Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
WirePaladin
.224 member

Reged: 18/09/23
Loc: Michigan, United States
Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help.
      #379455 - 19/09/23 10:02 PM

Hello all. I recently acquired a Chapuis Express Rifle in 8x57 JRS caliber. Perhaps some of you double rifle enthusiasts can help me. This rifle is used, and I would guess at least 20 years old, but used very little.

1. It is locked closed. The top lever moves fine and feels like it is pushing against a spring, which is normal, but the action does not open up at all, not at all.
I don't think this is a firing pin problem, since it does not open even a little bit. To me it acts like the action locking wedge or whatever it has, is stuck into the barrel lumps. Or, maybe whatever mechanism is supposed to pull the locking wedge out of the barrel lumps has broken.
I squirted a bit of high-quality lube inside, let it soak a bit, and tried it again, no go. I also tried opening the rifle with the rifle upside down and different angles, and even hit the buttplate with the palm of my hand in case it is some kind of inertia issue, nothing worked.
Any ideas please. It seems I may have to take it to a qualified gunsmith.

2. It has pivot type scope bases. I have learned these can be rather specialized, and also expansive. Have any of you replaced these bases with more flexible bases, perhaps Picatinny or Weaver type or some other?

Thank you,
Arthur
Michigan, USA

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help. [Re: WirePaladin]
      #379464 - 20/09/23 06:55 AM

Try & take the fore end off Arthur, hopefully the barrels will detach normally from there.
If in doubt, take to a gunsmith would deals in doubles.
It may have a stuck case/live round inside so be careful.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help. [Re: 93x64mm]
      #379469 - 20/09/23 07:21 AM

I would sit in a chair, muzzle pointed in a safe direction, holding the rifle by the forend and grip. Press the top lever over with the right thumb and bump the hinge down against my knee, gently the first time, then with a little more force.
Sounds like it was closed on a 'thick' rim/long case body and forced closed, or with an extruded primer perhaps causing the binding in the firing pin hole.
If uncomfortable in doing this, you need to find a gun smith who will tackle it. I can tell you, aside from running a rod down the tubes to see if it is loaded or has fired cases in the chambers, she or he will do the same as I noted above, to start, I am sure.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help. [Re: DarylS]
      #379473 - 20/09/23 08:43 AM

What Daryl said.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Only hope that works, coz their barrel lumps are a bit "unconventional"...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help. [Re: Marrakai]
      #379474 - 20/09/23 09:06 AM

Because the gun will not even open a fraction it is more likely an issue with the locking wedge not being withdrawn by activation of the top lever. Perhaps the top lever shaft has broken, or however the locking wedge is attached to the top lever shaft has let go.
Removing the for-end will at least eliminate any issues arising from the cocking and extraction systems.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help. [Re: eagle27]
      #379475 - 20/09/23 09:15 AM

True. Did you move the top lever all the way over to the right?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

prairie_ghost
.300 member

Reged: 19/07/08
Loc: casper, wy
Re: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help. [Re: DarylS]
      #379499 - 20/09/23 08:27 PM

Drop a rod down the barrels and measure to ensure there is not a loaded round in the rifle. Then send to JJ Perodeau to sort out if it will not open as above.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help. [Re: prairie_ghost]
      #379505 - 21/09/23 12:36 AM

Quote:

Drop a rod down the barrels and measure to ensure there is not a loaded round in the rifle. Then send to JJ Perodeau to sort out if it will not open as above.

+1 to the above.

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help. [Re: prairie_ghost]
      #379506 - 21/09/23 12:50 AM

No experience of Chapuis Doubles, but plenty on double guns.

Not opening probably due to

1) a firing pin stuck in or penetrated through a primer, thus not retracting.

2) cocking dogs stuck on knuckle - gunk or rust. Remove the fore end will determine this. But if the dogs are stuck you probably cannot get the fore end off.

3) locking bolts stuck or not withdrawing. The top lever spindals are pretty strong so doubt they would break it may be that the locking bolts are stuck - again rust or gunk.

Treat gun as if loaded. Use a cleaning rod to determine if there are cartridges in the chambers.

In the case of 1) above you might get lucky with a cleaning rod and cleaning jag provided the cartridges have fired.

Whether you are competent or comfortable using turnscrews that absolutely fit the slots only you can tell. Removing the stock and the base plate will soon allow you to determine the issue. Judicious application of easing fluids will hopefully ungunk things. And further removal of parts will allow the gun to be opened.

What I would not do is try to force it open. That will break things and that very quickly becomes expensive.

If in doubt get the services of somebody who really understands double guns to have a look.

Nojden
.275 member

Reged: 07/01/15
Loc: Sweden
Re: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help. [Re: HeymSR20]
      #382236 - 30/01/24 08:53 AM

Hope you've got the barrels opened by now?

Regarding your second question, about pivot mounts, the German brand Recknagel usually two piece bases, rings and mounts for chapuis. They're rather expensive but tell me what's not expensive when it comes to double rifles. It might perhaps be possible to fit in weaver style bases on your rifle as well, and use ordinary QD rings as leupold qrw, but you'll probably end up with a price that matches the original Recknagel pivot mount as the job probably needs a skilled gunsmith. It will however certainly look uglier and not be as firm as a pivot mount. I'd say, go for a pivot mount, it's the best choice and will last as long as the rifle. If you don't have the money now, use the iron sight until you can afford a good mount.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Chapuis Express Rifle, request for help. [Re: Nojden]
      #382254 - 31/01/24 09:47 AM

Yes would be good if OP could give an update as is always useful to how problems are resolved.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1193

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com