Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 9,3 mm – A love affair

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
9,3 mm – A love affair
      #378436 - 06/08/23 06:17 PM

9,3 mm – A love affair - Article by: Enrico Andreoli "dotchicco"

My love affair with the 9,3 mm started years ago. I was looking for a double rifle, that had to be good for both driven hunt and stalking, and my choice was the old venerable 9,3x74R.

I immediately started handloading this fine caliber with N202 powder, obtaining good accuracy and outstanding terminal effects on big game. Season after season i learned how effective was the old German doctrine: heavy soft point bullets at mild velocity equals complete penetration, massive wound and game on the ground. And this at its best in woods.

The Next step was a nice Stutzen rifle chambered in 9,3x62. With its short barrel practically duplicates the 9,3x74 performance, with a remarkable preference for light bullets. I usually hunt with this rifle using the 232 grains Norma Oryx. Roe deer, wild boar, fallow deer, all have fallen by the lightweight Oryx.

Now is evident to every experienced hunter that both 9,3x62 and 9,3x74R are more than enough for anything walking on the old continent and north America. And they are adequate for most African big game.

During the golden age they both have been used on the big five with success by farmers, hunters and guides, and more. Today, with better bullets better powders, you can squeeze more velocity, energy and terminal performance from these old beloved workhorses.

So why the hell a European hunter that has never hunted outside Italy should ever buy a heavy, expensive, vintage and beautiful rifle chambered for the big bad son of Wilhelm Brenneke? The answer is: Because it exists!

Jokes aside, the 9,3x64 cartridge can match .375 H&H’s performance if handloaded properly, with the fine benefit that .366 bullets always have better sectional density and ballistic coefficient than .375 of similar weight.

You can find dozens of different kinds of bullets, from 180 up to 325 grains of weight. All these advantages in a normal length action, in a cartridge that is just one millimeter longer than 30-06, with a roomy tough brass that is perfect for the modern slow burning powders.

Continued on link: https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en-gb/n...m-a-love-affair

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: 9,3 mm – A love affair [Re: NitroX]
      #378442 - 06/08/23 10:07 PM

Very good article - thanks John!
Shame the 9.3x64mm cartridge is not promoted more, very efficient & way before its time with better projectiles (even if they're supposedly no fossils)!

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: 9,3 mm – A love affair [Re: 93x64mm]
      #378447 - 07/08/23 12:11 AM

John,

Very nice article. I thought that it was interesting that the red stag will find the deepest part of the woods and then fight and actually kill many dogs - I always assumed they didn't fight but simply ran away and either were lost or found dead.

I was shooting my drilling with a 9.3x74 rifle barrel yesterday and that is a very nice cartridge.

--------------------
RB

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1069

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com