it came in handy for other use.

I am fairly confident with the .222 though haven't shot it a lot for quite a while. Used to use it a lot once and probably have shot a couple of thousand rounds at game through it. Plain Jane Remington 788 with a Tasco 3-9x scope - permanently set on 9x. My first rifle which I owned of any sort, but I did start off with a single shot .22 with open sights of my father's. If you can hit a rabbit, hare, fox or roo in the brain, you should be able to hit a deer. As long as you wait for the ideal shot or let them go if not. Great as zero spoilage of meat.

Now if it had been a trophy stag, not so sure about it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

coues
.275 member

Reged: 04/03/03
      #3964 - 01/08/03 02:44 AM

NIce way to spend the day.
I think my horn stealing, hide burying basset hounds spirit lives your pooch. LOL.
Coues

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2578

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com