Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Deciphering proof marks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
LTK
.224 member

Reged: 27/02/24
Loc: Alberta Canada
Deciphering proof marks
      #385263 - 17/06/24 12:28 AM

I have been searching the net for awhile to get info on these proofs but to no avail. A couple look similar to Birmingham proofs but not quite the same. Specifically, I am interested in the proof house, war of manufacture and most importantly, if it is nitro proofed. The guy I bought it from said it was reproofed for nitro relatively recently (like the last 50 years) but the only thing I can see that MIGHT represent a "nitro" proof is the "NP" but that stamp looks to be as old as the others AND I am not going to "assume" that it means nitro proofed especially when most (all?) others I have seen actually SAY "Nitro proofed". Anybody know what I have here?. For the record, it is a J.W. Rosier, .410 SXS.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Deciphering proof marks [Re: LTK]
      #385276 - 17/06/24 01:32 PM

Look like early Brit as you say, but remember Rosier was an Australian colonial "gunsmith" and may have nitro proved earlier guns here in Oz where there has never been a proof house as such, and no proof laws AFAIK. NP stamped on shotgun barrel flats can only mean nitro proof.

Also, no period-original black powder .410 shotshells are likely to have been 70mm long, which I assume is the chamber length.

Just my opinion, but if the gun is fairly robust in dimensions, and not stupidly petite, (and still on the face!) I would give it a go with Fourlongs or equivalent, but probably steer clear of Winnie Super-X due to the age. Modern Eley plastic-hull .410 shells may be a bit full-on too!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

LTK
.224 member

Reged: 27/02/24
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: Deciphering proof marks [Re: Marrakai]
      #385285 - 18/06/24 12:33 AM

Yes I was told that the maker (Rosier) was Australian. However, while it is tight on face, it IS "stupidly petite" tipping the scales (unloaded) @ 3lbs, 11OZ. I see no evidence that the barrels are laminated/composite in any way but I imagine that it was reblued at some point so they may not be fluid steel, just look that way from the reblue. While on THAT subject, were any fluid steel barrels NOT nitro proofed?. I have no intention of buying any loaded ammo for it, just reloading. It shoots fine with 30gr of FFF and half OZ shot to be on the safe side. The closest Birmingham marks I could find ended in 1898 or something like that and I guesstimated the DOB to be 10-20 years after that, not that it matters just curious.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 117

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com