Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: October Weather for Hunt in Spain

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
SChapman
.224 member

Reged: 26/09/05
Loc: Michigan
October Weather for Hunt in Spain
      #38213 - 26/09/05 11:45 PM

My wife and I will be hunting (Beceite) Ibex and Mouflon in Spain at the end of October.

We will be hunting in Catalonia and Valencia according to our Outfitter.

Can any of you familiar with Spain comment on the weather typical of late October in these regions? We are finalizing our clothing and equipment lists, and we would appreciate any input you might have.

Thank you.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,

Scott.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: October Weather for Hunt in Spain [Re: SChapman]
      #38222 - 27/09/05 12:56 AM

SChapman

I am a frenchman, no Spaniard.
Our neighbour Spain is just South of France.
I use to hunt the moufflon and Chamois in the French Alps in the end of october every year because it's the rut period. We hunt between 4000 and 7000 fts above Sea level. Though a pull-over is mandatory until the sun is fully risen.
Most of the time we hunt wearing a T shirt as long as we are trekking. When pausing, shirt again.
As you'll be clearly South of the Alps, I can say the weather will be nice. As ever when in the mountains You must keep in the rucksack a shirt, a pull over or a fleece jacket and a light rain jacket.
IMHO count firmly on a nice weather even in the case the sun would be clouded. I cannot imagine any snow or ice at this period and at this elevation.

REMEMBER, only light garments . Walking in the mountains is tiring. Don't add useless weight. I hope your shoes are worn and light. Nothing is worst than heavy boots, sweating apart. You need a stick.
Think about removing whatever is shiny. The moufflon has an extremely sharp sighting, from 2 miles he can read the time on your watch, should You be stupid to the point of wearing a watch, a ring or other shiny devices (in France You may keep your golden teeth ).

Moufflon is a devil, a fantastic opponent.

Beceite is a really coveted and rare trophy, a living dream.

I wish You good luck.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

SChapman
.224 member

Re: October Weather for Hunt in Spain [Re: larcher]
      #38243 - 27/09/05 05:52 AM

Mssr. Larcher-

Thank you kindly for your insight. I appreciate the information. I also particularly liked the respect you have for that "devil" the Mouflon. He does sound like an exceptional adversary.

I just enjoyed a few days of hunting at Indianhead Ranch in Del Rio, Texas here in the States. It is owned by a wonderful French couple. One is originally from Paris, but the other is from Alsace, which is where I see you are from. Great folks.

Someday, Angela (my wife) will have to find an excuse to enjoy France for both hunting and wine.

My best regards,

Scott.

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #38244 - 27/09/05 06:49 AM

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hunting&Number=22229&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

If you need anything, PM me .

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

SChapman
.224 member

Re: October Weather for Hunt in Spain [Re: 470Nitro]
      #38245 - 27/09/05 07:04 AM

Thank you 470Nitro....I sent you a PM.

Scott.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #38271 - 27/09/05 04:26 PM

Schapman, You are too kind

Indianhead ranch is owned by the Delagrange family.
Marlyse Delagrange had a famous TV show about animals. She was absolutely not a Peta fan, being a huntress. Sadly now animal shows are controlled by Peta freaks.
I was not aware an Alsatian was in this outfit. I am knowing an Alsatian lady (Jung) owning the Crazy French Ranch in Colorado.

I am very pleased you linked with A PROUD HIDALGO.
I hope he will not disapprove what I told You. I insist on the facts one must have any useful but light clothes at hand and the main concern is bringing the least possible weight along.
In my case I don’t even bring drinks, I am drinking in springs or puddles. Note the best puddles are in Scottland, the water colour is whisky’s because of the peat.
The most useful devices are a long walking stick and a rangefinder.
Beware of the Moufflon sighting, they are devils on wheels.

Good luck. My best regards.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

SChapman
.224 member

Re: October Weather for Hunt in Spain [Re: larcher]
      #38288 - 28/09/05 01:43 AM

Mssr. Larcher,

You are very correct on the ownership of Indianhead. That is a wonderful story of Mme. Delagrange's television show. Her son Laurent had not shared that with me yet. It is Laurent's lovely wife, Diane that is from Alsace! We had a pleasant time talking about that region with her just last week.

And thank you again for your ideas. I am really looking forward to meeting this devil of a sheep called Moufflon. And or course the Ibex. And the food, and wine, and sights of Spain.

Senor 470NE,

Thank you for your help. I appreciate the e-mail response.

And we are looking forward to visiting your country next month.

Good Luck and Good Hunting to you both.

Scott.

470Nitro
.333 member

#38297 - 28/09/05 02:59 AM

En respuesta a:

I am very pleased you linked with A PROUD HIDALGO.
I hope he will not disapprove what I told You. I insist on the facts one must have any useful but light clothes at hand and the main concern is bringing the least possible weight along.

You're right .

SChapman,

I wish you a nice trip and a good hunting and, once more, email me if you need anything.

--------------------
-----

SChapman
.224 member

#43997 - 15/12/05 03:30 AM

Thank you to my friends who helped prior to my visit to Spain. My wife and I had an excellent time in Spain, and cannot wait to return.

After arriving in Spain and spending a few days in Barcelona, we traveled north toward the Pyrenees and spent 5 days at a wonderful property managed by Hunt Trip Spain. Angela took a good Fallow Deer at 200+ meters at last light the final evening we were there with her .260 Rem (M77 Ruger Compact)...excellent work on her part.

We traveled next to La Senia in the Beceite Mountains and hunted Beceite Ibex there. Again, a wonderful hunt. I took a nice goat on the last day.

We enjoyed a little more of Spain, and then had to return home. We are looking forward to more hunting for Ibex and Stag in the future.

I have e-mailed 470 to see if he can help post a few photos. All in all it was a great trip.

Scott.

470Nitro
.333 member

#44016 - 15/12/05 06:43 AM

Here you got your pictures mate. Very nice animals .

--------------------
-----

SChapman
.224 member

#44022 - 15/12/05 07:18 AM

Thank you for helping with the photos 470Nitro.

The first photo is of our hunting area below the Pyrenees. The lodge is in the center of the photo. Great place. It was built around a 10th century chapel. Hunt Trip Spain has done a good job of remodeling and using the orignial architecture.

The middle photo is my dear wife Angela with her deer. Again, let me congratulate her publicly for a great shot at the edge of darkness at a considerable distance. Well done!

The bottom photo is of yours truly with my first Ibex. I will be back for more!

For any one thinking about Spain as a hunting destination, once you go, you will agree with me, it is a premier destination that deserves more attention.

We really enjoyed not only our time hunting, but also our time before and after the hunt touring Catalonia as well.

Scott.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #44026 - 15/12/05 08:41 AM

What is the average distance that Ibex are shot in Spain? Is it usually across valleys and such?

SChapman
.224 member

Re: October Weather for Hunt in Spain [Re: EricD]
      #44028 - 15/12/05 08:50 AM

ErikD:

470Nitro is the qualified hunter to respond, but I can tell you mine was a uphill shot at roughly 200 meters. I think my guide "ranged it" at 211 yards. Frontal shot was all the ibex would give me.

From the stories I heard, shots can get long, but they try to keep them in the manageable distance to avoid wounded animals.

All the best,

Scott.

470Nitro
.333 member

Re: October Weather for Hunt in Spain [Re: EricD]
      #44058 - 15/12/05 06:06 PM

En respuesta a:

What is the average distance that Ibex are shot in Spain? Is it usually across valleys and such?

In the mountains you never know, but 200 can be an average distance to Shot. Anyway I'd shot one from 40 m and other from 400 m, for example :loco.

--------------------
-----

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2443

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com