Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "When the chips are down - 13 years on"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
"When the chips are down - 13 years on"
      #378542 - 10/08/23 05:02 PM

Excellent article.

When the chips are down... 13 years on
By Richard Sowry
9 Augusta 2023

Thirteen, and then recently three years ago, I wrote an article on a ‘working’ dangerous-game rifle and the differences that certain aspects of its design made. In each case, it was based on my experience at the time. More than thirteen years have passed, and while most of my thoughts remain the same, some have changed because of field experience. What follows is a summary of what has changed for me, and, most importantly, why it did.

In 28 years of working as a field guide and game ranger, including many encounters with dangerous game, I have been fortunate to have met and worked with many experienced people in the field, and have gleaned all I could from them.

In 1994, I bought the first ‘stopping’ rifle I ever owned, a Brno ZKK-602 in .375 H&H. I used this rifle during the onset of my guiding career, and although I never used it on dangerous game, I trained for and passed my FGASA Level 3 SKS Dangerous Animals Exam in 1997 with it. This exam is based on several simulated situations that one as a guide might encounter. It puts you and the rifle through your paces, and fast, accurate shooting at short range is of the essence.

My Brno .375 came standard with most of the basic requirements - a fairly well-fitting stock, iron sights, and a strong Mauser-type action. To get the rifle right for me, Fritz Röhr, the Kruger Park instrument maker and gunsmith, customised the sights, shortened the barrel, and smoothed the action. I used this rifle daily for about four years, and then, needing something heavier, had a .458 Lott built on a standard-length M98 action. It was a light rifle, weighing in at about 8 lbs with similar sights to the .375 and a short 22” barrel. This rifle served me well - it was extremely reliable, and I never experienced a feeding problem.

Continued:
https://www.gunsonsafari.com/when-the-chips-are-down

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (10/08/23 10:32 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: "When the chips are down - 13 years on" [Re: NitroX]
      #378543 - 10/08/23 09:29 PM

Great article John!!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: "When the chips are down - 13 years on" [Re: 93x64mm]
      #378544 - 10/08/23 11:32 PM

I'd be a bit annoyed if I bought a new Heym 88 and had to make so many changes.

But I'll say I've visited the Heym premises in Germany twice. One of the visits I got fitted for a custom stock. And went through what changes, additions, modifications I wanted to the Heym 88B, I think it was. I suppose I might be fussy. Thirteen or more changes, from sights, stock shape, I don't remember them all. And they cost extra often. I had to not go through with the purchase due to farm income issues. Weather and seasons can cause problems, longer term market issues as well.

Later the Heym model 89 was released, one model with English stock styling. One change I had asked for.

The author went for an aweful beavertail forend. NO! I thought NO! Later he had the whole stock revamped, splinter forend, slimmer pistol grip, flatter checkering, different recoil pad.

I hope he got a really good PH discount from Heym with all the aftermarket changes. I'm not knocking Heym, an excellent choice for a new double rifle. Having a good look and feel, holding and shooting a gun is a really good idea for a 20 to 30,000 plus dollar purchase. I've no idea of the current pricing. Working out how you want it in the first place is a good idea.

Funny all the modifications when we are rightfully loathe to modify and spoil our hundred year old working antique firearms. If I can't use my open sights in my Jeffery .450, I'll probably go the route of removing the existing express sight, keeping it for originality, putting a new express sight grooved for a good dot sight. The 117 year old DR could be returned to original.

The issue of all the old guys using stopping rifles and double rifles, their eyes no longer coping with open iron expresssughts, comes up. In this article. Seen it I think twice this fortnight on NE forums, members needing to vamp up the sights dueto lesser eyesight.

I can still mostly cope with express sights. I do have diabetes, but my eyesight has improved from maybe six years ago. Rarely use glasses for reading now, compared to mandatory a few years ago. However astigmatism is an issue for me with dot sights. Mentioned many times by me! Hopefully will find the right one,not a circle,a pointed arrow, and multi moa in size. Point for accuracy. "32" moa for very quick acquisition for fast close range shooting. 2 moa is hopeless. A 1x plus variable scope, illuminated is a good choice as well.

I like how this author makes modifications, filing down the rear leaf, filing the front bead etc. I'd be scared to ffff up my rifle doing this.

He goes through a lot of rifles. If one adds up all the years I reckon he is one hundred! Joking and exaggerating. He must have had some together at the same time.

.375 H&H Mag CZ ZKK 602
.458 Lott CZ
.416 Rigby
450 NE Army & Navy
Then .450 NE Heym 88

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (12/08/23 01:05 AM)

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: "When the chips are down - 13 years on" [Re: NitroX]
      #378565 - 12/08/23 01:00 AM

Good article, thanks for sharing.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: "When the chips are down - 13 years on" [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #378600 - 12/08/23 11:10 AM

I found that article to be good reading. The author was results driven, ie practical.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1047

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com