Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!!
      #379126 - 07/09/23 08:00 AM

https://www.purdey.com/products/purdey-b..._source=ometria

I actually find this particular rifle quite revolting, but others may feel differently.
I am sure John will love it.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jvw
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!! [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #379127 - 07/09/23 09:35 AM

Matt, I agree.

There's a lot of wrong with that rifle, besides the chambering. Just look at the grip, checkering on the grip, and the cheekpiece...

Just because it's called a pancake cheekpiece doesn't mean it has to look like a pancake.

I pity the guy who saw "Purdey" and felt good thereafter about getting fleeced. I've seen better looking factory-made bolt-guns.

It's a good thing that taste differs from one person to the next.

Bindi2
.275 member

Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: WA, Aust
Re: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!! [Re: jvw]
      #379128 - 07/09/23 09:45 AM

To me it looks like a functional take to work rifle.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!! [Re: Bindi2]
      #379132 - 07/09/23 02:34 PM

anyone says creedmore?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!! [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #379133 - 07/09/23 03:36 PM

Quote:

I am sure John will love it.

I looked at it? Is it a Weatherby Monte Carlo? No. Does it have their features. Not 4eally. What is wrong with it? Quite aweful overall.

A 6.5 Creedmoor would suit a Monte Carlo styled rifle.

Why a Creedmoor in a Purdey? Skewrif! A 6.5x55 yes, absolutely. Far better cartridge too, true, tested, classic. One of the originals.

A Creedmoor would be better suited in a Minute Carlo. Not because it's from the 1960s or 70s, just tasteless. Or a plastic stock, stainless steel, huge thumbhole. Perhaps skeletinised forend. Add a great muzzle break, and a perforated recoil pad with white line spacer. Perfect.

Relooked at it. Its not as bad as my first look and impression.

Is the butt stock angled slightly up as it goes back?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (07/09/23 03:41 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

Re: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!! [Re: NitroX]
      #379170 - 08/09/23 04:01 AM

with so many question and thoughts the creedmore is maybe not the right thing for you

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!! [Re: lancaster]
      #379172 - 08/09/23 06:23 AM

For want of a better explaination......NO thank you!

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#379180 - 08/09/23 11:00 AM

I was shit stirring as I know how much you love the 6.5 CR cartridge. LOL

Personally I think the stock is one of the most hideous I have seen in a long time. It actually looks like the product of someone making a stock at home for the first time and proudly showing their wife.

Plus no open sights on a rifle of that cost!!! Sure you don't use them for long range shooting but not everything is shot at long range and open sights just make a classic rifle look complete, even if you never use them. Sort of like having a Taylor made suit but with no collar. The collar doesn't really do anything but it certainly makes it look nicer.

Then they cover all the furniture with engraving ??? So is it a supposed to be a classic gun or a long range gun ? It certainly is doing a poor job of any of it in my opinion.

Yes the butt slopes backwards, from memory we saw that on the weird 416 Rigby they showed a while ago.

Purdey have never been famous for bolt action rifles and you can see why. Even last century they were on of the last big names to make bolt-action rifles and that was possibly only because they felt they had to. At least they didn't try and make any strange propitiatory cartridges for them.

Whoever is designing their current stocks obviously hasn't studied classic bolt-action stocks form the likes of H&H, Rigby, Jefferies or Westley Richards. Maybe they should do the same as Heym did who also had no idea and hired a talented stock maker to design it for them (In the case of Heym it was Ralf Martini for the Heym Express Rifle).

Matt.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #379183 - 08/09/23 11:56 AM

The stock slope is actually genius. Sauer uses it too and I made such a mod on a couple of my own rifles, years ago actually. Takes all the kick away from the face, not that the Creedmoor needs that treatment, TBH.

We are 6.5x55 aficionados, here, but I see nothing wrong with the Creedmoor. I don't own one and won't in all likelihood as I'm done buying from that end of the cartridge stable. Solid hunting round for most all of our game animals & varmints.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Re: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!! [Re: 9.3x57]
      #379185 - 08/09/23 02:07 PM

imho, a rifle without open sights looks like a woman without breasts

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379189 - 08/09/23 03:26 PM

Quote:

I was shit stirring as I know how much you love the 6.5 CR cartridge. LOL

I've got no problem with the performance of the 6.5 CM.

But as a "new revolutionary" cartridge it is like taking an old flat can of Coca-Cola, printing a hideous plastic home made label, sticking it on the Coke can, then proclaiming how wonderful your new Cola drink is. Wow! So bubbly! So cola-ish! Best refreshing drink ever!!!!

The Swedish 1890s cartridge "Is It!".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#379191 - 08/09/23 04:22 PM

I would much prefer the 6.5 MS

Matt.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379193 - 08/09/23 06:48 PM

The 6.5x54 M-S and 6.5x53R in Steyr and M-S rifles usually make fine rifles. But the often heavier for calibre bullets at 160 grs and round nose shape often limit the cartridge, especially at longer ranges. And also if in some rifles good feeding from the magazines require it.

The 6.5x55 on the other hand works wonderfully with 140 gr spitzers. Also 120 gr or heavier bullets. At velocities allowing longer ranges.

I find these super expensive 6.5 Creedmoor "sniper" rifles funny. $6000, $8000 for a very ugly plastic and aluminium precision rifle. But alleged to have wonderful accuracy.

My M38 1896 military actioned 6.5x55, even when in its cut back wooden military stock, using "military"/target ball ammo, approx 140 grs shot tiny one hole groups. It's now has a cheap black plastic sporting stock. And shoots pretty much the same. One day I need to get the military two stage trigger replaced as it is way too heavy. Imah0gine the groups with a finecset trigger?

Oops cost me $100 ... maybe $180 ... plus the cheap plastic stock.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!! [Re: lancaster]
      #379196 - 08/09/23 11:36 PM

Quote:

Fortunately I have some w/ sights, but as many as I have that don't, I still agree 100% with you.

I guess my harem has a lot of flat chested women!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #379198 - 09/09/23 12:54 AM

PLEASE don't be Colin's
PLEASE don't be Colin's

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

9.3x57
.450 member

#379200 - 09/09/23 01:14 AM

Quote:

The 6.5x54 M-S and 6.5x53R in Steyr and M-S rifles usually make fine rifles. But the often heavier for calibre bullets at 160 grs and round nose shape often limit the cartridge, especially at longer ranges. And also if in some rifles good feeding from the magazines require it.

The 6.5x55 on the other hand works wonderfully with 140 gr spitzers. Also 120 gr or heavier bullets. At velocities allowing longer ranges.

I find these super expensive 6.5 Creedmoor "sniper" rifles funny. $6000, $8000 for a very ugly plastic and aluminium precision rifle. But alleged to have wonderful accuracy.

My M38 1896 military actioned 6.5x55, even when in its cut back wooden military stock, using "military"/target ball ammo, approx 140 grs shot tiny one hole groups. It's now has a cheap black plastic sporting stock. And shoots pretty much the same. One day I need to get the military two stage trigger replaced as it is way too heavy. Imah0gine the groups with a finecset trigger?

Oops cost me $100 ... maybe $180 ... plus the cheap plastic stock.

John: We are aficionados of the 6.5x55.

I might be wrong but I think around here the supposed belief in the mythical and mystical miracle of the Hyper-Long Range slaying power of the 6.5 Creedmoor has subsided somewhat.

It is by all counts a fantastic target round, deer slayer and OK elk killer at reasonable distances, but sadly we went thru (I hope it's over) a bizarre period of Creedmoor worship I've never seen associated with any other round.

I've a theory about it, that is to say that preceding this attribution all the rage was heavy high velocity magnums, the Westerners and WSM's and a plethora of others that mated really impressive velocities with also impressive recoil. Over time I think folks (privately or publicly) came to realize the long range potential of many of these rounds in the hands of the average guy was diminished by the ability to hold the things steady while touching off a round intended to hit a small mark on an animal. You can't make use of superior long range performance when your eyes are jammed shut in anticipation of vicious kick or ear-splitting muzzle blast, or both.

Enter the 6.5 Creedmoor and praise from the long range target shooting fraternity and the conversion of many was guaranteed.

Anyway, I keep my shots to under 300 and have never indulged in super long range shooting of game. I own a 1000 meter range and that's partly why. Field reports of lost game ("I missed"...did you actually?) have always reinforced my policy.

Just my long-winded $.02...

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #379202 - 09/09/23 02:23 AM

For me, the cheek-piece is too long, as-is the grip. Other than that, I don't mind it
as I'm looking at it on my phone
Too pricey of course and I already have 2 6.5 x 55's and a .260 Rem.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #379220 - 09/09/23 06:36 AM

Quote:

Never a truer statement quoted Lancaster!

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!! [Re: 93x64mm]
      #379235 - 10/09/23 03:06 AM

Really sorry to criticize a myth in this way but, alas, everything is poorly designed in this rifle bearing such a prestigious name.
There are rules when it comes to stock design and it is not showing pride to think that I prefer my own creations....

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: A Purdey Bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore, especially for John!! [Re: DORLEAC]
      #379248 - 10/09/23 03:42 PM

If huvius is referring to me “Colin’s” it is not mine. Not to my liking.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2494

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com