Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers
      #375840 - 04/04/23 11:37 PM

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/academ...iolent-killers/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: NitroX]
      #375841 - 04/04/23 11:43 PM

Academics Want Kids to Know That Toy Guns are Dangerous and Could Turn Them Into Violent Killers
By TTAG Contributor -March 28, 202396

Shutterstock
◀Previous PostNext Post▶
By Frederick Rivara, University of Washington and Laura Prater, University of Washington

[Curious Kids is a series for children of all ages. If you have a question you’d like an expert to answer, send it to curiouskidsus@theconversation.com.]
Why don’t parents like their kids to play with fake guns? – Henry, age 11, Somerville, Massachusetts

A major reason parents don’t like kids to play with pretend guns is they’re afraid you’ll get hurt.

It can be hard for others to tell if a gun is real or just a toy. While you and your friends might be able to tell it’s a harmless game, others won’t be so sure. Someone could mistake your toy gun for a real gun, see you as a threat and try to defend themselves, hurting you in the process.

Hundreds of children die because of gun violence each year in the United States. Because of these numbers, people like us – a pediatrician who has worked on firearm violence for 40 years and a firearm injury prevention researcher – are very concerned about firearms that are not stored properly and the injuries they can cause.

Some of the toy guns available for kids and parents to buy look very much like real guns, including pistols and rifles. Because these toys look so real, kids who come across a real gun may not realize it’s dangerous and not a toy. They may pick it up, fiddle around with it, point it at a friend or themselves and pull the trigger. More than 100 children are killed each year in the U.S. because they or a friend were handling a gun that unintentionally went off.

Violent games encourage violence
Playing with toy guns can also affect the way you interact with the world and think about how to solve problems. Researchers have found that just seeing weapons can make people act more aggressively – this is called the weapons effect, and it applies to toy guns.

After watching a movie that contains a lot of gun violence, kids tend to be more interested in playing with guns, too. These are reasons parents may want to limit kids’ exposure to movies and TV shows that feature guns and prefer for kids to play with nonweapon toys.

Playing games that involve violence can make you more comfortable with violence and aggression. Kids can even become more violent themselves. Researchers have found that kids who play a lot of violent video games tend to show more signs of aggression than those who don’t play them.

We worry that kids who play a lot of shooting video games and with toy guns will believe that settling arguments with violence and guns is the right thing to do, when there are more constructive ways to resolve disputes.

Real guns are not toys
Adults who have firearms at home have a responsibility to keep them locked up and to prevent anyone from inappropriately accessing and using them. But some people who have firearms don’t lock them up. Or they keep them loaded with ammunition, which is very unsafe. It is always best to treat a gun as if it is real and loaded.

What should kids do if they find a firearm in their home or at a friend’s? The answer is very simple: Do not touch it. Leave it alone and tell an adult – even if you think it may be a toy. Checking it out yourself may cause the gun to go off accidentally and hurt someone if it turns out to be real.

The same is true at school. If you find a gun or hear classmates talking about a firearm, tell a teacher. Even if you worry your friends will get mad, telling a teacher could help prevent a serious or even deadly injury.

Parents who are responsible gun owners will teach their children about gun safety and how to handle and shoot them safely. But if you’re a school-age kid, you should never handle a gun by yourself.

Playing with or handling guns – real or fake – is dangerous and can be deadly.

Hello, curious kids! Do you have a question you’d like an expert to answer? Ask an adult to send your question to CuriousKidsUS@theconversation.com. Please tell us your name, age and the city where you live.

And since curiosity has no age limit – adults, let us know what you’re wondering, too. We won’t be able to answer every question, but we will do our best.The Conversation

Frederick Rivara, Professor of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of Washington and Laura Prater, Research Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Washington.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #375850 - 05/04/23 01:32 AM

"Academics Want Kids to Know That Toy Guns are Dangerous and Could Turn Them Into Violent Killers
By TTAG Contributor -March 28, 202396"

I didn't turn into a violent killer, nor did any of my friends or my brother.

Maybe it's NOT the guns?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: DarylS]
      #375858 - 05/04/23 04:09 AM

I've corrected it.

"Academics Want Kids to Know That Democrats are Dangerous and Could Turn Them Into Violent Killers"

--------------------
John aka NitroX

fjrdoc
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/22
Loc: United States
      #375866 - 05/04/23 10:08 AM

Maybe it's violent video games or the movie industry.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: fjrdoc]
      #375868 - 05/04/23 10:13 AM

Or "Academics are Dangerous and Could Turn Your Kids Into Violent Killers.

--------------------
Daryl

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #375883 - 06/04/23 02:37 AM

Interesting bs. Every kid I knew growing up has a sixgun that shot real caps and played cowboys and Indians or cops and robbers.

It is very strange that none of these kids turned into violent thugs and killers.

--------------------
RB

yumastepside
.333 member

Reged: 25/10/15
Loc: Tasmania Australia
Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: 85lc]
      #375946 - 09/04/23 08:00 AM

I grew up watching " Combat " on tv, westerns, cop shows. everything with a bit of action and adventure ( along with Disneyland, comedies and everything else )...have'nt killed anyone yet....still a big fan of pep'e le pew, foghorn leghorn and all the other " inapropriate " characters...

Roger

--------------------
If you live for a thousand years, you still only have one life, don't waste it.

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: yumastepside]
      #375949 - 09/04/23 07:43 PM

Must admit not a fan of toy guns, nor video games with lots of shooting. And especially not for kids. However I am absolutely a fan of teaching kids how to properly use tools from a young age, whether its a knife, saw, an axe or a gun. Teach them how to use them safely and responsibly. And also that a knife or a gun can very easily and very quickly turn a living being into meat. And that there is no way of making it better.

And in this modern world we do need to ask why some kids feel so angry with society that they turn to violence as the solution. But this is the question that nobody wants to ask - usual response is to ban this or that etc, rather than asking the hard questions, and then working very hard to find the solutions.

There are solutions, but the ban and blame culture is clearly not the answer.

Edited by HeymSR20 (09/04/23 07:45 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: yumastepside]
      #375950 - 09/04/23 11:01 PM

Quote:

I grew up watching " Combat " on tv, westerns, cop shows. everything with a bit of action and adventure ( along with Disneyland, comedies and everything else )...have'nt killed anyone yet....still a big fan of pep'e le pew, foghorn leghorn and all the other " inapropriate " characters...

Roger

Me too. I remember watching Comat every week. Westerns were good. Notice how few old westerns are available today on modern cable services. Except for modern remakes and some few semi old faithfuls. All the homosexual character modern westerns are available of course.

I long for decent aeventure stories.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: 85lc]
      #375951 - 09/04/23 11:20 PM

Quote:

Interesting bs. Every kid I knew growing up has a sixgun that shot real caps and played cowboys and Indians or cops and robbers.

It is very strange that none of these kids turned into violent thugs and killers.

I had a black metal white ivory plastic handled 1873 Colt revolver capgun. The sort with a paper roll of caps that went bang, made sparks and smelt beautiful. After a while I used it single shot with single torn off paper caps. Great fun. Have found my three year old cowboy outfit. This Colt came later. I hope it is lost somewhere in my boxes and piles of junk somewhere to be found one-day.

Of course I plan a real ,45 Colt 1873 revolver, and a matching replica 1873 Winchester also in .45 Colt. I know the original LA 1873s were not in .45 Colt but I want marching ammo.

Boys playing with toy guns. Cap guns, water pistols, potato guns, replicas, gel guns , air rifles, etc are natural for small boys and many girls, fun play. Active kids outdoors. Far healthier than video games inside all day.

Like everyone else, it never led me to kill or shoot even a single person.

It's not playing with toy guns or using real ones which leads to sociopathic murder sprees. Kids brought up in traditional happy constructive families, taught decency and healthy values rarely turn out that way.

Poor innocent children exposed to perverts, trendy negative philosophies, sociopathic parenting, and even worse are groomed into future negative lives.

These same academics are very much part of the causes of the problems.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

LTK
.224 member

Reged: 27/02/24
Loc: Alberta Canada
      #383022 - 02/03/24 01:03 AM

Had this discussion with a good friend MANY years ago. He was absolutely against "toy" guns and would never allow any of his kids to have one. To sum up his position, "Guns are not toys". For the record, he is an AVID shooter with more guns to even count. I understand his position and respect it, however, my position differed. My son was allowed to have toy guns ever since he showed an interest (about 5 or 6 years old maybe). HOWEVER, the rule was that if he was caught pointing one at ANYONE, they would ALL be taken away and, yes, he had his toy guns taken away a few times. To my way of thinking, "toy" guns are a great way to teach kids safe gun handling when making a mistake (something we ALL do from time to time) has no REAL consequences other than losing them for a week or so. By the time he was old enough to start shooting/handling the real thing, muzzle awareness and "finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot" were a habit and second nature.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: LTK]
      #383024 - 02/03/24 04:18 AM

I've always thought the 1873's WERE .45 Colt chambered, but it was the S&W Schofields (also issued) that were chambered for the .45 S&W, a 1/10" shorter than the Colt ctg. which of course, would not chamber the longer case.
I shot a borrowed Schofield in .45 S&W in a cowboy action match.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: fjrdoc]
      #383033 - 02/03/24 11:02 AM

Quote:

We watched all the movies, war movies, cowboys and indians using play guns - disproves the movie industry & toy guns bit, however, the video games are likely something else, especially with the modern graphics & glorification of these games.
Of course, current "politics" also fuels such crime.

--------------------
Daryl

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #383044 - 03/03/24 03:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

We watched all the movies, war movies, cowboys and indians using play guns - disproves the movie industry & toy guns bit, however, the video games are likely something else, especially with the modern graphics & glorification of these games.
Of course, current "politics" also fuels such crime.

Not to mention that at least in the USA most of the "gun violence" is confined to one or two very specific demographics.
FACT: Remove those "certain diversity types" and the USA would be on par with most of the (pre immigration) Westernized countries as to firearm and overall violence.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: 3DogMike]
      #383050 - 03/03/24 07:37 AM

Same here with where the gun violence is prevalent. Gangs & big cities.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383056 - 03/03/24 03:33 PM

Quote:

I've always thought the 1873's WERE .45 Colt chambered, but it was the S&W Schofields (also issued) that were chambered for the .45 S&W, a 1/10" shorter than the Colt ctg. which of course, would not chamber the longer case.
I shot a borrowed Schofield in .45 S&W in a cowboy action match.

1873 Colt revolvers were .45 Long Colt.

I referred to the Winchester 1873 replicas where the originals were .44 but replicas can be had in .45 LC.

I want the revolver and lever action using the same ammunition.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383057 - 03/03/24 03:40 PM

On topic, give young boys especially, and young girls if interested, water pistols, toy guns.

Let them play water pistol fights, play Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers.

Teach kids the difference between a toy and a real gun. Play with a toy. NEVER point a real gun at a person.

Most important teach children the difference between right and wrong.

Toy guns don't create school kid mass murderers.

Divorce does. Family break up. Teaching hatred.
Drugs used by youth does.
Discipline, lack of, and a lack of a decent family home life does.

It isn't a coincidence almost every school shooting perpetrator has come from a Democrat household.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#383066 - 04/03/24 04:02 AM

No arguments from me, John & your last sentence has been verified. - same with the last New Zealand mosk shooter. A libtard, which is why his manifesto was made illegal to be shown to the public by the communist C Prime Ministris.

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
      #383215 - 07/03/24 11:55 PM

Praise God I grew up when I did, during those terribly unsafe, respectful, faithful, God fearing, conservative 1950's and early 1960's, when men were still men....and there is any number of profound or humorous ways to complete that.....

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: sharps4590]
      #383273 - 09/03/24 09:30 PM

believe it or now but toy guns are a serious collector theme, must be like new in the original package

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Toy guns are dangerous and turn kids into violent killers [Re: lancaster]
      #383277 - 10/03/24 01:45 AM

Quote:

believe it or now but toy guns are a serious collector theme, must be like new in the original package

Yes. I looked at some yesterday. One was a lovely, "as real" cowboy revolver. In a case. With six snap cap cartridges. $350. Luckily forme, SOLD.

That money is better put to a real one.

I'll have to post the pictures.

I'd love to find my old Black with ivory grips 1873 Colt, good steel construction, from the late 1960s or 70s.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383407 - 13/03/24 07:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes. I looked at some yesterday. One was a lovely, "as real" cowboy revolver. In a case. With six snap cap cartridges. $350. Luckily forme, SOLD.

That money is better put to a real one.

A Uberti Colt Army 1860 .44 BP is on the way to me very soon.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#383416 - 14/03/24 02:23 AM

Just as long as it doesn't have pearl scales.
("their ivory, ivory boy - only a pimp in a New Orleans whore house would have pearl grips")

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383417 - 14/03/24 02:38 AM

My toy Colt 1873 in the 1970s was black and had "ivory" scales,

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2081

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com