Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: An 'aggressive,' wounded water buffalo is on the loose

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
85lc
.400 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
An 'aggressive,' wounded water buffalo is on the loose
      #386535 - 29/08/24 05:43 AM

The story is "An 'aggressive,' wounded water buffalo is on the loose in the Des Moines metro area" by Jose Mendiola with the Des Moines Register.

This is somewhat an interesting story in that someone in the US owned a water buffelo which got loose and a cop (obviously untrained), shot it with a shotgun. Now, it seems that Des Moines has a mad water buffelo to contend with.

Pleasant Hill officials say they are using all resources Monday in the search of a loose water buffalo that was shot by a police officer over the weekend.

Pleasant Hill police were dispatched to 2060 Northeast 56th Street on Saturday after a caller said they saw a loose animal in the street. Police identified the animal as a water buffalo and began coordinating with the Animal Rescue League and Des Moines Animal Control to apprehend it.

The water buffalo had escaped its owner’s property, officials said. The owner told police that the mammal was aggressive.

When officers spotted the water buffalo, it became aggressive and an officer shot it once with a shotgun, the news release said. The Animal Rescue League and Des Moines Animal Control do not have tranquilizers to sedate a mammal of the water buffalo’s size, officials said.

The water buffalo was last seen in Little Fourmile Creek heading southbound toward Scott Avenue and Oakwood Boulevard.

Pleasant Hill police have partnered with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office to implement a drone search for the water buffalo. Officers also are using ATVs to search the bicycle trails and along the creek.

According to National Geographic, the water buffalo is the largest member of the Bovini tribe. It can weigh 1,500 to 2,600 pounds and be 8- to 9-feet long without including the tail. Male water buffalo have backward-curving, crescent-shaped horns stretching close to 5 feet long. Pleasant Hill police didn't say whether the escaped water buffalo is male or female.

It's also unclear where this water buffalo came from.

City officials are asking people not to approach the animal. Instead, call the Pleasant Hill Police Department at 515-265-1444 if you see it.

City officials were not available for interviews on Monday as all resources were being use to locate the animal, the news release said.

--------------------
RB

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: An 'aggressive,' wounded water buffalo is on the loose [Re: 85lc]
      #386536 - 29/08/24 06:11 AM

Oh it'll be cranky alright!
A load of buckshot in its rear end most probably - not a good combination to have wandering around town!
Lets hope no one tries Crocodile Dundee's trick to make it go to sleep!

Rule303
.450 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: An 'aggressive,' wounded water buffalo is on the loose [Re: 93x64mm]
      #386537 - 29/08/24 09:32 AM

Quote:

Oh it'll be cranky alright!
A load of buckshot in its rear end most probably - not a good combination to have wandering around town!
Lets hope no one tries Crocodile Dundee's trick to make it go to sleep!

Why so negative that Croc Dundee trick works once you have sedated the Buff with a well-placed shot from a 375 or larger calibre.

You are right in that it will be cranky. I wonder if the authorities now a reliable plan have to deal with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: An 'aggressive,' wounded water buffalo is on the loose [Re: Rule303]
      #386538 - 29/08/24 04:17 PM

It's probably a domestic water buffalo. Water buffalo milk is used to make proper mozzarella cheese. Been doing it in Italy since Roman times.

Most South American water buffalo are tame.

Most Asian water buffAlo are beasts if burden and tame. Surprisingly often not used for milk. I watched a documentary about an Australian women living in Cambodia or Laos, as a "charity", establishing a water buffalo dairy. She would give away a pregnant cow. The people had to raise the calf, after X months they were supposed to return the cos, but could keep the calf. They were teaching the locals water buffalo cows could be milked. They didn't know this. Water buffalo cows produce a lot less milk than a normal dairy cow.

Btw the typical Indian cow wandering around the streets might produce obe-sixthnto ine-quarter the amount of milk of a typical Western dairy cow. And their are far more of them. Produce little milk and no meat. The Holy Cow is the first place the climate change cult should start cow reductins on. As unnecessary as it is anyway, CO2 being positive green gas. Methane?

Their are wild water buffalo in South America and Asia. Australia of course, probably the largest number in the world.

In India. In Sri Lanka I've seen herds of wild water buffalo. In X park. Wild elephant. No tigers only great big leopards. I did wonder if some of thecwzter buffalo were domestic? Wanderi g into the park to feed?

If the copper used 4 shot axca lot do, unless in the face, it will do little harm. Thick skins, fat and muscle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: An 'aggressive,' wounded water buffalo is on the loose [Re: NitroX]
      #386551 - 31/08/24 03:41 AM

Quote:

If the copper used 4 shot axca lot do, unless in the face, it will do little harm. Thick skins, fat and muscle.

In the USA the typical police shotgun loads are 00 Buckshot (same as SG in UK, don’t know about Australia) .33” diameter shot size.

I doubt 00 Buckshot would do more than irritate a buffalo of any description.

City Plod/Cop would likely not have any idea about what it takes to kill a buffalo.

- Mike

--------------------
"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

85lc
.400 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: An 'aggressive,' wounded water buffalo is on the loose [Re: 3DogMike]
      #386553 - 31/08/24 03:46 AM

Luckily the buffalo wasn't a old cape bull. I expect the shot would only have infuriated the animal and that officer may not have survived.

--------------------
RB

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 355

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com