Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges?
      #383987 - 07/04/24 04:10 PM

As promised, a thread discussing how we use our double rifles.

Often traditionally thought to be big bores, potentially stopper rifles at close ranges. Follow up rifles for dangerous game, possibly wounded. Used in close thick cover. Jungle. Thick high grass. End of barrel visibility.

But are they also used for reasonable longer ranges? 100 metres, 200 metres?

Yes to both comments IMO.

Please discuss, Especially your own experiences.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: NitroX]
      #383988 - 07/04/24 04:15 PM

Can a double rifle be used at longer ranges?

First comment. At BGRC target shoots, many competitors will use double rifles of varying calibres and types, including big bores, shooting targets at 100 yards,

Of course the DR needs to shoot to regulation to do well at competitions.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #383994 - 07/04/24 06:56 PM

My 500NE Merkel still shoots well at 100yards - both accuracy and regulation. The POI doesn't cross over between these distances.

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #383997 - 07/04/24 10:43 PM

I have made kills with both 450-400 and 450 at 100 yards plus with open sights.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: degoins]
      #383999 - 07/04/24 10:59 PM

A long time ago (!) I flicked up the 200 yard sight leaf on my .400 Jeffery double to make a 175 metre shot on a fast-walking hog, and drilled it perfectly.

Only time I have ever used anything other than the 100-yard standing leaf on that rifle, before or since.

Its a bit long-winded, but the full story is here for those interested.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: Marrakai]
      #384000 - 07/04/24 11:16 PM

I have 4 DRs and have checked their sighting and regulation at 100 yards. With open sights they are adequate. Two have scopes but, as is often the case, a pre-war rifle regulated with open sights usually doesn't regulate well when a scope is added after. The obvious result is that they become quite accurate single shot rifles when the scope is employed....which it never is. Even at 71 I don't "need" a scope for accurate shooting at game where I hunt. Perhaps I should say where I hunted. The fire burns rather dim these days. On our property 75 yards would be a long shot.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: sharps4590]
      #384023 - 09/04/24 11:55 AM

Hogs

--------------------
Life is for Service

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: tarawa]
      #384025 - 09/04/24 03:36 PM

As Forsyth wrote back in 1860, if your SxS does not shoot parallel, sight it for it's most accurate barrel and learn to hold for the other one.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: DarylS]
      #384026 - 09/04/24 06:24 PM

One famous writer with little rifle experience wrote of "minute of buffalo". This comment led many a tyro to believe double rifles are not capable of good accuracy. Nor the ability to shoot at reasonale hunting ranges.

Certainly some double rifles are not capable of great accuracy. Particularly some vintage rifles. And many cheap el crapos. A hundred and twenty years old rifle is simply old. If well used possibly worn. Ammo shot in it today may be unlike what it was regulated for. Perhaps reguation can fail over time?

If a big bore, hitting a dinner plate at a hundred yards, the so called "minute of buffalo", will kill a buffalo and most medium game. Hitting an elephants brain at 20 yards or less also works.

But many double rifles particularly modern well made double rifles leave the factory shooting far better. In fact NONE should leave without far better than MOB accuracy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (09/04/24 06:28 PM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #384032 - 09/04/24 08:49 PM

As I said in that story referred to in my last post;
I hunt a lot with open-sighted double rifles, and have complete faith in the skill and ability of last century's British gun-makers to properly regulate their arms. If a sight-leaf is marked with a particular distance, you can be sure it was test-fired at that distance and the sights carefully filed-in to place the bullet on the mark. This is more than can be said for the open sights on most modern sporting arms, the vast majority of which will be scoped before leaving the retailer's premises.

The early hunting literature is rich with tales of satisfying shots made with open-sighted doubles and stalking rifles, both in the highlands and the far-flung out-posts of Empire, and they are no less accurate today than during the hey-day of British gun-making a century ago. For some reason, the shallow-vee express sights, and British doubles generally, are often accused of mediocre accuracy at best, when nothing could be further from the truth. Admittedly some specimens have suffered greatly from the ravages of time and ignorance, but the majority of surviving examples have been well cared-for and are capable of delivering 'every satisfaction' as far as hunting accuracy is concerned.

In practice, I rarely deploy the flip-up sight-leaves on sporting rifles, as they are so infrequently required in the hunting field. Nevertheless, it is reassuring to know that when a long shot is called for, these marvelous rifles from a bygone era are still capable of holding their own in any company!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: Marrakai]
      #384035 - 09/04/24 10:36 PM

Quote:

If a sight-leaf is marked with a particular distance, you can be sure it was test-fired at that distance and the sights carefully filed-in to place the bullet on the mark.

The early hunting literature is rich with tales of satisfying shots made with open-sighted doubles and stalking rifles, both in the highlands and the far-flung out-posts of Empire, and they are no less accurate today than during the hey-day of British gun-making a century ago. For some reason, the shallow-vee express sights, and British doubles generally, are often accused of mediocre accuracy at best, when nothing could be further from the truth. Admittedly some specimens have suffered greatly from the ravages of time and ignorance, but the majority of surviving examples have been well cared-for and are capable of delivering 'every satisfaction' as far as hunting accuracy is concerned.

In practice, I rarely deploy the flip-up sight-leaves on sporting rifles, as they are so infrequently required in the hunting field. Nevertheless, it is reassuring to know that when a long shot is called for, these marvelous rifles from a bygone era are still capable of holding their own in any company!

It would be interesting too test out the 100 yards and 200 yards leaves on the express sights of my Jeffery .450 No.2 NE. I want to work out or retest regulation loads for it. Possibly using a different powder. Might be a good time to try out longer range leaves.

But do you really believe the 300, 400, and 500 yard leaves were actually test shot and filed? I've thought of them as a marketing gimmmmick.

At 500 yards I'd need a big target.

100 to 250 yards would be more sensible.

Quote:

This is more than can be said for the open sights on most modern sporting arms, the vast majority of which will be scoped before leaving the retailer's premises.

I doubt the modern leaves are test shot. Don't know?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (09/04/24 10:52 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #384039 - 10/04/24 12:59 AM

300 yards is fairly easy with express sights, at least on my 14 bore muzzleloader.

John Whooters once wrote in G&A or Shooting Times magazine in the 1960's, that "express sights" are inaccurate past 25 yards.
In 1986, when my brother built me my 14 bore rifle, with a set of express sights from Brownell's, I learned that Whooters was merely writing about his own personal abilities.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: DarylS]
      #384046 - 10/04/24 03:59 AM

In the old, now defunct 'Double Gun Journal', Seyfried wrote on several occasions that with the higher quality doubles the express sights were assuredly on, when the load for which they were regulated was used.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: sharps4590]
      #384055 - 10/04/24 02:30 PM

Quote:

In the old, now defunct 'Double Gun Journal', Seyfried wrote on several occasions that with the higher quality doubles the express sights were assuredly on, when the load for which they were regulated was used.

Good news. I think I'd need to use my .450 as an "anti vehicle" rifle if shooting at 500 yards .... Maybe give it a try one day, working up the leaves 100 yards fixed, 200, 300, 400, 500 folding, until a leaf becomes ridiculous in results. In theory a three to five inch "group" at 100 yards will be 15 to 25 inches at 500 yards. Eye sight permitting. A tree to five inch group should in theory be effective at 100 and 200 yards on medium ad larger sized game. Id normally hunt with it at less than 100 yards.

As one ages eye sight can deterioate. Replacing the original rea express sight with a grooved one for a red dot sight can become necessary,

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#384056 - 10/04/24 02:45 PM

I'm keen to try out my Tika/Valmet barrels set in .30-06.

A milder medium calibre/cartridge double rifle. It can be a test f all sorts of assumptions and theories.

* Does one barrel hae to be shot first?

* Scope and open sights, does regulation work for both?

* Longer range shooting with a double rifle? How well does regulation perform at different ranges?

Assuming it has been regulated at 100 yards. Chart it at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 yards.

I'd probably go for an accurate first barrel, the top one for me, as the primary aimed barrel. For longer range show. And the second barrel for the ranges it functions well at.

* Maybe try out the "rest" assumptions, can the forend be rested direct on bags and sticks?

A 30-06 such kinder on the shoulder and body.

Of course such testing on ONE RIFLE is not conclusive whatever evrresults. But s illustrative as part of a larger survey and testing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

degoins
.333 member

#384145 - 14/04/24 01:56 AM

I have found this to be the case with the few vintage single barreled rifles and double that have owned.

degoins
.333 member

#384146 - 14/04/24 01:58 AM

My last post was in response to Marrakai's post above.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #384159 - 14/04/24 07:36 AM

Well I finally got to fire my double last year, had a blast with it doing the BGR stopper double event.
Only at 50m maximum, so basically not that far.
I have cast loads for my 450/400 which are surprisingly good, only 2 shot groups but they were more accurate than the Hornady factory loads & the Woodleigh's that I've got regulated in it using Reloader 15.
If I needed to do a longer shot I feel I could do it if needed - I'd have to use my red dot for that though! Something I might just try out yet, will have to do some calcs first!

CJF
.300 member

Reged: 07/08/17
Loc: United States
Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #384218 - 16/04/24 12:05 PM

I bought my first double rifle, a 500BPE Dickson, six years ago. More have followed. I've learned how to reload and cast and patch to make these work, but I'm still very much in the learning stage.

Last November I hunted for the first time with a double - a 360EX Watson built by Webley in 1905. Iron sights. Bright morning. Buck dropped where he stood, downhill from me at no more than 45 yards. Iron sights.

I'm still getting comfortable shooting these, but right now I'm confident I could take a whitetail, stationary, out somewhat past 120 yards with the irons on my best shooting double (a pre-war Merkel in 8x57R that will ring the steel targets at our range out to 200...but then hitting a 14"x18" plate isn't the same as humanely dropping a deer.)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#384219 - 16/04/24 02:20 PM

Quote:

Well I finally got to fire my double last year, had a blast with it doing the BGR stopper double event.
Only at 50m maximum, so basically not that far.
I have cast loads for my 450/400 which are surprisingly good, only 2 shot groups but they were more accurate than the Hornady factory loads & the Woodleigh's that I've got regulated in it using Reloader 15.
If I needed to do a longer shot I feel I could do it if needed - I'd have to use my red dot for that though! Something I might just try out yet, will have to do some calcs first!

Sounds good.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

93x64mm
.416 member

Re: How do you use your DR? Only close up or at ranges? [Re: CJF]
      #384221 - 16/04/24 04:57 PM

Quote:

I bought my first double rifle, a 500BPE Dickson, six years ago. More have followed. I've learned how to reload and cast and patch to make these work, but I'm still very much in the learning stage.

Last November I hunted for the first time with a double - a 360EX Watson built by Webley in 1905. Iron sights. Bright morning. Buck dropped where he stood, downhill from me at no more than 45 yards. Iron sights.

I'm still getting comfortable shooting these, but right now I'm confident I could take a whitetail, stationary, out somewhat past 120 yards with the irons on my best shooting double (a pre-war Merkel in 8x57R that will ring the steel targets at our range out to 200...but then hitting a 14"x18" plate isn't the same as humanely dropping a deer.)

Glad you got that old Watson up & running mate!
Perfect for that task you had at hand.
Hopefully I'll get the chance to do so myself with mine on game, I reckon those cast loads of mine will sort a few pigs out when they do!

CJF
.300 member

Reged: 07/08/17
Loc: United States
      #384223 - 16/04/24 08:43 PM

Would love to hear more about your cast loads and your rifle when you can.

I didn't mention it above, but based on the November hunting trip, I invested in a range finder, as I had passed on a shot the day before because of distance. I borrowed my hunting partner's range finder later that day and found our I was definitely more conservative than I needed to be. On the plus side, I suspect I shot the same deer a day later, but on firm ground vs having to haul him out of a marsh.

I will also be practicing much more with any new-to-me rifle before going into the woods with it -- confidence in your gun, load and abilities is critical to fully enjoying the moment, vs over thinking.

93x64mm
.416 member

#384231 - 17/04/24 05:50 AM

Quote:

Would love to hear more about your cast loads and your rifle when you can.

I didn't mention it above, but based on the November hunting trip, I invested in a range finder, as I had passed on a shot the day before because of distance. I borrowed my hunting partner's range finder later that day and found our I was definitely more conservative than I needed to be. On the plus side, I suspect I shot the same deer a day later, but on firm ground vs having to haul him out of a marsh.

I will also be practicing much more with any new-to-me rifle before going into the woods with it -- confidence in your gun, load and abilities is critical to fully enjoying the moment, vs over thinking.

Here's my reloading info CJF
Hope it helps,
93x64mm

My cast moulds are from CBE here in Oz, always top notch service!

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post377464

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #384235 - 17/04/24 08:36 AM

Quote:

Couldn't agree more, practicing with the rifle is not only good fun but makes a huge difference in the field. Muscle memory and confidence are the key.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #384236 - 17/04/24 08:40 AM

Quote:

My cast moulds are from CBE here in Oz, always top notch service!

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post377464

I have just been talking to Gordon from CBE as I have purchased a set of dies for my Paradox, he is a fantastic chap and very knowledgeable. Almost everyone in our club uses his dies and all are happy with the results. He sends all around the world.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1961

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com