Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: T/C Encore rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
577Enfield
.275 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: BC-Canada
T/C Encore rifles
      #38973 - 10/10/05 08:50 PM

I have been internet searching a bit for used Ruger #1's(just window shopping) and have seen a few Encore's out there. I have always liked my friends Contender pistol, how are these rifles? I don't like them as much as the Ruger, but they are roughly $200 cheaper for a comparable rifle in .375 H&H. Then there is also the advantage of being able to get other barrels.

Looking for opinions etc.
thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Riodot
.224 member

Reged: 30/07/05
Loc: Casa Grande, AZ
Re: T/C Encore rifles [Re: 577Enfield]
      #39473 - 22/10/05 04:41 AM

I have a T/C encore rifle.

The barrels I have are the blued 375 H&H, a SS 22-250 (both are 26" heavy barrels) and I just picked up a 15" 25-06 pistol barrel.

The 375 is very accurate - under an inch at 100 yds.

I've shot .5 inch groups @ 100 yds with the 22-250.

Just bought the pistol barrel last week - no shots with it yet.

One suggestion - If you ever plan to have a pistol barrel on the encore, buy an action registered as a pistol.

It is legal to have rifle barrel on a pistol action, but it is not legal to convert a registered rifle action with a pistol barrel. Weird Huh?

I bought a pistol action complete with the pistolgrip And forend with no barrel. Then I bought the 375 H&H rifle barrel and a rifle stock & forend from boyd's gunstocks to finish myself.

I didn't get the pistol barrel until 18 months later.

Encores are addicting - enjoy

admiral
.224 member

Reged: 26/10/05
Re: T/C Encore rifles [Re: Riodot]
      #39811 - 26/10/05 08:10 AM

i have an Encore rifle also. it was by far the easiest way to get into shooting Nitro Express rounds. the Ruger is a much better looking rifle in my eyes as i think the Encore is kind of funky looking. but as a "test mule" it is easy and economical to try just about anything with. SSK made my barrels for 450/400 N.E. and 450 N.E.

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: T/C Encore rifles [Re: admiral]
      #42313 - 25/11/05 12:21 AM

I see listed for the Thompson
Center a 405 Winchester,& a
45-70 barrel. I would opt
for the 45-70. Also listed
was 416 Rigby. No thank you.

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: T/C Encore rifles [Re: k80]
      #42337 - 25/11/05 01:07 PM

Has anyone made an ejector
for for the Contender or
Encores?

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

KWK
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Loc: Illinois
Re: T/C Encore rifles [Re: k80]
      #43884 - 13/12/05 01:49 PM

For a few years, Fox Ridge (the T/C custom shop) offered ejectors for the Contender. I believe they no longer do, so perhaps there was some trouble with them, or maybe it just sold poorly.

Rockfish
.224 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Sneads Ferry, NC, USA...
      #44540 - 21/12/05 06:37 PM

In reply to:

It is legal to have rifle barrel on a pistol action, but it is not legal to convert a registered rifle action with a pistol barrel.

I'm sorry sir but your info is mistaken... that was settled in Federal court several years back... so long as the appropriate stocks/grips are used with the appropriate barrel lengths it's permissable to switch from rifle to pistol configurations or vice versa... if you have a rifle buttstock on it the barrel must be in excess of 16"... any length barrel with a pistol grip on it... a phone call to T/C customer service will confirm this...

and yes the 375H&H barrels are very accurate as well as the 22-250... and another nice thing about the 22-250 barrels from T/C is they use a 1-12" twist... mine shoots WW 64gr SP's extremely accurately...

--------------------
375 H&H... one world, one caliber...

Riodot
.224 member

Reged: 30/07/05
Loc: Casa Grande, AZ
Re: T/C Encore rifles [Re: Rockfish]
      #45649 - 04/01/06 03:06 AM

That is good news for all regarding the Pistol/rifle action situation.

Thanks for the update.

I recently got a chance to shoot the 25.06 encore pistol barrel. It doesn't so much kick as it snaps back - hard. But it shoots well enough with a red dot sight. I will be breaking it in on a javelina handgun hunt in 6 weeks.

I think the 416 Rigby sounds like fun - I bought a set of plastic stocks just so I could get the snot kicked out of me by a 416 Rigby. - thats the magic od the encores - if they are not what you want, you are only out the cost of the barrel, and you seldom lose much money on a barrel if you decide the caliber is not for you.

I plan to fill the hollow stock parts with Epoxy resin to add wieght and strength.

Oh well, maybe by next Christmas.

Rockfish
.224 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Sneads Ferry, NC, USA...
      #45736 - 04/01/06 05:40 PM

In reply to:

It is legal to have rifle barrel on a pistol action, but it is not legal to convert a registered rifle action with a pistol barrel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry sir but your info is mistaken... that was settled in Federal court several years back... so long as the appropriate stocks/grips are used with the appropriate barrel lengths it's permissable to switch from rifle to pistol configurations or vice versa... if you have a rifle buttstock on it the barrel must be in excess of 16"... any length barrel with a pistol grip on it... a phone call to T/C customer service will confirm this...

unfortunately I must withdraw my previous statement about the legality of converting an Encore that's registered as a rifle into a pistol... this was some erronious information allegedly put out by T/C... there is a post at Bellm's site that counters this info with a letter from the ATF... sorry for getting your hopes up bro... and please accept my apology for doubting your word...

--------------------
375 H&H... one world, one caliber...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3205

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com