Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Let me see your Haenel Sporting rifles.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
fjrdoc
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/22
Loc: United States
Let me see your Haenel Sporting rifles.
      #375967 - 11/04/23 03:53 AM

It seems that the gun collecting bug has reared its ugly head......Again.
I find that I am becoming curious and intrigued by Haenel stalking rifles that are based on the 88 Commission rifle. I've been trying to find more info on them and I am considering buying one if I can find one for sale. The ones that I have seen pictures of are beautiful in my eyes. I really like the color case hardened receiver and magazine. The matted top rib and octagonal-to-round barrels look very classy.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen many listed for sale at a reasonable price. Thought that I would start a post to learn more info from my fellow NitroExoressers.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Let me see your Haenel Sporting rifles. [Re: fjrdoc]
      #379040 - 02/09/23 10:15 AM

Hey fjr...sorry to be so long in seeing your thread and I hope your still watching.

I have a Haenel/Rasch on the 88 in 9 X 57 and yes, it is beautiful. I stumbled into this one along with a Wilhelm Brenneke in 7 X 64 a few years ago for a ridiculous price. Unfortunately I can't post pictures evidently.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

fjrdoc
.300 member

Re: Let me see your Haenel Sporting rifles. [Re: sharps4590]
      #379053 - 03/09/23 09:08 AM

Hi sharps4590, Thanks for responding to my post. I managed to locate a Haenel sporting rifle in 8x57 J. This rifle is in wonderful condition and unmolested. I haven't had much time to work up an accurate load for it. I am baffled by one thing. The rifle shoots about 6 inches high with the factory iron sights. It is equipped with pivoting dual front sight and a three-leaf folding rear sight. I know that I was using the correct rear sight. I can't understand why the sights would be off by that much. I'm sure that the sights were regulated when it was manufactured. I'll post pictures when I have a chance. You need to use a picture hosting sight for this forum.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #379054 - 03/09/23 09:23 AM

What bullet was the rifle 'sighted' for? Maybe old ammo in 225gr.?
I found this statement when searching for 8x57J ammunition bullet weights.

"The M/88 was initially loaded with a 226 grain round nose bullet at a velocity of 2100fps. The cartridge immediately became popular with German hunters and in its commercial guise was designated either 8x57I"

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

fjrdoc
.300 member

Re: Let me see your Haenel Sporting rifles. [Re: DarylS]
      #379056 - 03/09/23 10:25 AM

I'll have to check the proof load that's marked on the receiver.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #379058 - 04/09/23 02:10 AM

you maybe see this before http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=188673&an=0&page=0#Post188673

problem is many or most M 88 hunting rifles coming without the maker but having the name of the local gunmaker who sold it. there were two real maker of this rifle C.G.Haenel and V.C. Schilling. In the time when the Suhl Konsortium was making M 88 military rifles Schilling and Haenel were the main contractors who assemble the rifles with parts coming from other smaller firms. when the Mauser 98 became the new rifle the Suhl Konsortium don't get new orders anymore so Haenel and Schilling made hunting rifles with the M 88 action and sold them. Till now there is no clear sign to distinguish a Haenel from a Schilling made rifle if you don't have the name on the gun. I had the idea that the serial numbers by schilling and haenel could be somewhere apart so you can say this must be made by Schilling and this by Haenel but had no time to proof this idea.

and yes, the quality of this rifles is outstanding.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

fjrdoc
.300 member

Re: Let me see your Haenel Sporting rifles. [Re: lancaster]
      #379059 - 04/09/23 05:25 AM

My rifle was made by Haenel and has the name on the matted rib of the barrel. I believe that it was made on or before 1912 because of how the proof load is marked on the side of the receiver. Unfortunately, the proofing info doesn't give the weight of the projectile.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #379061 - 04/09/23 06:55 AM

Quote:

I believe that it was made on or before 1912 . Unfortunately, the proofing info doesn't give the weight of the projectile.

Before WW1 here was only one bullet weight for the 8x57I, a 227 gr bullet at 2170 fps from a 27” barrel.
Quite often the old rifles shoot very high over original open sights by today’s standards. Being trained to shoot the then military rifles with their 400 meter “zeros”, many people habitually shot by “taking a fine bead”, that is nestling the front sight deep into the notch of the rear sight and placing the target on top of the bead.

sharps4590
.333 member

Re: Let me see your Haenel Sporting rifles. [Re: kuduae]
      #379062 - 04/09/23 07:07 AM

Mine is definitely a Haenel/Rasch, unless Schilling put their name on his rifle.

Both the rifles mentioned had ivory or ivory type sights, the whole front sight, that were totally unusable so I made new front sights and filed them in.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

fjrdoc
.300 member

#379076 - 04/09/23 11:22 PM

Sharps, did your rifles have the see-saw adjustable front sight? If so, please describe or show me pics of how you made your sight. I've made dovetail front sights for most of my rifles that have aperture rear sights.

sharps4590
.333 member

#379086 - 05/09/23 11:09 AM

fjr, what they originally had I don't know. The ivory or ivory type sights appeared to be hand filed and the entire sight was of that material. They were....bulky, really thick and heavy and literally unusable.

I don't have a picture host so I can't show you pictures.....and I don't think I have any of making a front sight. I made the front sight like all the others, on my little mill. They are a 75 degree dovetail and as with most old, German sporters, the dovetail is longitudinal at the muzzle in the rib. I think I make the sights .050 tall and then file them in. After I have the best load and the height of the front sight right I'll shape it. I am not a machinist or gunsmith by trade so it takes me a while but, I enjoy doing it. 44 years as an electrician/electrical contractor does not a machinist make.

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #379091 - 05/09/23 03:29 PM

Quote:

I don't have a picture host so I can't show you pictures.....

This works: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=321070&an=0&page=0#Post321070

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

sharps4590
.333 member

Re: Let me see your Haenel Sporting rifles. [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #379968 - 11/10/23 12:05 PM

I had a pretty nice 98 Mauser in 8 X 57I but, I sold it at a local auction a few months ago. While going through my ammo I discovered a lot of 8 X 57 ammo which was loaded with 200 gr. .320 cast bullets. Well, you can't have ammo and no rifle to shoot it through so while browsing through GI I stumbled on this Haenel. A check went in the mail today. The en bloc clips are available and I have two of them on the way as well.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=102363593

Edited by sharps4590 (11/10/23 12:10 PM)

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #379969 - 11/10/23 01:41 PM

Quote:

Well, you can't have ammo and no rifle to shoot it through so while browsing through GI I stumbled on this Haenel. A check went in the mail today.

What a wonderful idea!

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Let me see your Haenel Sporting rifles. [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #379975 - 12/10/23 03:01 AM

sharps, that looks to be a really nice cast bullet launching platform! I still kick myself for letting my 1908 slip away that was rechambered to 8x57.

sharps4590
.333 member

Re: Let me see your Haenel Sporting rifles. [Re: JDL]
      #379987 - 12/10/23 09:22 AM

Thank you sir!

It should be, if the bore is as nice as is advertised. I was told by a 3rd party the dealer is a good one so it should be as advertised. My 1908 in 8 X 56 is a good cast bullet shooter so this one ought to be as well

--------------------

fjrdoc
.300 member

#379990 - 12/10/23 11:10 AM

Nice looking Haenel sharps. I haven't had much time to work up an accurate load for my Haenel. I suspect I will get to work on it after this years deer season is over. Keep us posted once the rifle arrives. These early German hunting rifles are so light and nimble. They handle so nicely.

sharps4590
.333 member

#380005 - 12/10/23 10:54 PM

Thank you sir! They do, fjr, I still have a few. The 98 mentioned that I sold was like a wand. I'm hoping the loads I put up for it will give as good results in this Haenel.

I sort of regret selling it but, in my dotage my tastes are even more eclectic. I would sacrifice parts of my anatomy for a nice vierling....lol!

Keep us up to speed as your load development progresses.

--------------------

sharps4590
.333 member

#380189 - 18/10/23 10:48 PM

Received an e-mail last night saying rifle goes in the mail this morning. Soooo....maybe Saturday?

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2501

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com