Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP
      #383418 - 14/03/24 02:45 AM

Alas I was let shoot a number of black powder handguns at mebclub a month ago. One was a Remington 1858 replica. A walker or dragoon revolver was also in attendance. And a Colt 1851 or 1860.

Alas I was also told second hand they were cheap!

So a near completely new Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP revolver is on its way to me. A$245 so not expensive. The two dealer transfer fees of $200 does hurt though.

Needs one nipple replaced on the revolver cylinder. I'd like one or more extra cylinders. And FFFG BP, that may take a while. Ball mould, wads, caps etc, powder flask. I have a measure already. And a holster of course!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: NitroX]
      #383422 - 14/03/24 04:38 AM

Neat - there is a conversion "kit"(includes cylinder and firing pin plate) for that revolver to convert it to .45 Schofield or Colt, as well as these kits for all the other cap and ball revolvers.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/uberti-1860-45-colt-kk1860u.html

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: DarylS]
      #383424 - 14/03/24 06:45 AM

You’re going to love that thing!
Just as I mentioned in the other cap & ball revolver thread, the 44cal versions of the Army and Navy revolvers are the best.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

FlatTop45
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/16
Loc: South Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: Huvius]
      #383425 - 14/03/24 06:56 AM

Nice revolver. It appears to be in good shape and it has good case coloring on the frame. I've always been a big fan of single-action sixguns and have more than a few, but no cap and ball guns as of yet. However, I do own a Uberti sixgun in .38 Special. It's a Colt Single Action Army relica on a 3/4 scale frame (Cimarron's version of the Uberti Stallion). Not as tough as my Rugers, but it's nicely balanced, the fit and finish on mine is excellent, and it just feels good in the hand. Definitely one of my favorites.

From the photos, it looks like some improvements were made to yours by the prior owner. The front sight appears to have been replaced with a larger, patridge type. Much better than the rounded, thin blade that comes from the factory in my opinion, the factory ones are just too thin for me. I'm wondering if the rounded notch on the hammer that serves as the rear sight could be squared up to give you a better sight picture. I seem to remember reading about someone doing that somewhere. However, I can't recall if the hammers and frames Uberti uses are actually case-hardened or just colored that way using chemicals, like Ruger did on their Vaquero revolvers. (Over time and use, the coloring on those frames rubs off.) So, if your hammer is case hardened, squaring the notch might be more difficult than it sounds. One of the other members may be able to answer that for you.

Enjoy your new sixgun! They are a lot of fun to own and shoot, but you have to be careful. They can be quite addictive!

J

Edited by FlatTop45 (14/03/24 06:58 AM)

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: Huvius]
      #383426 - 14/03/24 06:58 AM

Well done John!
It will be a load of fun creating loads of smoke - will keep the mossies away!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383440 - 15/03/24 02:45 AM

Quote:

Neat - there is a conversion "kit"(includes cylinder and firing pin plate) for that revolver to convert it to .45 Schofield or Colt, as well as these kits for all the other cap and ball revolvers.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/uberti-1860-45-colt-kk1860u.html

Quote:

Kirst Konverter for Uberti 1860 45 Colt Schofield
Be the first to review this product
$394.79
In stock
Item Number KK1860U
Details
We are now offering a Kirst Cartridge Konverter for the 1860 Colt made by Uberti. These can be fitted to the 2nd and 3rd generation Colts, usually with very little adjustment. The 1860 model is a five shot, 45 Schofield with safety notches between each chamber, featuring a beautiful color case hardened Konverter Ring and Loading Gate. Our currently offered 1861 Colt Ejector also fits the 1860 barrel perfectly (item #KKEA1860PU). No FFL required, SASS legal and lifetime manufacturer warranty. All Kirst Cartridge Konverters are precision CNC machined in the USA from 4140 steel and heat-treated. They cylinders are rated "For Black Powder or Equivalent Loads Only" which includes the current Cowboy Loads on the market. The Kirst Cartridge Konverter must NEVER be installed in brass frame revolvers or .36 caliber pistols. Not recommended for original antique revolvers.

If you have a second generation Colt it may have been made by Pietta or Uberti. In order to tell you must measure the length of the cylinder from the base of the cylinder to the face of the cylinder. The Pietta will measure 1.91" and the Uberti will measure 1.87".

Please see our selection of cowboy ammunition.

Yes I saw .45 LC cylinders were available.

The ones I looked at seemed to have a plate at the back of the cylinder with firing pins etc. But looked like it could only be replaced by taking the whole cylinder out.

This one looks like it might be able to be reloaded by thumbing open that little "latch"? And singly loaded round by round?

Looks like a worthwhile addition.

One or more extra black powder cylinders would be useful too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: NitroX]
      #383442 - 15/03/24 03:30 AM

This is a new cylinder and has a single loading gate and firing pin. Pretty cool stuff.
When you get your revolver, measure the cylinder mouth diameters - all 6 of them and record the numbers. Measure the groove to groove diameter as well.
The cylinder should be .001" to .002" larger than the groove diameter, then you use a ball that is about .003" to .004" larger than the new cylinder diameter. If the mouth of the cylinder has nicely rounded & smooth corner, instead of sharp, when you seat the ball, it will draw(swage) into the chamber and not shave. This will give an even tighter fit into the cylinder & LENGTHEN the ball slightly, also improving accuracy.
Once these changes are made, this cap 'n ball revolver will shoot better than about any modern .38, 9mm, .357 or .45 Colt revolver, accuracy wise.
We've done this to a bunch of them, from the 1847 Walker to the 1885 Remington. Great improvement in all of them.

--------------------
Daryl

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #383447 - 15/03/24 01:08 PM

Nice score! I have a couple of the Uberti 1860's as well as a newer "Colt" 2nd Generation 1860 (said to be assembled in the USA of parts from Uberti?).
You just cannot beat the 1860 for pointability, feel, looks, fun, & accuracy.
Follow what Darryl said about chamber mouth vs barrel groove diameter.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: 3DogMike]
      #383451 - 15/03/24 11:48 PM

Nice one John! I started my black powder adventure with a revolver, a cheap brass framed one. My wife got it for me for Christmas '73. I took it to the farm to try it out that afternoon. All the men went with me to see the spectacle!!! And a spectacle it was! I failed to put grease over the balls and had serious chain fire, like all six went off at once! The ball in bottom cylinder lodged in frame. Oddly enough it didn't damage the gun or ME! I shot it for many years afterward until the frame got hammered out, giving the cyl a lot of play. I then made a steel ring to take up the play and shot it some more! Sold or traded it, I don't remember.....Have fun!...LK

--------------------
Longknife

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: Longknife]
      #383477 - 18/03/24 06:04 AM

Agree or not, the 1860 Army is the most elegant single action revolver ever made. I dearly love them, especially once a taller fron sight is installed.

Yes, you can take a needle file to the hammer notch rear sight and widen, deepen and square it up. I've done it with all my several percussion revolvers, (1849's, 51's, 60's and 62's). It makes all the difference in the world regarding accuracy. With a new front sight carefully filed in, most will shoot with any modern revolver.

The big Dragoons are cool but too heavy unless you're horseback and using pommel holsters. They're fun at the bench.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: sharps4590]
      #383478 - 18/03/24 09:36 AM

Have to agree with that. The 1860 Army is the best handling of all of them, however my Bro shoots cowboy action with a pair of 1851 Navy's and does really well.
The civilian model I had with fluted cylinder was even nicer. (imho)

--------------------
Daryl

sharps4590
.333 member

#383481 - 18/03/24 10:06 AM

I like the 51 Navies and one of those was my first C&B revolver.....goodness, 49 years ago!!!! A couple years ago I picked up an 1861...or is it 62...Navy. Like an 1860 only the cylinder isn't rebated. It's pretty sweet as well, I just like the 44's better.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #383503 - 19/03/24 07:24 AM

LK
How does a 'çhain fire' start when all the balls are rammed into the cylinder?
I must be missing something here????

sharps4590
.333 member

Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: 93x64mm]
      #383516 - 19/03/24 12:45 PM

One of the explanations I've frequently read is they don't start at the front. Somehow a spark gets around a cap or perhaps a cap fell off and they start at the back. Never having experienced a chain fire I have nothing personal to draw from. I don't know. I would like to keep it that way.

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #383518 - 19/03/24 07:17 PM

I was always led to believe they start at the front, hence the need to front-fill with Vaseline or similar.

Most of my cap'n'ball shooting has been with an 1856 3rd Model Tranter, and I would NEVER forego the Vaseline seal. Might be possible to go buy another Uberti, Pietta,
or Ruger Old Army at the local gunshop, but wrecking an original Tranter would be unforgivable.

One year I came second in the black powder aggregate at the Arafura Pistol Club with that Tranter, top-scoring over all those modern spaghetti guns and stainless Rugers.
Beaten only by a Webley .22 single-shot with modified chamber insert! Not technically cheating by the letter of the law, but hardly in the spirit of the event!
Some R-soles will go to any lengths to win...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

sharps4590
.333 member

Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: Marrakai]
      #383528 - 20/03/24 02:23 AM

That's the same thing I heard for decades. I've always used a BP lube, usually of my own making, over the ball and in almost 50 years have never had a chain fire. Even so, to me it seems amazingly difficult for a spark to get past a swaged in ball without lube, then get past all that remain.

By the same token, unless a cap has fallen off, as tight as my caps fit, it seems it would be quite a feat for a spark to get past a cap and then all that remain.

I expect that's why I qualified my previous post with, "I don't know" and hope to never find out. All I know for a fact is they do occur.

Edited by sharps4590 (20/03/24 02:25 AM)

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #383530 - 20/03/24 04:17 AM

I've never had a chain fire either - touch wood - always use BP lube over the balls tho.

Now "maybe" if one had ill fitting or undersized balls the flash over could cause the event?

………….Having undersized balls is a terrible embarrassment

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Something new, Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP [Re: 3DogMike]
      #383531 - 20/03/24 05:04 AM

LOL Mike. I nor my bro has every had a chain fire, either, using cap and ball revolvers.
I cannot 'see" how it could occur, but do fill the chamber mouths with grease of one sort or another. Back in the 70's, I like everyone else, used Crisco shortening.

--------------------
Daryl

Longknife
.333 member

#383608 - 24/03/24 11:30 PM

The chain fire begins at the front of the cylinder. I have shot revolvers at night and you would be surprised at how much fire blasts out of between the cylinder and the barrel. Yes , the chain fire was from poor fitting, irregular balls. I began using Crisco over the balls which eliminated the problem but accuracy was lousy. I picked up the correct perfectly round Ball size from a gun show, I believe they were .454 and the accuracy was great. I could actually cut a ring off of the ball when loading.

--------------------
Longknife

Longknife
.333 member

#383609 - 24/03/24 11:32 PM

Man,,, $400 for a conversion cylinder??? You could but another gun for that!!

--------------------
Longknife

DarylS
.700 member

#383613 - 25/03/24 03:33 AM

Yes, but - you wouldn't have a "conversion" revolver.
My bro, just for kicks, did that with a Uberti 1849 .32 "pocket" revolver.
It's fun to shoot.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383624 - 25/03/24 07:10 AM

Quote:

Man,,, $400 for a conversion cylinder??? You could but another gun for that!!

Not here.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383625 - 25/03/24 07:12 AM

Quote:

Yes, but - you wouldn't have a "conversion" revolver.
My bro, just for kicks, did that with a Uberti 1849 .32 "pocket" revolver.
It's fun to shoot.

I'll probably get one, one day. Would be fun. And not be another handgun on my licence.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 619

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com