Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Not another Greener Empire...!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Not another Greener Empire...!
      #378422 - 06/08/23 04:27 PM

Kicked a goal the other day when a casual log-in to one of the Aussie on-line firearm sites revealed a fairly rare variant of an otherwise common shotgun: an Empire-grade W.W.Greener 12-bore with a factory pistol-grip stock!

The vast majority of Empire Greeners are stocked with a "bag grip" or semi-pistol grip, apparently favored by the Prince of Wales and sometimes so-called, but not particularly favored by me!

Empires seem to breed in the back of my gunsafe, and despite selling the 'Fat Lady' I still have four of the long-bar Greeners, both E10 (pre-WWI) and E17 (post-war) grades, but even so I was on the phone immediately to attempt acquisition of the pistol-grip example.

Success!

These are two of the seller's photos, as I don't have the PTA yet, but was able to view the gun on Thursday when it arrived at my dealer. Can't believe how nice it is given the 72 years since its 1951 build.

Graham Greener states in his book that the E10 and E17 Empire guns were "inexpensive" grade, whereas those made later without such markings are "medium grade". Regardless, I am hanging out for the paperwork so I can bring this marvelous shotgun home!

If ever there was a perfect donor shotgun for a double rifle or bore-gun build, this is it!

But its far too nice to butcher! Maybe a 2-barrel set?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Not another Greener Empire...! [Re: Marrakai]
      #378430 - 06/08/23 05:47 PM

Quote:

If ever there was a perfect donor shotgun for a double rifle or bore-gun build, this is it!

But its far too nice to butcher! Maybe a 2-barrel set?

Congratulations! Looks good.

We've a disease. I was only thinking this weeknagain of whether some gunmaker, skilled gunsmith could convert an Greener Empire to .577. And my plan from fifteen years ago to obtain a second, one to chop into the double rifle. A .577 Greener Empire with a second set of 12-bore barrels. Wunderbar!

Instead of a "Fat lady", maybe a "long tall buxom lady", a "double barrelled lady"!

I've been using my Greener Empire on duck swamp shoots, fox drives, farm shoots, as it is "well used", where my more fancy sidelock might suffer.

Where do you use yours?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Not another Greener Empire...! [Re: NitroX]
      #378505 - 08/08/23 10:51 AM

Quote:

Where do you use yours?

The most-used example in my custody is an E17 that had an accident in the hands of a previous owner, and had the barrels lopped to 28 inches, resulting in absolute cylinder-bore tubes.
It was offered at auction in Melbourne, and reasoning that no Victorian would want an eight-pound quail gun, I tossed up an insultingly low bid and won the Greener!
It is perfect for shooting non-toxic shells at the local goose swamps, throwing a surprisingly even pattern of No.2 steel to 35 yds or so.
Never seem to have any trouble getting my limit if the birds are flighting well.

Just discovered that one of my other Empire Greeners is also a 1951 build, serial numbered only 77 apart from the new acquisition!
Apparently 17,268 Empire guns were made between 1910 and 1965, so there's plenty of them out there.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Not another Greener Empire...! [Re: Marrakai]
      #378512 - 09/08/23 01:31 AM

I wonder if Alex Beer could be coaxed out of the cheese factory to do a .577 conversion or two?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Not another Greener Empire...! [Re: NitroX]
      #378517 - 09/08/23 06:20 AM

Well done Marrakai!
Nothing wrong with another Greener in your gun safe, this one might just turn out to be another not so fat lady with a very fat lady for geese as well!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1173

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com