Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Haenel sporter en bloc clips.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Haenel sporter en bloc clips.
      #380238 - 22/10/23 01:57 AM

Ok.....The rifle arrived yesterday afternoon late so I didn't do anymore than open it and look it over. It's keeper.

This morning I took it downstairs to go over it and the first thing I did was try the clips I bought from Gun Parts/Numrich. They don't work very well.

First off I am suspicious of my bullet. It's a 200 gr. cast bullet and I'm wondering if it's too short? Seems I read somewhere these clips were sensitive to bullet length and maybe nose shape? My bullets are 200 gr. and have about a 20-22 cal. meplat. I don't believe the bullet nose is grabbing but, it appears the nose is being pushed down before it reaches the ramp. Needless to say it's near impossible to operate the bolt in a normal manner.....and I really don't think it's the rifle.

Secondly, first time through the clip was as tight as Dick's hat band. Do they need sprung out? Loosened up? I want to remember reading "these clips work as good as the originals once adjusted.

I apologize for no pictures. This is the only site I belong to, that I peruse, that I can't post pictures from my computers. If I can, I haven't learned how.....

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Haenel sporter en bloc clips. [Re: sharps4590]
      #380241 - 22/10/23 05:30 AM

Vic, the culprit here is neither your cases nor your bullets. It’s a dimensional flaw of all the M88 Numrich repro clips. These clips are made of slightly thicker metal than the originals, but this is not relevant. The M88 en-bloc clips have a slight outward flange at the front end. Numrich overdid this flange, marked with a blue line in the photo below. Filled with cartridges, this flange makes the package 13.5 mm thick on original clips (left in the photo), but 14.6 mm on the repros. This .04 increase of thickness at the front of the clip is too much for the magazine well of the M88 action. The cartridges are clamped inside the clip and cannot rise properly. To make these repro clips useable you have to reduce the thickness at this flange. You may grind it down, but I simply insert a steel bar into the empty clip and peen the excessive flange flatter with a hammer.
Axel

sharps4590
.333 member

Re: Haenel sporter en bloc clips. [Re: kuduae]
      #380245 - 22/10/23 09:13 AM

Axel, you are a wealth of information. Thank you so much. I'll report back.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

sharps4590
.333 member

Re: Haenel sporter en bloc clips. [Re: sharps4590]
      #380265 - 23/10/23 03:06 AM

You're right, as usual. I peened the front edge then back along both "tops." I don't know how an original clip would feed but these two are like new money regardless of which way they're loaded.

Can't thank you enough, Axel.

Vic

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 741

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com