Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Australia's defence department sued for $1.5 million

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Australia's defence department sued for $1.5 million
      #378569 - 12/08/23 04:54 AM

how stupid can a adult man be? if coming to crocodile country I would not come closer than 5 meter to any waterhole it don't matter who told me its safe from crocs and they go swimming there.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...ile-attack.html

"Australia's defence department sued for $1.5 million after two soldiers were mauled in far north Queensland crocodile attack

Defence department sued for $1.5 million compensation
Incident occurred in 2021 with two army members injured by croc
Comcare found Defence breached safety regulations

By Hannah Wilcox For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 08:01 BST, 11 August 2023 | Updated: 08:01 BST, 11 August 2023

Australia's Department of Defence is being sued in a whopping $1.5million compensation claim by two soldiers who were injured in a crocodile attack.

A private and a corporal suffered serious shoulder and neck wounds, with one sustaining injuries to his hands and arms when a 2.5metre crocodile attacked 'almost immediately' whilst they were swimming in Queensland's Lockhart River.

The pair were a part of a crew onboard an army landing mechanised craft travelling between Darwin and Townsville. On August 6, 2021, the craft moored overnight at Portland Road and the men were granted permission to go fishing, before diverting plans and taking an unauthorised dip 200m away from the vessel.An investigation by regulator Comcare found the saltwater crocodile 'dragged one of the soldiers underwater and mauled him,' while his colleague 'fought off the animal', allowing the men to escape to the nearby inflatable Zodiac boat, the Courier Mail reported.

The pair were treated at the scene for minor wounds and transported to Cairns Hospital.

The Department of Defence has now been charged with breaching federal work health and safety laws.

Comcare alleged it failed to adequately train the soldiers, provide a 'safe system of work', and failed to implement safety policies including: 'prohibiting workers from entering crocodile inhabited waters unless there was an operational or safety reason to do so'.
It is also accused of failing to conduct a risk assessment and provide a 'detailed safety briefing about the risk of crocodile attack when entering the water'.

A Defence spokeswoman said legal proceedings had commenced in a statement on Thursday, confirming the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions had 'filed one charge against the Commonwealth Department of Defence in relation to the 2021 incident'.

The matter is set to be heard at Brisbane Magistrates Court on September 15. "

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Australia's defence department sued for $1.5 million [Re: lancaster]
      #378570 - 12/08/23 06:40 AM

Almost Darwin award winners!
Where we used to swim as kids in the 60's & 70's we won't go now.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Australia's defence department sued for $1.5 million [Re: 93x64mm]
      #378598 - 12/08/23 09:42 AM

FMD, on two accounts. 1 how brain dead must you be to go paddling let alone swimming in croc waters and any place North of Townsville is considered croc country. 2. Safe Work Environment-I know this has many applications- but what will Comcare do if a shooting match starts???? Claim the Defence force did not provide a safe working environment in a war????

If I was the CO of those two I would have charged them with Self Inflicted Wounding.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Australia's defence department sued for $1.5 million [Re: Rule303]
      #378622 - 13/08/23 04:13 AM

How dumb can these two guys be?

Swimming in an obvious croc river?

Also whoever gave them permission.

Sure sh*t can happen. Sometimes you have to wade across a river. Wade through the paperbacks in shallow water. walk through high reeds in wetlands.

First trip, on the Victoria River, waded out several times to unsnag a lure. Decided it wasn't worth it. We thought we were out of saltie range. Upriver of the Buchanan Hwy ford. I decided it was unwise. Buffalo hunting walked to knee to thigh high water. Had a rifle. Without a rifle, helped carry out stuff for another hunter. Walked in shallow Paperbark water. In waist high grass. Not wise. A handgun would be useful. Camped near rivers 30 m out in swags. Some of this I think now wasn't smart. Stood guard for Matt G once while he washed out a buff or banteng cape in the sea on the Cobourg Peninsula's lovely seas.

Some stuff has to be done.

As for Comcare they say it wasn't "operational", presumably higher risk standard. Compare shouldn't be in charge of army imo.

Lots of tourists swim in these rivers and pools, which I wouldn't.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (13/08/23 03:13 PM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Australia's defence department sued for $1.5 million [Re: NitroX]
      #378626 - 13/08/23 01:30 PM

Commencing legal proceedings is NOT winning, and having one charge filed against the Defence Dept is NOT finding them guilty!

These fools may want their day in court, but the outcome might not be what they are hoping for !

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Australia's defence department sued for $1.5 million [Re: Marrakai]
      #378628 - 13/08/23 04:13 PM

think they can be lucky enough to be alive

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Australia's defence department sued for $1.5 million [Re: Marrakai]
      #378636 - 13/08/23 07:31 PM

Quote:

Commencing legal proceedings is NOT winning, and having one charge filed against the Defence Dept is NOT finding them guilty!

These fools may want their day in court, but the outcome might not be what they are hoping for !

Very true.

Comcare used to be a Commonwealth Govt owned and operated organization. Or glorious Rodent, John Howard privatised it and it has cost the Govt depts far more than it used to and they have made some great fuck ups that should never if happened. Take fighting for these two idiots is one of them.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 966

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com