Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Crow eaters!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Crow eaters!
      #377852 - 08/07/23 02:16 AM

Königsberg (currently Kaliningrad) 1930s

Subsistence crow hunting on the Curonian Spit.

They had a tradition of catching migrating crows for the pot. It was a job for the youngsters, and they used a humane and fast method of dispatching the snared birds - by crushing the rear part of the bird skulls with their teeth. They called these guys "Krajebieter" - crow biters.

It was a bit more complicated than buying a packet of pre-marinated buffalo wings.... and they didn't even have mint-flavored chewing gum to dampen the taste of crow...

An honest way to put food on the table. I am sure these guys knew, that the food on the plate used to be a living animal.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (24/07/23 02:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Crow eaters! [Re: NitroX]
      #377858 - 09/07/23 01:27 AM

John,

Thank you for another very interesting post. Here are some images of "Krajebieter" - crow biters:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Krajebieter&am...w%3D768%26r%3D9

--------------------
RB

85lc
.375 member

Re: Crow eaters! [Re: 85lc]
      #377859 - 09/07/23 01:32 AM

A little more from https://www.vffow.org/content/bevoelkeru...raehenbeisser_/

The Krajebiders (Crowbiters)
You are here: VFFOW - We support genealogists worldwide » Country and people » From ancient times » Animal world » The Krajebieter (crow-biter)

Image source: "Unser schön Samland", Easter 1973 edition, p. 10

How crows as “spit pigeons” became a delicacy in old Königsberg

From stories told by my grandmother (Emma Nebel, w. Kloss, née Lepa from Heinrichswalde, 1886-1965) when I was a child in the 1950s, I know what "Krajebieter" (crow biters) were. Even today, when I see a swarm of crows circling around its sleeping tree or the unmistakably monotonous, shrill squawking of these animals, I think back to one of their reports from their childhood and youth, that of the Krajebietern on the Spit.

My grandmother knew quite a few of these mostly young boys and saw them at work. It was fishermen who had no work in those hard times around the turn of the century, especially on stormy autumn days and in winter. In search of a living, some of them remembered an old tradition that was not uncommon on the Spit as well as in the lowlands: catching, killing, preparing and selling crows.

How this actually happened was described particularly clearly by Werner Nadolski in a short essay: "The Curonian Spit like a curved saber blade", in: Our beautiful Samland, volume III 1980 p. 16):

"Tethered, tame crows and laid out fish waste within the laid out nets attracted the crow trains. The net, well camouflaged in the sand, was operated from a brushwood hut using a rip cord and then struck. 50 to 70 crows were caught on good flying days. The killing took place simply by the fisherman biting the crow's head, which was dented. It wasn't very appetizing, but it was a quick death of the bird. 'Krajebieter' were therefore called these fishermen."

Now, for many of us these days, the idea of ​​eating a crow makes us feel a little uneasy. And just the thought of killing a captive crow with a hearty bite on the neck fills us with disgust. But life back then in that part of East Prussia was hard, and there were always great famines when the harvest in one of the already short summers was too scarce. A deliciously prepared crow was a welcome addition to the sparse kitchen. And on a larger scale, catching crows even offered some fishermen a good sideline.

My grandma told me that crows from the Spit and the lowlands - carefully plucked, gutted, smoked and cured - were transported to Königsberg in wooden barrels and were valued there as a popular delicacy. It was, my grandmother assured me, probably to dampen my growing trepidation at this kind of food, exclusively "Karekles", i.e. younger, tender-fleshed crows, which found their way into the kitchen of the high society in Königsberg. It may be that one or the other tough adult bird was eaten by the poor fishermen themselves. The Samländische Heimatbrief (Issue III 1980 p. 16) reports:

"A considerable income for the fishermen was the sale of the plucked crow as a 'spit pigeon' on the Königsberg market. They were happy to buy it there, even the Langanke delicatessen on Steindamm had it delivered.” Don't be arrogant. B. a finely seasoned pigeon broth as well as quail, pheasant and other poultry even among top chefs as a popular ingredient to enrich a course. And seen in the light: A chicken from the grill probably doesn't taste that much different than a tender crow from the Spit. Max Rosenheyn (“Travel sketches from East and West Prussia”, Danzig 1858 published by W. Kasemann, p. 179 f.) also reported on crows as a quite common and even upscale dish many years earlier:

"The poverty that prevails on this spit is shown by the fact that the fishing villages deliver a number of crows to their priest as a kalend in the kitchen".

I took a small paragraph from an article from the Easter 1973 edition of the Samländisches Heimatbrief "Unser schön Samland" (p. 10), which deals more closely with the Krajebieters:

"One of the most famous Krajebieter around 1900 was the 'Vogelfalk', he later drowned. An innkeeper I know in Königsberg / Pr . (Hufen) said that he often served roasted pigeons. When invited to his place, I also ate one with pleasure ". Later he reported to me that it was a crow. I can imagine that many a visitor still licks their palate when they think of the roasted pigeons on their hooves. What was important, however, was that the Perzel (Premium gland) was cut away. Young crows in particular, which had just fledged, tasted the best. We boys also caught crows at home in Großheidkrug and brought them home to cook. My mother then cooked them and seasoned them with cream. Eaten but only we boys have it.Our parents said to themselves: "What de Bua doesn't know, he doesn't frett." However, the crows that we caught were killed with knives, because we didn't know the trick like the "Krajebieter".

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#377872 - 09/07/23 04:34 PM

South Australians nick name is "Crow eaters".

My guess is life was tough and hungry in early years of settlement, and that joke was people had to eat crows.

Reading the above, perhaps it wasn't a joke. German-Silesian and Prussian settlers made up a substantial proportion of early settlement. Maybe they did eat the crows. Crows are big and annoying plentiful. Myself I'd prefer a brace of nice lorikeets, or a slow cooked galah.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #377879 - 09/07/23 08:46 PM

Old bush recipe was to boil with a similar sized stone - when the stone got soft, throw away the bird!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Crow eaters! [Re: 93x64mm]
      #378062 - 24/07/23 02:18 AM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

85lc
.375 member

#378066 - 24/07/23 02:46 AM

Looking atnthat picture, I wonder why these boys didn't just grab the crow by the head and with a quick swing, break its neck they way some people killed chickens.

I cannot imagine bitting a bird's head would be very pleasurable - might want some mouth wash afterwards or at least a good swig of vodka.- well that may be the reason - an excuse to drink vodka (not that Russians and other east Europeans needed an excuse to get drunk).

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#378073 - 24/07/23 08:06 PM

Prussians are not Russians.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1058

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com