Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Do you use a scope on any of your shotguns?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Do you use a scope on any of your shotguns?
      #380942 - 05/12/23 03:49 PM

Do you use a scope on any of your shotguns?

Not usual on an ordinary shotgun. I guess a scope might be attached if used for slugs a lot.

Drillings, combinations, cape guns, are a different story. Especially with smaller bores for smaller game. The scopes might be in QD mounts.

But how do you go with shooting your shotgun barrels with shot with a scope?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Do you use a scope on any of your shotguns? [Re: NitroX]
      #380966 - 06/12/23 03:59 AM

I mounted a scope on the centre rib of the "Fluid Steel" barreled SxS I cut back to 26" for shooting round balls.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Re: Do you use a scope on any of your shotguns? [Re: DarylS]
      #380981 - 06/12/23 01:32 PM

I've played a bit with a scoped shotgun. It actually seemed to improve my shooting a bit, but I've never learned the proper way of shooting a shotgun.

A friend has some significant vision loss, so we put a red dot on his shotgun. It made the shotgun usable for him.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Do you use a scope on any of your shotguns? [Re: Jim_C]
      #381003 - 07/12/23 07:28 AM

I cheek the stock, then look over the barrel(s), shooting instinctively, I guess. I might see the barrels in peripheral vision, but not consciously. Both eyes open.
I pass the 'bird' and slap the trigger when "just" 'touching/passing'.
With my flinter 20 bore, I have to pass the bird by close to a foot, before slapping the trigger in order to hit, due to the slower ignition sequence.
I find modern shotguns identical to cap-locks, for shooting flying birds, clay or feathered. This method works at all ranges, btw. It automatically gives the correct lead.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Do you use a scope on any of your shotguns? [Re: DarylS]
      #381010 - 07/12/23 06:49 PM

My main use has been my Tikka 512 SD as previously reported.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=341307&page=0&vc=1#Post341307

Tikka 512SD with 12-bore/.223 Remington barrels. Leupold 1-4x scope on top.

For a .223 and requiring fine exact shooting, head shooting rabbits, hares foxes, potentially roos, even deer, an inch off at 100 yards is not acceptable. So I like to keep the scope attached to the barrels.

The mounts can be unscrewed but aren't really quick detachable. One day I'll get someone to make levers for me to replace the round knobs.

A 1x to 1.5x scope seems OK for shotgunning. One needs to get used to it. It's more visual, and less instinctive. Keep both eyes open. I'd like a large red triangle dot option for the shotgun.

I much prefer no scope. I'd not scope the U/O shotgun barrels.

A simple red dot sight, not a scope might be better for the shotgun barrels. But a scope in the 1x to 8x ranges is better for the rifle barrels. Especially the .223. I still haven't scoped the 12-bore/7x65R barrels yet. Have not acquired a scope for it yet. I'd like to get a 1-6x and swap the 1-4x around. Or use my other existing scope.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381011 - 07/12/23 07:02 PM

What prompted my opening question was recent threads on side by side combination rifle/shotguns, capegun configuration. Scoped or unscoped. And how people cope or don't cope with using a shotgun barrel with a scope.

Traditionally with QD mounts it's assumed one takes on it off the scope depending on the barrel to be used. Might work sitting in a hochsitz, but here in Aussie, walking a field of a creek line, flushing a duck, or a rabbit bursts from the grass, no time to remove the scope. And when the fox is seen at 100 metres away, especially if it's running away, no time to lever in a scope in qd mounts. One should have time to spin up the variable scope power dial. Shooting that flushed duck or running rabbit on 1x with the scope.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #381015 - 07/12/23 10:30 PM

Have used red do for years but I've got lefty of videos of me using scopes and shooting clays with a combo or drilling. Just wind to 1.5 power and keep both eyes open.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Do you use a scope on any of your shotguns? [Re: mchughcb]
      #381016 - 07/12/23 10:46 PM

I remember seeing as a wide-eyed kid a Weaver Kwik Point sight some member of my Dad's full-bore rifle club had attached to the barrel of his Winchester Model 1400 out towards the muzzle.

Looked stupid then, still would today!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Do you use a scope on any of your shotguns? [Re: Marrakai]
      #381025 - 08/12/23 04:35 AM

On my combination gun Its scoped with 6x42 Zeiss in claw mounts. I have shot plenty of running big game with the scope attached - both moving target and the real thing, and have also shot a few flyiing things with scope still on. It fits me well, i watch the target abd bring the gun up and swing through. I don’t think about the scope - I just look through it and swing.

But if I am specifically wing shooting, scope is off and I just load the shot barrel. It does have open sights if the need arises.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #381618 - 29/12/23 05:15 PM

Quote:

What prompted my opening question was recent threads on side by side combination rifle/shotguns, capegun configuration. Scoped or unscoped. And how people cope or don't cope with using a shotgun barrel with a scope.

Traditionally with QD mounts it's assumed one takes on it off the scope depending on the barrel to be used. Might work sitting in a hochsitz, but here in Aussie, walking a field of a creek line, flushing a duck, or a rabbit bursts from the grass, no time to remove the scope. And when the fox is seen at 100 metres away, especially if it's running away, no time to lever in a scope in qd mounts. One should have time to spin up the variable scope power dial. Shooting that flushed duck or running rabbit on 1x with the scope.

Over many years of using scoped drillings in the high country, where we find blue grouse and also wild chukar a bit lower down I have become accustomed to shooting birds on the wing with the scope installed, since there is no time to remove the scope at the first rise.

It's a both eyes open and learning to also rely on the "passive" sighting eye proposition, not just the dominant sighting eye. With practice your brain can learn to be more conscious of the non-dominant eye, Ive found.

It's far easier on L or R swinging shots; the straight- aways block both eyes.

Edited by luv2safari (29/12/23 05:21 PM)

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #381621 - 29/12/23 05:30 PM

I sure enjoy seeing that Tikka 512 set. At one time I was consumed by the Valmet 412 system and had both 412 and 412S receivers/wood and every flavor of barrel sets they made. I believe you know about how well the 223 shoots under that 12ga barrel.

I got a Tikka 512 from Cape Outfitters just before Don died. Jeff Mayfield hand picked one for me in 12/9,3X74R, and I had several scope mounts already. I soon after acquired a Tikka set made by Lothar Walther in 9,3/9,3 double rifle and took the set to Masailand on a buffalo hunt. (Thank God for credit cards!)

This was the set:

Edited by luv2safari (29/12/23 05:34 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1044

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com