Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Collectors vs Custom rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Collectors vs Custom rifles
      #377581 - 26/06/23 11:41 PM

The conflict between collectors and allegedly collectable firearmsand donors of customised rifles.

It was very normal to customise Mauser actioned military rifles in the 1970s to early 2000s. I've got custom rifles books with many examples

In the 1990s the supply started to dry up.

I'm annoyed I didn't buy some back then. A K98 "Israeli" Mauser, good condition, $100 ... Should have bought several I was more interested in longer actions.

A lot of military mausers, less than $50.

I think I later bought the Colombian Mauser FN 98 .30-06 Barrelled action for $100. Just to have on hand. People on here said it wasn't worth it. Too pitted. Probably correct . When the donor rifle is good enough, people will say it's too collectable like my Dutch Steyr 1895 in 6.5x53R. I'll probably never get it customised for other reasons.

Gathering dust in some 900 rifle private collection isnt good value.

There's an easy answer. My Steyr sat on a for sale listing for two years. Buy it for your collection when it's available . Quite simple. I'd probably sell it right now for the right offer. Good offers to be made. I need the cash. Good offers show true vaue of a collectable. Low offers, it's a chopper! If it's chopped up one day into a beautiful custom rifle, I'll enjoying, well it was available twice.

I'm thinking one day, another Parker Hale 1200 regarded to a .318 WR will do fine for purpose. One day properly customised . No clunker collectable mil Mauser needed.

Regarding "collectables" buy them, buy them when available. They only become collectabe anyway when demand exceeds supply.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Collectors vs Custom rifles [Re: NitroX]
      #377606 - 27/06/23 08:06 AM

Well, I agree but then again there is a difference between endless money pit and a decent donor action for customisation.

I sold a Mauser 410-B that was in superb condition to a collector instead of butcherig for a custom project. I apply the concept of triage when I choose suitable rifles to customise. Scrap, donor or collector.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

JHeath
.224 member

Reged: 26/07/21
Loc: British Columbia and Washingto...
Re: Collectors vs Custom rifles [Re: Yochanan]
      #379504 - 21/09/23 12:28 AM

In the US there are countless sporterized Mausers and other military rifles in gun shops and online. Most of them amateur jobs from the 1950s and 60s, and available at low prices. They are affordable, guilt-free donor rifles. The drawback is the project is rarely "cost effective" if resale price is the criteria. I bought a $350 sporterized Brno Persian-contract 98, a high quality action, with an early Timney trigger and Lyman sight. Rebarreled it for around $350 I think. Lucked into a beat up old $20 stock that closely resembled an Oberndorf Type B but mediocre grain. I removed the dents and stained it dark. Discovered a checkered pre-64 Model 70 buttplate in an old house I bought. Assembled and from across the room you'd think it was a pre-WWI Oberndorf or maybe old Rigby. But then, from across the same room you'd think I was an aristocrat. It's a wide room.

The finished rifle is exactly what I wanted but financially not worth the $800 - $900 I probably have in it. But so what? My car dropped $10,000 in value when I drove it off the lot and the wine I bought and drank yesterday I now can't get a penny for.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Collectors vs Custom rifles [Re: JHeath]
      #379507 - 21/09/23 01:27 AM

Quote:

Assembled and from across the room you'd think it was a pre-WWI Oberndorf or maybe old Rigby. But then, from across the same room you'd think I was an aristocrat. It's a wide room.

The finished rifle is exactly what I wanted but financially not worth the $800 - $900 I probably have in it. But so what? My car dropped $10,000 in value when I drove it off the lot and the wine I bought and drank yesterday I now can't get a penny for.

I hope you have a monacle and a cigarette in a long holder

Funny.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #379538 - 22/09/23 06:08 AM

Quote:

Funny.

What... no pith helmet?

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

JHeath
.224 member

Re: Collectors vs Custom rifles [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #379540 - 22/09/23 07:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Funny.

What... no pith helmet?

Oh it's worse than that. I wanted one of those tiger blasting rifles like Jim Corbett but being a dumb American I chambered it for the wrong caliber, didn't know that difference between .275 Rigby and .257 Roberts.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #379543 - 22/09/23 08:46 AM

Thought Corbet used a .250 Savage and .22HP Savage?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

JHeath
.224 member

Re: Collectors vs Custom rifles [Re: DarylS]
      #379545 - 22/09/23 11:28 AM

Quote:

Thought Corbet used a .250 Savage and .22HP Savage?

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/the-rifles-of-jim-corbett

A few years ago Rigby made a replica of Corbett's .275. I think it was a limited run. It's a handsome little rifle, quaint by Dorleac's or Ralf Martini's standards but just my cup of Darjeeling.

There was a turn-of-the-century American missionary named Caldwell who hunted tigers with Savage 99s and used .303 and .22 Savage HP. Maybe that's who you're thinking of. I never warmed to 99s but I suppose if Rigby built one I'd at least look at it before moving on.

The truth is that only three types of rifles exist: tools, toys, and 98s.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379549 - 22/09/23 03:05 PM

Quote:

A few years ago Rigby made a replica of Corbett's .275. I think it was a limited run.

Rigbys replica of Corbett's rifle was a single rifle, scuff marks, dents, marks, "wear", and. A intermediate length action as well.

If they made some M98s with the model name "Corbett" that's a possibility but not the replica.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379551 - 22/09/23 03:21 PM

Quote:

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/the-rifles-of-jim-corbett

I think Diggory has it wrong yet again.

Quote:

Corbett’s main double rifle was a .450-400 by W.J. Jeffery. This chambering was the most popular of double rifle rounds at the turn of the 20th century. It was outlawed for civilian use in India in 1907 for reasons of internal security, leading to the success of the .470, which was permitted, but very similar in performance.

The .450 was banned, not the .450/400. Does Diggory understand the difference? The .450 was banned as the .450 calibre bullets were thought to be able to used by rebels in military rifles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #379561 - 23/09/23 02:04 AM

Tks John. My mistake. I knew someone did. LOL

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1786

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com