Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Are Revolvers still relevant?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Are Revolvers still relevant? [Re: Bindi2]
      #379878 - 06/10/23 01:52 PM

On the other hand, I've had a love affair with 4" model 29's since 1973 when I bought my first one. On my 3rd now.
Not sure why I didn't use it on a bear, that fall we had all the trouble with them. I did use a Marlin in .44 Mag. for one.
The only handgun I used on them, was a Colt 1911 in .45 ACP.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Are Revolvers still relevant? [Re: DarylS]
      #379921 - 09/10/23 08:12 AM

As a former LEO back in the days when the semi-auto was just beginning to be accepted in law enforcement circles, I'll take a revolver every time. 15 rounds don't mean spit if you can't hit anything with them.

Unless one is highly, highly trained a DA revolver is still faster from the holster and first shot than any semi. Semi-autos have poor pointability, their grip angle is all wrong, especially the Glock, with the possible exception of the 1911 and Luger. Seen it too many times at short distances shots were feet low. A friend thought he could drill center of a 6 inch bullseye at 4 feet every time with his semi-auto. Even with me standing there coaching he never got within 2 feet of it, always low. I hadn't done any "point shooting" in 30 years and just for fun I wanted to see how bad I'd gotten. Same target, same distance with my S&W 696, first shot was 3-4 inches left and in line with the black. A near unconscious correction in a split second and the next 4 all cut near the center of the black, fast DA fire.

As Skeeter Skelton once wrote in an article, "I'm a revolver man", SA or DA, doesn't matter.

Hunting and long range shooting the revolver is still king. Just for grins and giggles, at first, my oldest son and I started playing with an out of the box Ruger Blackhawk, no tuning, in 45 Colt at 500 yards. In not many shots the grins and giggles went away and we got serious about it. It didn't take long and we were hitting a 5 gal. bucket 3 or 4 out of 6 rounds and was always close enough to make a man nervous. 300 yards and the bucket was a gimme. It should be obvious all shooting was done from a solid rest. Try that with a "regular, out of the box" semi-auto. For hunting, there's no comparison between the two, revolver all the way.

Having said all that, I have a soft spot for 1911's, P-38's and the CZ 83's and 84's but, I have no illusions as to my ability with them versus a revolver.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Edited by sharps4590 (09/10/23 08:14 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Are Revolvers still relevant? [Re: sharps4590]
      #379922 - 09/10/23 11:30 AM

Good stuff, sharps4590. Couldn't agree more, however the 1911, in my experience, did not take much practice to hit centre instinctively.
With a S&W DA, it's very easy. In the corrections course of fire, we started at 5 yards, draw, tuck the revolver tight against the hip, looking only at the centre "spot" on the B27 target and firing 6 fast shots, double action. It did not take long before all of the "squad" were able to keep them all in the 10 ring.
Rocking slightly backwards, away from the 'antagonist' brought the muzzle right up into the centre.
Fun stuff.
As to shooting tight groups, only a stock revolver is capable of shooting into an inch & 1/2 at 50yards from a rest. I was able to do that with my 1911, but only after replacing the barrel with a Wislon match-grade barrel, porting the barrel and slide, bushing testing along with changing links and some stone work on the locking lugs.
A stock M29 .44 Mag. S&W can do that, right out of the box and print 5 to 6" groups at 100 meters, as well.

--------------------
Daryl

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Are Revolvers still relevant? [Re: DarylS]
      #379941 - 10/10/23 08:20 AM

We agree about the 1911. I guess the way I wrote it is a bit confusing. The Luger works quite well also.

It's interesting that the 1911 and the Luger, both designed when the revolver was king, have grip angles conducive to point shooting. I know others designed during the same time had nearly straight grips and shot holes in the ground but, J.M. Browning and Georg Luger took got those two right.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Are Revolvers still relevant? [Re: sharps4590]
      #379942 - 10/10/23 10:57 AM

From my experience the Colt 1911 and Browning Hi Power have the right grip angle for good point shooting. the grip angle on the Glock is the only negative thing about it from my perspective.

I have carried and instructed on Revolver, (Smith M10), and semi auto's, HK USP and Glock. I found for those who put the time into practice the revolver was more accurate but not as fast with follow up shots. Now I am talking about normal humans here not your gun nut type. Also with the heavier trigger pull the follow up shots with the revolver where off center. Practice rectified this.

For defence against two legged predators I prefer the semi-auto. The main reason is nowadays you are more likely to run into more than one aggressor at the time. Downside is those who only do the very basics so as to pass a qualification shoot my blaze away under stress, as might most people who are not trained and put under pressure during training.

Just remember most of the people I am talking about do not practice and do not put much thought into using their firearms.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Are Revolvers still relevant? [Re: Rule303]
      #379967 - 11/10/23 07:51 AM

I find Jerry inspirational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvV5m6Et1SE&ab_channel=ShootingUSA

With S&W .44 Magnums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7W-5QE3jzw&ab_channel=JerryMiculek-ProShooter

.500 S&W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzyqiT1FFA&ab_channel=JerryMiculek-ProShooter

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2957

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com