Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Opinions on Taurus 444 Raging Bull .44 Mag?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Eland_Slayer
.224 member

Reged: 04/10/05
Opinions on Taurus 444 Raging Bull .44 Mag?
      #38790 - 06/10/05 07:44 AM

I'm getting ready to buy my first handgun. I'm looking hard at a Taurus 444 Raging Bull in .44 Mag with 8 3/8" barrel. Anyone have one of these? What are yall's thoughts? Any other suggestions for a double action .44 Mag with 8 3/8" barrel that is accurate for about the same price as the Taurus? I will be using it primarily for backup while hunting but will probably do some close range hunting with it. Let me know any opinions, good or bad.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: Opinions on Taurus 444 Raging Bull .44 Mag? [Re: Eland_Slayer]
      #38806 - 06/10/05 03:24 PM

Not looking to start a fight but I have always wondered what "backup" during a hunt meant? Is it that the larger , more powerfull rifle is out of action, inoperable? What would be the reasoning for not continueing the use of the rifle? Again just my thoughts not looking to get myself smoked! By all means carry whatever backup you deem needed and I will not throw rocks, but I tyhink I would carry a large powerfull rifle that I could shoot well rather than any hanfgun so I would need no backup.

Eland_Slayer
.224 member

Reged: 04/10/05
Re: Opinions on Taurus 444 Raging Bull .44 Mag? [Re: Taos]
      #38825 - 07/10/05 05:05 AM

Taos

Well, I need backup for several reasons, which I will eplain. First of all, I do a lot of bowhunting and there are lots of wild hogs where I hunt. I have been charged by hogs and they are nothing to play around with. They can be VERY dangerous and need every bit of a .44 mag to put them down. I also would be using .44 special shotshells in the .44 mag for snakes (mainly rattle snakes), as I live in Texas and we have lots of them. Lastly, even when I'm rifle hunting I like to have a backup handgun. Even though I shoot a .300 WSM Browning A-Bolt which is a very powerful and capable rifle, NO bolt action rifle will be able to fire up to 6 shots very fast. I don't care who you are, but nobody can operate a bolt-action rifle as fast as a revolver handgun. So, I guess that is my reasoning behind a backup handgun. Any other questions?

577Enfield
.275 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: BC-Canada
Re: Opinions on Taurus 444 Raging Bull .44 Mag? [Re: Eland_Slayer]
      #38828 - 07/10/05 05:46 AM

the back up for the wild hogs and snakes sure makes sense to me. After reading your first post I was going to say that I would prefer a T/C Contender as a hunting handgun, but I would definately have to go for the revolver for the hogs.
I don't know much about the Taurus, never tried them. But have had lots of luck with Rugers over the years.

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: Opinions on Taurus 444 Raging Bull .44 Mag? [Re: 577Enfield]
      #38845 - 07/10/05 01:44 PM

I think that I have killed more hogs with a 315 gr. cast bullet than another round. I highly reccomend itith a stout load of ww-296. good luck.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2279

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com