Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mozambique Oct 2023

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
Mozambique Oct 2023
      #383324 - 11/03/24 02:55 AM

I hunted with Valie Enslin of That's Africa Safaris and I was his first American Client. We hunted a game reserve (no fences, all free range)totalling 367K acres bordering the Gonarezhou National park in Zim and the Save river to the North.

Crossing the Limpopo

Last petrol before we headed in to camp.

Camp was comfortable, the food was very good, the rooms had bathrooms and showers with hot and cold water, electricity was provided by generator.

I saw plenty of wildlife, both species were were targeting and ones we were not.

A couple of bulls at a pan getting a mid-day drink.

A very nice Kudo

Nyala bull, the most beautiful of the antelope species to my eye.

I was in awe of the size of my Eland bull, just huge. It is amazing how such a big animal can be so graceful.

Nice sold bosses on my buff but not that wide. Might have to try for another on a future trip.

I very much enjoyed my first African safari and will return again. Valie was an excellent PH, the Shangaan trackers were truly amazing. The food and accommodation were quite good.

It was HOT! By far the hottest I have ever experienced during a hunting trip. The bright side was that you can see farther during the dry season and the animals congregate around the pans. That said, I might try a cooler period next trip.

I will certainly return.

This trip was a bit of a business venture as well in that Valie wants to break into the American market, his current clientele is mostly European and South Africans. I will be marketing hunts for him in the future, in Mozambique, South Africa and possibly some additional locations. I'm already planning my return trip.

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Mozambique Oct 2023 [Re: bouldersmith]
      #383327 - 11/03/24 03:33 AM

Thick boss on that buff.
Very successful hunt.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Mozambique Oct 2023 [Re: DarylS]
      #383331 - 11/03/24 07:20 AM

Well done mate!
Certainly a score in regards to plains game, some fine animals taken indeed.
You really had been bitten by the 'African' bug, hope the next trip is better & cooler!

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Mozambique Oct 2023 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #383333 - 11/03/24 07:41 AM

Awesome hunt and thanks for posting!!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Mozambique Oct 2023 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #383338 - 11/03/24 10:43 AM

Ripper hunt, Fantastic animals, I bet you had a ripper of a time. Thanks for posting.

What gun and cartridge were you using.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #383339 - 11/03/24 10:45 AM

Looks like it was a top hunt. Nothing wrong with that Buff. Forget the width of the horns, it is the age, they don't get old by being stupid and he looks old. Also, the boss to me, is more important than width. That is a big solid boss, a lot of photos of trophy buff have wide horns, but the boss is not joined solidly in the middle and are younger.

Well done.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Mozambique Oct 2023 [Re: Rule303]
      #383343 - 11/03/24 02:13 PM

Quote:

Looks like it was a top hunt. Nothing wrong with that Buff. Forget the width of the horns, it is the age, they don't get old by being stupid and he looks old. Also, the boss to me, is more important than width. That is a big solid boss, a lot of photos of trophy buff have wide horns, but the boss is not joined solidly in the middle and are younger.

My thoughts exactly. That cape buffalo is a trophy by the nature of those mature solid big bosses.Length inches and silly scores are irrelevant. A goob bossed old mature bull is a real trophy. A young soft bossed bull with the bosses artificially built up with putty is not.

I was once told, "if it looks good on the wall, that's what is important." I had just turned down an old broomed off water buffalo bull. I got a big long horned mature bull two days later. But that broomed bull would look great on the wall too. A problem was hecwas the first bull we saw,nfirst morning. I remember him being the most aggressive as well. Breaking down a tree, coming back at us to face us down.

The cottage looks like a typical Zim National Parks style cottage. I've stayed in a couple of similar ones. Not lush but comfortable, I like the thatched ceilings and roofs.

Amazing, eh? Fuel in cooking oil bottles.

Lovely kudu, nyala and eland. Three of the more impressive species. Lovely trophies.

What rifle did you use?

Thanks for posting your African safari photos and comments. We've had a drought of safari threads, with few people hunting in Africa. Post more images if you wish.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Mozambique Oct 2023 [Re: NitroX]
      #383345 - 11/03/24 03:36 PM

I would agree, a trophy is what you want it to be, and it should remind you of a magnificent or difficult but thrilling hunt. The dimensions are far less important than the memory. Having said that your animals look fantastic, very impressive.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383350 - 11/03/24 10:04 PM

Boulder Smith/Steve,

Feel free to post some details of prices etc for this outfitter.

I'd love to know the price, number of days, trophy fees etc.

I'm not in the market now but might be in the future. On the thread, or by PM please,

--------------------
John aka NitroX

bouldersmith
.375 member

#383351 - 12/03/24 02:06 AM

Valie has acquired two additional large concessions in Mozambique, one not far from the Limpopo making it a short cruiser ride from Hoedspruit, the other concession is in the Niassa area and is being built early this month as a tent camp, you would fly into Mozambique for the Northernmost concession. I have four Buffalo specials this year, feel free to contact me on this thread or by pm with questions.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383375 - 12/03/24 06:10 PM

Thanks for posting.

I want to hunt Mozambique one day. Prices have certainly changed! The short buffalo hunts are reasonably affordable. But even an extra impalaor duiker is close to a thousand dollars. It may take me a bit longer to get there.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

bouldersmith
.375 member

#383411 - 13/03/24 11:28 PM

Mozambique has some of the higher trophy fees compared to other African countries. If plains game is your main goal then you might do better is SA or Namibia. Daily rates are high as well, the camps are remote and the Government requires an active anti-poaching in order to receive a lease. The concession I hunted last year had 28 full time employees, 18 of which were working in the anti-poaching unit. Mozambique is not one of the less expensive African hunting destinations, it does offer plenty of game and a real African experience. I plan on going back in 2025 myself.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 506

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com