Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tishomingo Hogs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Tishomingo Hogs
      #380239 - 22/10/23 02:56 AM

It is deer hunting season here in Oklahoma. I have been busy on the lease getting ready.

We have been having problems with feral hogs. They get into our deer feeders and eat all the corn. They also run all the deer off.

I notice one feeder had three hogs showing up like clock work. This feeder in the past has been really good for deer. This year, nothing, just hogs.

These hogs have been showing up every morning between 7:30 and 8:30. I decided to go after them.

We have found that if we shoot a hog over the feeders the sounder tends to not show up for a couple of weeks. I had no expectations to taking all these hogs at once rather to eliminate one maybe two and let the deer get back to the feeder.

Last Friday, October 13 I went into the blind at 6am. First shooting light was 7am. Here is my view. The blind is east of the feeder and is looking west.

At about 8:15 I saw movement to the left coming from the west. My preferred target was the large sow who seemed to lead this group. And, indeed that morning she was leading the group of three. She stuck her head just past the spindly little tree seen to the left of the feeder. The thin limbs of the bush right in front of the blind did not block my rifle which was to the right of the camera. I aimed for the center of the neck between skull and shoulder. This is the close range preferred aim spot for feral hogs-DRT! shot. Dead Right There!

It was perfect.

The other two hogs disappeared, like flipping a light switch. Lights out, gone!

To the details. First the rifle I am using.

I am using an AR 15 purpose built for hunting. The lower receiver is a YHM, Yankee Hill Machine. Upper is a Rock River raised bridge for scoped rifles with Stag Arms barrel chambered for 6.8 SPC II.. Trigger is match 2 stage from Rock river Arms. Hogue stock. It is the upper gun in the picture.

Ammunition was Hornady factory 120 grain SST 6.8 SPC.

Per local hog hunters advice since I was shooting from an archery blind, I sighted this gun in for zero at 50 yards. I was also told to aim at the center of the hogs neck between shoulder and skull. This would give the DRT-dead right there effect. It did. When shot, the hog drop like a load of bricks.

Here is the point of aim, point of impact-entrance.

And the exit.

The chest girth measure measurement was 37 ½ inches which equates to an estimated 175 lbs. 30 inch equals 100 lbs, plus 10 pound per additional inch. This measurement is usually done with a cloth tape. I didn’t have mine with me so I used a field expedient method- hard rope to measure, fishing lure as length marker.

And the Glamour picture.

The down side to this. Local meat processors refuse to take these animals in due to concerns about disease. Oh well the coyotes and buzzards will get fed.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Tishomingo Hogs [Re: DoubleD]
      #380240 - 22/10/23 03:33 AM

Well done, DD. Nice setup.
120SST 2,460fps from 16" bl.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Tishomingo Hogs [Re: DarylS]
      #380246 - 22/10/23 09:20 AM

Nice one DD!
Great result from your accurate shot.
When a deer-door closes, a hog-door opens.

Ever tempted to remove back-straps, tender-loins and rumps yourself?
Pork from hogs eating at your deer-feeder should certainly be good enough for stews etc,
and safe enough after a couple weeks at -18 in the deep-freezer I would have thought.
...or is it not legal to do this in your jurisdiction?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Tishomingo Hogs [Re: Marrakai]
      #380247 - 22/10/23 10:52 AM

The barrel on my rifle is 20 inches. I wanted 24 inch but this 21 inch was the only after market drop in non military configured barrel available at the time 6.8 SPC. It is a 6.8 SPC II.

I think a lot of this "caution" about diseased hog meat, is a bit over board.

In the past I have had the meat processed. Older animals such as this one are tough. The last one we had all the butchered meat, steak chops and such reprocessed into hamburger and it was donated to the U.S. Customs Chili cook-off team for use in the Annual law enforcement chili cook-off. The Team took grand prize-winning both the judges award and the people s choice. I can tell you that the chop I had from that animal before grinding was as they say, tougher than boot leather.

Now if a sounder were to come in and a nice little weaner-notice weaner not weiner-pig presented its self, it would be barbecue time.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Tishomingo Hogs [Re: Marrakai]
      #380251 - 22/10/23 02:01 PM

Quote:

Nice one DD!
Great result from your accurate shot.
When a deer-door closes, a hog-door opens.

Ever tempted to remove back-straps, tender-loins and rumps yourself?
Pork from hogs eating at your deer-feeder should certainly be good enough for stews etc,
and safe enough after a couple weeks at -18 in the deep-freezer I would have thought.
...or is it not legal to do this in your jurisdiction?

What does freezing the pork for 14 days plus achieve? Kills parasites? What else? Work on the Top End pigs?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380252 - 22/10/23 02:09 PM

Quote:

Good work, DD.

Some porlk chops next time. Or pork casserole.

How do deer seasons work in your area.state? For how long? Any sex or age? How many deer can you take? How big is your lease? All forest or mixed woodland?

I imagine hog season on the other hand lastx all year, any number.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Tishomingo Hogs [Re: NitroX]
      #380259 - 23/10/23 12:53 AM

First, at 76 years of age with fused back and two plastic knees, I now pay to have my game processed. This is something that has only occurred in the past 4 or 5 years. If I can't pick it up with one hand...weaner pig. I no longer have the strength and ability to handle this work. I just have work smarter. If I wish to still get out an hunt I must adapt.

Now for deer I have a hoist. https://www.hmeproducts.com/truck-hitch-game-hoist-complete-kit-includes-winch-gambrel/

This fits the receiver hitch on my Side by side Kawasaki Mule. I can lift the game and field dress, then load in in the back of the Mule and drive away. Butchering, I am no longer set up or physically able to do that.

If I can find a meat processor to handle a hog, then I will bring the meat out. I will eat it, but the wife refuses. I will donate most of this meat to Hunters against Hunger and have it ground into hamburger for the needy.

Deer season opens October 1st and runs through January 15. That time period is all archery. Muzzleloader season October 29 through November 5 Rifle season is November 18 thorough December 3.

Last week end was the two day Youth Deer gun season. During Christmas there is antlerless deer gun season. All during archery season.

As a resident I can take 4 antlerless deer and two antlered

Partially because of my physical condition and partially because of persnickety eaters in my house. I only hunt for big bucks, and half of the meat I get, is donated to Hunters for Hunger. I tried to donate the meat to a person at church last year, but when they found out it was venison, they declined.

Hogs are vermin and can be taken year round. Night or day-no night hunting during rifle deer season, no limit. There have been hogs around this lease for a while. About a Year ago a commercial hog hunting operation started up a few miles south of here and the hog numbers seem to have increased in the area since then.

Our lease is 3800 acres on a 15,000 acre working cattle ranch-mixed grass and woodlands, mostly oak. I really like this place. I told the wife to spread my ashes under this tree

The lease has Deer, turkeys, armadillo, coyotes and hogs. All for shooting. It also has 27 stock ponds , all of which have been stocked year ago with Large mouth bass, sunfish and cat fish.

I am not a big fisherman, Up until I go this lease I had only ever caught 4 or 5 large mouth bass in my life.. Last year I caught 108 bass on the lease. The largest 2-1/2 lbs. So far since September 1st I have caught 53 large mouth bass including one that went 3lbs 8 ozs.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380261 - 23/10/23 01:11 AM

Douglas, thanks. It's interesting to read what other people do.

Why the aversion to venison by the church member? Don't they know how to cook it?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Tishomingo Hogs [Re: NitroX]
      #380267 - 23/10/23 06:56 AM

Those of us who eat venison do not understand peoples aversion to venison.

I believe its called the Bambi complex. Thank you Walt Disney.

I talked to young woman recently who with a straight face told me she didn't know meat came from cows. She was absolutely serious.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DoubleD
.400 member

#380268 - 23/10/23 07:42 AM

I did ask her where she thought meat came from, and she said, "the Store".

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #380269 - 23/10/23 12:42 PM

My bro and I used to sit in front of the TV, pointing air rifles at the game, pulling the trigger and saying pewrooooo, pewrooooo.
My mom complained once, and Dad said, "leave them alone, they're boys".

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Tishomingo Hogs [Re: DarylS]
      #380271 - 23/10/23 03:34 PM

Quote:

My bro and I used to sit in front of the TV, pointing air rifles at the game, pulling the trigger and saying pewrooooo, pewrooooo.
My mom complained once, and Dad said, "leave them alone, they're boys".

I'm evil. As preparation for my elephant hunt I hung calenders of elephants around the house. Every time I looked at them I forced myself to calculate a brain aiming spot. Same watched a lot of African wildlife programmes on THE TV. With or without a rifle aimed for brain shots. With moving picture or changing scenes, one must be very quick.

Must have worked, two out two elephants shot, first bullet with a brain shot. Both frontal.

I'd do it for lions, buffalo, anything. Being very familiar with the main target through video, pictures, calenders etc is good training.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380272 - 23/10/23 04:03 PM

Quote:

Those of us who eat venison do not understand peoples aversion to venison.

I believe its called the Bambi complex. Thank you Walt Disney.

I talked to young woman recently who with a straight face told me she didn't know meat came from cows. She was absolutely serious.

True, the Bambi syndrome.

People here are not as familiar with deer here. Most people have never seen one in the wild. Venison is a rare and exotic meat. The only venison I usually see in supermarkets is venison mincemeat. Some fillets but rarely. Roo meat through Metromeats is a lot more common. Mince, fillets, hamburgers, rissoles etc.

I use the minced roo or venison to make my version of mince vindaloo.

Deer in the media is regarded a pest animal to be exterminated, feral, damaging to the environment. Funny roos aren't seen in the same damaging manner. So I think the Bambi syndrome is less prevalent here in Australia. Vegetarianism, fruitcake veganism and of course meat destroying the planet through "climate change" and other agenda driven propaganda, are more issues among sheople brained idiots against meat in general.

But I know many people over cook venison and game meats. Low in fat it should not be cooked well done, and if so,cooked to keep juices intact. People burning a badly cut slab of venison on the bbq have a tough dry piece of meat. Game meats, roo, venison of course being lower in fat. Medium rare or rare, seared, maybe finished in an low or medium oven, keeps it tender and juicy.

Simply astounding if some people no longer even know the source of meat. Soon the digital "smart" phone will do all their thinking for them.

Pity that hog couldn't be made into casserole chunks or minced. But it's not like I haven't wasted the majority of feral pigs I've shot in Australia.

I've always wanted to harvest a Kangaroo Island wild pig for meat. When I hunted them, the farmer asked to have it if I shot one and didn't want it. The weather was the coldest wettest for the year and the pigscstayed bedded down when I was there. So I didn't get any. A dog to push them out if the very thick low scrub would have been useful. I could hear them moving in there, but it was like a low solid hedge with pig tunnels.

KI pigs have been wild for over 200 years. Released by whalers and sealers as castaway food sources. The KINpigs have assumed some boarlike features.

I don't know how many if any survived the huge KI bushfires a few years ago. Devastated the Western two thirds of the island. Hundreds of KMs away including the sea in between I had smoky skies from those bushfires and even a light film of ash falling down.

While officially a "pest" I hope some KI feral pigs survived.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 978

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com