Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Do you tweed or not?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Do you tweed or not?
      #378529 - 09/08/23 11:47 PM

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/the-new-skipton-tweed-launches-for-grouse-season/

August 8, 2023

The New 'Skipton' Tweed Launches for Grouse Season
The concept of beginner’s luck is one too often observable to dismiss as a mere fancy. The beginner has in his favour the benefit of inexperience and is thus unencumbered by the curse of second-guessing himself.
By Diggory Hadoke

As usual, I shall be equipped with a pair of hammer guns and clad in tweed, which remains my favoured shooting cloth, despite the advance of modern fabrics and more casual attire.

Tweed not only looks perfect on a grouse moor, it reacts to the changing weather of moorland perfectly, to boot. The day can morph from misty to blowy, to still and sunny, from squally to full-on showers in minutes. A tweed suit of jacket, breeks and waistcoat adapts in seconds, breathing when coolness is required, closing out the rain when wetted and drying quickly as soon as the rain passes, while remaining warm.

Lose the jacket and shoot in shirtsleeves and waistcoat if conditions demand. Early season shooting may call for a tweed gilet rather than a full jacket. Teamed with a woolen sweater or fleece, this has proven a popular and practical combination over the years, maximizing maneuverability while keeping out the weather.

It just so happens that Westley Richards has introduced a new tweed to the shooting suit line-up, just in time for the grouse season. To complement the Rannoch pattern, with its purple heather highlights checked over a lichen grey-green background, the new Skipton tweed contrasts its moss-green base with a bold yellow over-check.

The close-weave, medium-heavyweight cloth is ideal for country sports, being snag-resistant, hard wearing and weather beating, as well as beautifully cut and totally smart.

The gilet is cut to a practical length, providing effortless access to the generous cartridge pockets, while the front buttons, up high on the chest to allow for closing out the weather or loosening it when the temperature rises. Side tabs button looser or tighter, to better fit the waistline and adjust for more, or fewer, layers underneath.

The breeks ride quite high on the waist, with belt loops to ensure minimum slippage, while holding them nicely in place, even with full pockets.

Read full article:
https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/the-new-skipton-tweed-launches-for-grouse-season/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Do you tweed or not? [Re: NitroX]
      #378540 - 10/08/23 12:32 PM

Beautiful clothing, photography and landscape and Dig writes very well.

I’d like a pair of the full length tweed trousers with suitable shoes, shirt, sweater and accessories. Great for a winter visit to London or just about anywhere.

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Do you tweed or not? [Re: mckinney]
      #380158 - 18/10/23 05:04 AM

Ahhhh.....no. But, I do rather like it.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Bindi2
.275 member

Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: WA, Aust
Re: Do you tweed or not? [Re: sharps4590]
      #380167 - 18/10/23 10:33 AM

Tweed is the original Cammo.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Do you tweed or not? [Re: Bindi2]
      #380169 - 18/10/23 12:05 PM

Quote:

Tweed is the original Cammo.

Maybe but not with a white jumper underneath a sleeveless vest

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Do you tweed or not? [Re: eagle27]
      #380170 - 18/10/23 12:17 PM

I would as well like a tweed, but in my clan's hunting tartan.

Although the mourning tartan would be more suitable for hunting, being black and white/grey.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Do you tweed or not? [Re: DarylS]
      #380186 - 18/10/23 09:43 PM

I have been wearing my tweed vest most days or nights. Useful. Warming up now. Soon to be stored over summer.

I've been a little hobbit for the last year.

I need a new light quitted cotton and leather vest or two for summer to replace the Beretta vest I boiled and ruined.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380339 - 25/10/23 11:11 PM

How is Tweed and Loden cloth different?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#380344 - 26/10/23 03:53 AM

Loden is made from one hundred percent natural wool. This is processed in up to 40 elaborate steps. The wool is spun into yarn, which is then woven into a woolen fabric. Fulling refers to the "kneading" of the wet fabric until it felts.

Tweed is made of tightly woven dyed wool. It comes in a variety of weights, weaves, and colours. This means there is no 'typical' tweed: the material ranges from plain and lightweight to colourful and heavy, covering everything in-between.

Loden - thicker and felted?

--------------------
Daryl

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Do you tweed or not? [Re: DarylS]
      #380356 - 26/10/23 01:23 PM

Back in the 70's and 80's my German friends coming out to NZ hunting quickly discarded their Loden non-waterproof hunting clothes for our natural wool made Swandri branded bush shirts and "swannies" this latter being a long or short sleeve nightshirt type garment that came down over shorts if wearing them and was quite waterproof. Was popular with our forestry guys too where you could hunt or work all day in the rain, feel a little damp in real heavy rain but staying warm and relatively dry.

My friends took swannies back to Germany and wore them there in deference to their Loden clothing. They only wore Loden when on formal hunts as the rough NZ swannie didn't quite look the part when wearing collar, tie, lederhosen and fancy hat. Shorts and swannies were definitely not in fashion on these occasions. I well imagine the same would apply in England too where the swannie wouldn't meet stiff upper lip approval.

Old photo of one of my German friends and I in our swannies after carrying a good red deer out of the bush, mine hooked up a bit at the front. Bloody hard work carrying an animal that weight on a pole I can tell you.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Do you tweed or not? [Re: eagle27]
      #380360 - 26/10/23 04:24 PM

Done that with a moose - they swing back and forth. (only 1/2 at a time). Much younger then - LOL.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1046

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com