Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: opinions wanted-Pedersoli .50-90 rolling block

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
577Enfield
.275 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: BC-Canada
opinions wanted-Pedersoli .50-90 rolling block
      #38175 - 26/09/05 01:09 PM

I have found a reasonably priced Navy Arms(is that Pedersoli?) Rolling block rifle in .50-90 Are these rifles any good?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Metswedi
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/05
Loc: Yorks. England
Re: opinions wanted-Pedersoli .50-90 rolling block [Re: 577Enfield]
      #38233 - 27/09/05 02:35 AM

I only have experience of the Pedersoli Rolling Block 45.70. That was extremely well made, sturdy and VERY accurate with a great out of the box trigger.

I own a Pedersoli sharps in 45.70 and if I'd shot the Rolling Block before I'd bought the sharps, the sharps would still be on the dealer's shelf.

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

577Enfield
.275 member

Re: opinions wanted-Pedersoli .50-90 rolling block [Re: Metswedi]
      #38238 - 27/09/05 03:07 AM

thanks for the post, sounds good.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #38312 - 28/09/05 07:44 AM

I have owned a Rolling Block - probably Pedersoli - the one sold by Navy Arms way back when.
: Originally, for me, it was barreled up with an extra heavy 1-1/4" 36" Hoch .45 barrel chambered for the RCBS & Bell 3-1/4" case.
: After having the barrel ruined by a local gun smith, I re-barreled it with a McGowen #5, 24" twist .50 cal barrel chambered for the .50 Alaskan, 28" long. The gun weight came out at 11 1/2lbs. with that barrel - perfect for heavy loads with mild recoil. The reason for this case was the ease of getting .348 brass. They held 90gr. 2F with a 520gr. Lyman or RCBS 550gr. bullets. I also shot smokeless in it with the same 520gr. and 550 gr. RCBS bullets up to 1,950fps. The 450gr. Lyman mould went a bit faster, in the 2,100fps range.
; Check to see if it has a small firing pin. It may or may not have one. The reason is for handling higher than 28,000PSI pressures if it has the small pin installed. It isn't necessary for fairly heavy loads. The action is certainly up to it, being a large #1 size action. This action was tested by Val Forget and Ken Waters up to some amazing pressures, much higher than most guys would ever attempt, as in the 50,000PSI ranges- not recommeneded, by the way. This was a blow-up test by them- don't do it as those pressures aren't necessary for even very powerful loads.
: Ken used it with his .45 2-3/4" case with 400gr. Speers at over 2,000fps, a feat which is easy at relatively low pressure in the larger cases.
: In 50-90, even with the large pin, (if that's what it has), you can drive the heavy bullets in the 1,900fps range, creating about as much recoil as you would want in a sporter weight rifle. They are well made actions, very strong for a rolling block, and very worthwhile having.
: As well, excellent tang sights are available.
: What is the twist of that .50 cal barrel? Most of the Shilo Sharps have a 36" twist which is most suitable for short slugs in the 450gr. range. Their .50's have been shot with 600gr. projectiles, but those will not be properly stabilized and probably won't have good long range accuracy, nor will they be particularly stable DURING penetration of game animals. If the bullet doesn't go in a straigth line, it isn't usable. Stick with 450gr. in the slow twists. If it has 48" twist, consider re-barreleing it with a McGowen barrel. He can not only chamber, but can sell a pre-threaded barrel for that action that fits correctly. that was the problem locally, up here in the bush.
: The McGowen barrel I bought was a 1-1/2MOA shooter to 300yds. In fact, with iron sights, it shot 1-1/2" at 100meters, 1-1/2" at 200meters and 3" at 300meters off the bench - with duplex BP loads & RCBS 550gr. bullet. It shot about the same with smokelss at 100, but 4" at 300meters - iron sights, remember. the bullet, partially overstabilized close up, settled down for incredible accuracy down range.
: HEY- .577 - wonder if that's mine???- if so, it isn't chambered for the 2-1/2" .50/90 Sharps case, but we still called it a 50-90. It's chambered for the 2.1" .50/.348Alaskan IMP. (straight case) I traded it to Leatherbelly and he has since sold it - quite a while ago, I believe. It could very well be the one I had - if so, it's VERY accurate & will easily win the Heffley Creek Silouette shoot- or hunting for that matter. If so, contct me by E-mail and I'll give you the loads it liked best. I think I've still got my data.
: If the price is good, and it has the proper twist (anything faster than 36") then buy it. You'll not regret it, I'm sure.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (28/09/05 07:49 AM)

577Enfield
.275 member

Re: opinions wanted-Pedersoli .50-90 rolling block [Re: DarylS]
      #38327 - 28/09/05 09:27 AM

wow, thanks for the post! lots of good info, I am going to have to really consider it. I need a rifle that will cover the foot pounds requirement for Bison in BC. I think it is a 180gr minimum bullet at 2000+ foot pounds energy at 100 yards, I forget exactly and I don't have the regs in front of me right now.

I think .303 British can make this minimum, just barely, but I would not feel comfortable using it for a quick clean kill. My .577 Sniders shoot heavy enough lead, but slow and the foot pounds just are not up that high at 100yd.

I'll let you know if I decide to get it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #38376 - 29/09/05 01:58 AM

Please don't use a .303 for buffalo - they act kinda bullet proof when pestered by small bores.
: I watched a video of a local's buff hunt some years ago where the hunter used an '06 with 180gr. Nosler Partitions. He shot the buffalo first through the lungs, rather high, but still in the lungs - I saw the impact and spray out the entrance. Over the next 27 minutes, he shot the buff another 12 or 13 times, all exactly in the same place - every shot was visible. The buff went down the hillside a long way after the first shot, then merely stood his ground, walking a few steps only, but refusing to go down.
: I do know the guides in Alaska recommend .375H&H.
: Buffalo secume to the 9.3X64 rather well, but then, it's mostly a rimless version of the .375, ballistically, except for the .366" bullet.
: A Marlin 45-70, with good bullets will work just fine on buffalo, as well.
: Please don't use a minimal ctg. the buffalo deserve a quick death which the .303 is rather unlikely to deliver. It is nasty endeavour, to shoot and shoot and shoot with seemingly NO EFFECT. That is what happened to the bloke with the '06.
: Yes - those who use solids know a single shot into the mellon or through both shoulders would have dropped it - of course, but when trying to save every ounce of meat, guys here revert to deer tactics and shoot for the lungs only. Oh yeah - solids are illegal for shooting game animals here, btw.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

577Enfield
.275 member

Re: opinions wanted-Pedersoli .50-90 rolling block [Re: DarylS]
      #38383 - 29/09/05 02:57 AM

Daryl,
I sure won't use a 303 for them, if I ever get the draw for one I'll get something that hits really hard for sure. I think the Snider would even do okay, even with the foot pounds a bit low, but a quick follow up shot cannot be done with those old things. The rolling block would be quicker and hit harder than my Sniders.

A buddy of mine had to kill a Bison last year on a farm in SK, all they had was a Lee-Enfield, took a lot of shots. I would have done it different but was not there.

I do like old technology, but I should really get a Ruger#1 Tropical and be done with it. But the 50-90 seems like it would be a lot of fun too.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3072

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com