Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Do you have a howdah pistol and need a holster?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Do you have a howdah pistol and need a holster? [Re: NitroX]
      #379774 - 01/10/23 01:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

""" The Howdah 20Ga Double-Barrel Flintlock Pistol saw prominence in the American frontier of the 1860s and 1870s."""""... what a joke,,, a FINTLOCK in 1860???? That would be VERY RARE!!!! After reading that statement I couldnt go on,,,,,,

Actually....

The "howdah" in the West is more or less mythical in any time period but the use of flintlocks, especially by Indians was not. Percussion in that period was in general use but some still preferred the old system which, like percussion later, died hard.

Also...and this crowds the "howdah" concept a bit....the US military was issuing big bore single shot pistols in large (for the time) numbers before the Civil War and those guns remained in use by many into the cartridge period. And then 5-Finger-Discount take-homes and surplus broomouts of Civil War percussion revolvers kept them in quantity and in use for long into the cartridge period.

Chapel's GUNS OF THE OLD WEST is quite fascinating and speaks quite a bit to this topic. Really if you think about it, it's no different than today. For example, there are many who prefer double shotguns and...heavens...even rifles for solid utilitarian reasons even still (maybe a few even on this forum!!) but why when a Benelli M2 is available?

The last sentence because a shotgun is about balance and pointability, not a lump of metal spraying lots of shots in the hope of hitting something. Also of course for some countries like this one where stupid govts don't permit semi autos.

Howdahs by their very name are not Wild West guns. A howdah is an elephants saddle. They are very British and very much came from India. I don't think that author mentioned India once? I mentioned this inthinkmin the opening post, where I said the author should read some history. Double barrelled pistols in smaller calibres, such as gentlemen's coach pistols might have existed. A second barrel in the age of single barrels make sense for very close personal defence. "Remington's" u/O pistolmin the "Maneaters of Tsavo" wasca coach double barrelled pistol. No elephants and tigers in the "West".

That book "Guns of the Wild West" sounds interesting.

Yeah to all that. That's the point. A howdah is not a Western gun obviously but keeping old types makes sense now as it did in the mid even late 1800's, especially among Indians who could trade for flint and use the same powder for priming they used for the charge itself. I've read, cannot verify that some guns had their charge holes reamed out so a slap on the barrel would toss enough powder into the pan no separate action of charging it was necessary. Plus lots of folks kept a gun around but had no particular tactical concerns (whether they should have is another story. And extras were as now kept around for sport or backup.) My great grandfather went west in the c. 1870's and my grandfather was captured by Lakotah warriors not long after the Ghost Dance.

The book is excellent.

I've wanted a howdah pistol (preferably smoothbore) for years. Maybe in the future...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Do you have a howdah pistol and need a holster? [Re: NitroX]
      #379775 - 01/10/23 01:58 PM

Quote:

I wonder if the Pedersoli replica .45/410 "Howdah" with the aweful pistol stock could be restocked with a more traditional "banana" curved pistol grip? It might depend onthebresutant length of trigger pull?

Even though .45 Long Colt is under powered for a Howdah, it'd might a nice plinking and pop up target shooting gun. In theory the .410 option could be used for shotgunning birds with a .410 Howdah.

The BP muzzle loader would be fun too.

The Ithaca they cite is a well-known casualty of the 1934 Gun Control Act here.

I think muzzle loaders are not so restricted as I think they are not "firearms" under Federal law.

Maybe one of the attorney members can verify?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4702

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com