Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stupid question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
yamoon
.275 member

Reged: 19/06/22
Loc: Kansas USA
Stupid question
      #383341 - 11/03/24 11:38 AM

Everyone is entitled to one stupid question, here’s mine. My 1910 has a 2 leaf original sight one leaf is marked 300 I assume that is meters, the other is unmarked. In trying to work up a load, the 235 gr Speer is printing 10 inches high at 100 yards with a velocity of 2250. I assumed the unmarked leaf was 100 meters, could I be wrong, could it be 200 meters? I am looking for at least 2400 fps with the 235 gr. I haven’t started working on a load for the Hornaday 270 gr RN yet.
Mike

--------------------
Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Stupid question [Re: yamoon]
      #383342 - 11/03/24 12:30 PM

I would suggest work up your loads, then check how the sights align with range.
I thought perhaps a 1910 might have sights in yards, but with loading so early in it's life I feel no judgment can be made.
I've thought the 270gr. was the bullet the sights were likely set for.
Perhaps the 9.5x57 lacks the zeroing trait that .375H&H and my .375/06IMP enjoy, where the different bullet weights strike together.
Depending on how you are holding the rifle on the rest, the 235's might shoot lower when you get closer to it's preferred loads.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Stupid question [Re: yamoon]
      #383346 - 11/03/24 04:00 PM

Not a stupid question at all. If the 1910 has English proofs then the sights would most likely be in yards, or at least supposed to be. The fact it shoots high is not uncommon with older rifles, especially the Mannlichers. My 1903 shot high about the same amount with 160 grain bullets at the original velocity regardless of what changes I made with the reloading. I then bought a taller front sight from NECG which needed some modification to fit the original base. It was the shortest taller base that I could get but then the rifle shot way to low. So in the end I 3D printed a number in plastic in 0.004" steps and kept progressively going higher one base at a time until I found the correct height. Now it works perfectly, just have to make a new base of that correct height in steel and brass.

You could file the rear leaf but you might find that you very quickly can't see the bottom of the V any longer as they are often quite low to start with.

As I can't use the NECG one you are more than welcome to try it and see how much effect it has on your rifle. If you PM me your details I will send it over.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Stupid question [Re: DarylS]
      #383349 - 11/03/24 09:08 PM

Quote:

I've thought the 270gr. was the bullet the sights were likely set for.

Correct.

Eley specifications for 9.5X57 / .375 Nitro Express Rimless:

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 305

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com