Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle
      #382350 - 06/02/24 12:19 AM

Perhaps it is due to my first years of hunting with an FN Mauser sporting a Lyman 48 peep, I have always had a great attraction for rifles that are used with iron sights only.
Here we often hunt game that we shoot on the run when our dogs chase them, and I love a lot these "snap shot" rifles.
On the other hand, having seen, repaired and restored a few of them, I have a particular fondness for the Jeffery bolt action working rifles built first of all to be reliable tools on difficult terrain.
That's why, in my spare time, I built for my own use this particular 9.3x62.
The system is a 1930 made commercial Original Mauser 98' action for which we have reproduced the rarely encountered Mauser "single-stage shotgun-type trigger" as illustrated on page 130 of the remarkable Jon Speed "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles" book.
The barrel is a 25" Lothar Walther tube of match grade quality that has been profiled in a classic shape and the sighting is provided by a rare and superb Lyman mod.35, a flush fitted three leafs express rear sight and a very special hand made front sight that takes up the standards of the pre-war models used by Jeffery.
The stock has been made from an old French walnut blank cut by Tessier in Brives at the end of the sixties. With a comb drop suitable for standing shooting, it is shaped without cheekpiece nor forend tip.
I know that it is a modernized interpretation of the classic productions of the great era, perhaps too severe, without fantasy, but it is the style that I like.
Currently in the white it will soon be finished with the greatest care and I shall be pleased to publish more pictures when completed.

Regards to all.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: DORLEAC]
      #382353 - 06/02/24 05:04 AM

Exceptionally made and presented, as usual.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

FlatTop45
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/16
Loc: South Texas, U.S.A.
Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #382359 - 06/02/24 07:00 AM

Another exceptional rifle Dorleac! I am happy to hear this one is staying with you. I'm sure she will be a wonderful hunting companion for years to come. Like any special rifle, she will be a reminder of hunts you've shared and a friend with which to share dreams of future hunts. I (if not my aging eyes) agree with you that some rifles are just better with iron sights. While a good optic does make shooting easier in many situations, I think that sometimes it can be too much of a good thing. In my opinion, a stalking rifle is designed to be light and handy and seeing one burdened with a scope big enough to see Venus completely ruins it for me. Sometimes, the simplest way is best...

As it shows in this rifle.

Your photos are excellent as always. I also truly appreciate that you include pictures of the internal mechanisms of your rifles and the careful attention to detail taken by you and your team. It speaks volumes about your skill and your desire to provide the finest arm you are capable of to your client. Ross Seyfried once wrote about browsing a rack of fine, double shotguns in a respected maker's shop. Many were highly engraved but he noticed the most expensive one was of a plain grade with little to no ornamentation. When he asked the maker why that one was so much more expensive than the beautiful guns, the maker replied "Sir, this one is beautiful on the inside." It turns out that that particular shotgun was made for competitive, live-bird, pigeon shooting where thousands of dollars may be bet on a single bird and the reliability of the shooter's gun is of the utmost importance...

I see that same attitude in your work.

Thank you again for sharing yet another masterwork. I always look forward to your posts.

J

fjrdoc
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/22
Loc: United States
Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: FlatTop45]
      #382362 - 06/02/24 09:27 AM

Beautiful rifle. I can't wait to see the finished product. At 62 years of age, I still hunt Pennsylvania white tails with aperture sights. I have Lyman's on my Simson Suhl Mauser and my 1905 Mannlicher and a Parker Hale on my 1910 Mannlicher. I just love how these old rifles handle without optics.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: fjrdoc]
      #382363 - 06/02/24 10:02 AM

Open sights work exceptionally well for many shooters. I had a wide V rear and bead front sight on my 9.3x57 using 270gr. Speer at 2,300fps when I shot the moose calf at a lasered 200yards. While that rifle has a scope on it now in my bro's hands, it is not needed for most big game hunting.
The Express sight and bead is an excellent sight for aging eyes as well as young ones.

--------------------
Daryl

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #382372 - 06/02/24 07:23 PM

Beautiful lines Mr D!
Exceptional work from top to bottom.
Great addition having the peep - guess that's why I like the BRNO's pop up one so much, they are so versatile & help older eyes see that bit better overall!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #382373 - 06/02/24 07:27 PM

Beautiful work Joel. I hope it brings you much pleasure in the future and on wild boar and other driven game hunts.

Single stage shotgun style trigger? I assume crisp non creep let off. What weight of trigger pull do you prefer on this rifle?

The peep sight has a lever? I assume it is quick detachable and returns to sight?

As always beautiful work. Thanks for posting. Your works and threads are much appreciated. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DORLEAC
.333 member

Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #382377 - 06/02/24 09:15 PM

This type of trigger was developed by Mauser and allows a very light let-off weight while guaranteeing the reliability of the sear engagement.
The mechanism is set at 800 grams but it is very clean, without backlash.
I have always been used to shooting very light triggers and I attach more importance to the sharpness of the let off than to its weight.
The problem with the Mauser system is that it requires an extended sear and special milling at the rear of the receiver that makes the system difficult to adapt outside of manufacturing.
The lever on the Lyman 35 locks the elevation that is controlled by the front knob that engages a gear fitted to the side of the long slide. This allows for a quick and reliable change in height...although it is rarely used.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

PatagonHunter
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/06
Loc: Bariloche, Patagonia Argentina
      #382379 - 07/02/24 12:08 AM

Love your personal rifle, Joel!
Simple working rifle.
Agree 100 % on your sentence, specially the second part: "...I ATTACH MORE IMPORTANCE TO THE SHARPNESS OF THE LET OFF THAN TO ITS WEIGHT".

Congratulations!

DarylS
.700 member

Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: PatagonHunter]
      #382380 - 07/02/24 03:15 AM

800grams = 1.76 pounds. Light, but nice!!
Got used to set triggers on my muzzleloading rifles & on my CZ 527's, so this is just about perfect for single trigger on a hunting rifle.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #382384 - 07/02/24 06:01 AM

the rifles of Monsieur Dorlac are completely boring - you find absolutely nothing to criticize

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: lancaster]
      #382442 - 11/02/24 02:11 AM

Beautiful work!

I will anxiously await seeing the finished product.

Thanks for sharing.

Curly

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: CptCurl]
      #382444 - 11/02/24 04:16 AM

Magnificent work as always Joel. Thanks for sharing.

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: degoins]
      #383129 - 06/03/24 01:49 AM

Another piece of craftsmanship from Master Joël; I love everything in that rifle and - as already mentioned by Lancaster, Dorléac's rifles are boring as they leave no room for criticism! In addition, Otto Bock's 9,3x62 is in my humble opinion a very wise choice. Which game do you expect to engage with this rifle and in which kind of hunting grounds?
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

DORLEAC
.333 member

Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: Louis]
      #383436 - 15/03/24 12:30 AM

Quote:

Which game do you expect to engage with this rifle and in which kind of hunting grounds?
Louis

Louis,

As you know there are many opportunities in our Pyrenees.
Obviously I will use this 9.3x62 for wild-boar but also for big red stag during the squall period on Capcir high plateaus where it is abundant.
I'm past the age to go have fun in Africa but I'm not against shooting a few big warthogs on the Northwest coast of the black continent.
At least the use of open sights gives game a greater chance...!

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Reged: 18/02/20
Loc: Western Cape, South Africa
      #383458 - 17/03/24 01:17 AM

Joel, as always a master piece! I just love the details on this rifle, and the caliber is my favourite. I love the stock design, the front sight with the removable hood, and all the small little features, that I also would ad if I ever would have the opportunity to order a rifle from you.
I do agree with you that using open sights give game a greater chance! I use most of my Mannlicher rifles with open sights, as well as a custom Mauser in 9.3x62 with express sights. It is one of my most accurate rifles and when shouldered, it just feel right! Would love to fit a Lyman 35 on it, but to get one in my side of the woods is almost impossible...

--------------------
"the real Africa is still out there... you just need to know where to find it"

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: Vintage_Canvas]
      #383461 - 17/03/24 07:54 AM

Not often mentioned when discussing the use of iron sights on a rifle is the completely different aspect to carrying the rifle that a scope 'ruins' somewhat. Many who never use anything but a scoped rifle would not have experienced how nicely balanced and controlled to hand a rifle is sans scope. When carrying a rifle through rough country or even scrub like country, the ability to wrap the thumb up over the action with fingers under the magazine plate in a solid grasp makes the rifle feel secure and lighter than it may actually be. A rifle to hand this way feels alive.

Another superb example of your skills Joel of a classic cartridge on a classic rifle.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: DORLEAC on 9.3x62 iron sighted rifle [Re: eagle27]
      #383462 - 17/03/24 10:00 AM

Ease of carrying is what makes hunting with an English Sporting rifle of the 1850 period so nice.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1359

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com