Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The coffee tradition

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The coffee tradition
      #379681 - 27/09/23 05:30 PM

A hunting post about coffee?

Was watching a TV show about Sweden and it was mentioned coffee is a big thing there. Coffee for morning or afternoon tea.

This reminded me of hunting with Staffan/Sville. Mid morning the moose hunting crew would get together for a coffee around a fire, toasting a sausage on a forked stick, or a telescopic toasting fork, similar to an old styling radio aerial on a car. I'd love some of these to sell on Nitro Express. Not even available from Ikea here. Maybe some cake around the fire, with the coffee, sausage, maybe sandwiches.

The sausages I was told in Sweden are all pre cooked. So toasted is easy. I've asked here and hard to find precooked sausages. Maybe some smoked at home could be done.

The fire is pleasant. Sitting around it on logs, cut log seats, tucker boxes or folding chairs.

I found carrying a small tripod folding chair strapped to my day pack essential as sitting during a moose drive on the ground 8s very wet, A good seat for coffee as well.

A pleasant civilised tradition for group hunting. We often in Australia don't enjoy some of these traditions. On fox drives, lunch is just a sustenance meal. No tradition. No fire to sit around either as it's February and fire bans, Not cold either. I was annoyed with myself not starting a camp fire when in the Top End hunting first with JB/larcher and later with Roscoe/Curl.

Small coffee flasks are great for the Kafe Abend!

I'm sure Germany and Central European, Eastern European countries do similar. Indeed there seem to be elaborate drive, group hunting ceremonies in Germany. I've never experienced one, just seen photos and videos. My friend JB/Karcher from France certainly enjoys his coffee as well.

Finland was said to be the biggest coffee drinker in Europe, Sweden second. I find this unusual, as the reputation of
Italy is well known.

I was thinking about Norway. Did we do this in Norway? NO!!! EricD had a nespresso machine at home but didn't drink coffee. JB when there used up a lot of his capsules! But in the moose camp the other hunters had this really really aweful mud 5hey called coffee, Horrible! I think it was just coffee grounds continually added to the pot so it ended up two thirds mud and some liquid. Undrinkable. I determined to take my own coffee, a small plunger pot if I ever returned. Nowadays maybe a USB powered small nespresso coffee capsule maker! And a small plunger milk frother. What a metro!

So tell us about your coffee traditions, ceremonies, hunting meal traditions.

TAGS: #coffee #myjournal #jjhjournal #jjhmyjournal #futurearticle #moosehuntung #sweden

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The coffee tradition [Re: NitroX]
      #379687 - 28/09/23 03:56 AM

Taylor and I headed out down the Blackwater road to our moose hunting location in my 1979 Ramcharger. We arrived
late in the evening, about 9PM. As it was starting to rain, we unloaded the back of the Dodge and covered all the gear with a large tarp, climbed into our sleeping bags in the back of the truck and attempted to go to sleep. The rain pounded down on the tin roof all night. What a fitful sleep it was, as in very.little actual sleeping. The morning brought clear skies & a promise of sunshine.
White gas stove was set up on the tailgate, coffee pot set full of water --- no coffee could be found. We'd forgotten the coffee! After the night of pouring rain, if we'd had coffee, we could have faced the day.
Everything back into the truck and back to town we went. Hunt OVER.
That's my coffee story.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: The coffee tradition [Re: DarylS]
      #379689 - 28/09/23 06:15 AM

Now that was one BAD hunt mate!
No coffee!

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #379698 - 28/09/23 09:38 PM

Quote:

Taylor and I headed out down the Blackwater road to our moose hunting location in my 1979 Ramcharger. We arrived
late in the evening, about 9PM. As it was starting to rain, we unloaded the back of the Dodge and covered all the gear with a large tarp, climbed into our sleeping bags in the back of the truck and attempted to go to sleep. The rain pounded down on the tin roof all night. What a fitful sleep it was, as in very.little actual sleeping. The morning brought clear skies & a promise of sunshine.
White gas stove was set up on the tailgate, coffee pot set full of water --- no coffee could be found. We'd forgotten the coffee! After the night of pouring rain, if we'd had coffee, we could have faced the day.
Everything back into the truck and back to town we went. Hunt OVER.
That's my coffee story.

I'd have done the same thing!!! Life without coffee......wait, there is no life without coffee.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: The coffee tradition [Re: NitroX]
      #379715 - 29/09/23 07:41 AM

Norway is wellknown for its coffee culture.

Eric must be a rebel.

LOL.

Your lack of appreciation for "cowboy" coffee is incomprehensible! It's what I make here.

Maybe it's the Norwegian blood...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Re: The coffee tradition [Re: 9.3x57]
      #379717 - 29/09/23 09:28 AM

Camp coffee is great, as I make it with fresh coffee every time. The old ones get dumped. When I make a pot, I make a pot of coffee not one 1/2 full of depleted grounds.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #379720 - 29/09/23 10:08 AM

Quote:

Camp coffee is great, as I make it with fresh coffee every time. The old ones get dumped. When I make a pot, I make a pot of coffee not one 1/2 full of depleted grounds.

Ah, there is an art to it!

In my pot (the pot is essential) it's 10 scoops for Day One and 3 scoops on top for each subsequent day to day 4 when the pot is emptied and started afresh.

Trust me.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Re: The coffee tradition [Re: 9.3x57]
      #379735 - 30/09/23 02:04 AM

Oh, I trust you, Rod and that would likely work for a solo hunter. When there are 2 or more, a full pot of coffee is needed, not one 1/2 full of grounds.

PS I also use 10 heaping scoops per pot.

--------------------
Daryl

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #379740 - 30/09/23 11:09 AM

About 40 years ago I frequently "went bush" with a good mate who made coffee by bringing the billy to the boil, dumping in a heaped handful of grounds, and then watching it continue boiling for a few more minutes before removing from the fire.

He used to say, "If you're gunna drink coffee, you might as well drink COFFEE!!"

Pretty sure some trace of that coffee is still stuck to the roof of my mouth!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: The coffee tradition [Re: Marrakai]
      #381651 - 30/12/23 06:49 AM

I should tell you that according year 2023 statistics finnish people use grounded coffee 9 kilos per people. Itīs the biggest amount per capita in the world. In 2023 here in Finland lives 5 568 637 people.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The coffee tradition [Re: Igorrock]
      #381656 - 30/12/23 03:37 PM

Keeping you awake in the cold.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: The coffee tradition [Re: Marrakai]
      #381679 - 31/12/23 02:54 AM

Quote:

About 40 years ago I frequently "went bush" with a good mate who made coffee by bringing the billy to the boil, dumping in a heaped handful of grounds, and then watching it continue boiling for a few more minutes before removing from the fire.

He used to say, "If you're gunna drink coffee, you might as well drink COFFEE!!"

Pretty sure some trace of that coffee is still stuck to the roof of my mouth!

We call those flavour buds, Tony.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1298

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com