Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14
      #377952 - 15/07/23 05:51 AM

I received the following notice about a rifle match that I thought some of you located on the US east coast might like tp attend.

Sporting Rifle & Rook Match

Myself and Tom Rowe would like to bring attention to a specific part of arms making history that seems to be missing in today’s shooting world - Sporting Rifles of the 19th Century; Platinum Age of Gunmaking. This event is very much about the rifles themselves, plus the camaraderie that goes along with great rifles.

The event will take place at the Oak Ridge Sportsman Association (ORSA) in Oak Ridge, TN. 1st match will be on Friday afternoon 1pm, October 13, 2023 and resume with the 2nd match on Saturday morning 9am. We’ll have a catered dinner on the firing line (weather permitting) on Friday at 5pm.
Sporting rifles of the 19th Century are arms designated for Sporting (hunting) use. These arms may originate from any country and are typically single shot & half stock in nature. The uniqueness of a particular arm itself, may put it into this unique Sporting category. So, don’t hesitate to attend as there is much to be shared and knowledge gained. Rifles shall use lead cast bullets and appropriate powder in which the arm was designed.

Note: There are currently many matches for .22lr, Double Rifles, Military, Schuetzen and Target rifles – such as my Creedmoor 150 match. Tom & I would like to focus on Rook & Sporting Rifles for this match.

These Sporting rifles would have barrel sights a flat butt plate and no supporting apparatus for the shooter. The shooter is expected to shoot the rifle without the support of any artificial mechanism or part of the body – supported in the shoulder with one hand on the grip and the other grasping the forend.

We’ll be shooting paper at 25, 50 & 100 yards - 5 shots at each target/distance within a specified time.

Cost of the event will be $35. ($10 to ORSA + $25 caterer).

Send check or confirmation to:

Rick Weber
902 Thurmer Circle
Lenoir City, TN 37772
ricksweber@gmail.com

--------------------
RB

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14 [Re: 85lc]
      #377955 - 15/07/23 07:11 AM

Hope it turns out a great event mate!
We have a similar event here for our Big Game Rifle competitions - 'Rook & Rabbit'.

ROOK and RABBIT RIFLE
a. Muzzleloaders and cartridges introduced before 1905
b. Muzzle energy not to exceed 400 ft lbs. Muzzleloaders to use a max.
powder charge equal to caliber e.g. .45 cal = 45gns max.
c. Plain base lead bullets only – round lead ball for muzzleloaders only
d. Cartridge rifles to have been made before 1940.
e. Muzzleloaders are to be of pre 20th Century styling.
f. No bolt actions or semi-automatics
g. No telescopic sights
h. No target rifles
i. To include 25/20 and 32/20 using plain base lead load
j. Excluding .22 Rimfire.
k. One target per distance
FIRING SEQUENCE
Rook and Rabbit Rifle (20 shots)
50metres/yards - 5 shots off hand (5 minutes)
- 5 shots sitting/kneeling (5 minutes)
25 metres/yards - 5 shots off hand (5 minutes)
- 5 x 1 shot in 3 seconds per shot off hand.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #377958 - 15/07/23 10:17 AM

Not sure about Line J saying "Excluding 22 Rimfire"

Plenty of Rook rifles made originally in 22LR, I have one myself. There are a number of guys in the club that have Rook rifles originally chambered in 22 including a very nice Jeffery and a H&H. One of the guys has a magnificent H&H top lever Rook rifle in 22 Hornet and it is the original Cambering.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #377962 - 16/07/23 02:20 AM

I think the decision to exclude .22 rimfire is that part of the challenge is to do your own cartridge and load development.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #377964 - 16/07/23 07:03 AM

Quote:

Not sure about Line J saying "Excluding 22 Rimfire"

Plenty of Rook rifles made originally in 22LR, I have one myself. There are a number of guys in the club that have Rook rifles originally chambered in 22 including a very nice Jeffery and a H&H. One of the guys has a magnificent H&H top lever Rook rifle in 22 Hornet and it is the original Cambering.

Matt.

I'm afraid so Matt, the latest BGR rules (2016) still exclude the humble .22LR which I personally think is a bit harsh if the rifle was originally made in that calibre.
Its a shame really as its really more an eyes thing with open sights as we get older!

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #377966 - 16/07/23 09:34 AM

I had always assumed it was to prevent the intrusion of the more subtle forms of .22 target rifles that might otherwise be difficult to exclude under clause h. While the vast majority of competitors happily comply with the spirit of the event, those who need to "win at all costs" may be tempted to push the envelope.

The all-original side-lever hammer rook by W.P.Jones in my custody is sadly excluded, but shoots the 29gr bullet of CCI's .22 CB Long much better than any of the 40gr .22 Long Rifle target ammo I have tried.

Good luck to everyone in Qakridge.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14 [Re: Marrakai]
      #377967 - 16/07/23 09:53 AM

Yeah I just read the rules and it definitely says no 22 Rimfire!!!!

I think Marrakai's reasoning is correct, however I believe the club running the event has the ability to not include the score of a shooter using a rifle that is "Not in the spirit of the event". I will check to see if this correct.

In which case the rules may need looking at as there are plenty of 22 Rimfire rook rifles made at the turn of the century or slightly before. We allow them at our monthly shoots.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #377977 - 17/07/23 02:56 AM

So my Grandfather's actual 1920s rabbit hunting rifle in .22RF would be excluded as it's both a bolt action and a .22 RF.

Another silly BGRC rule.

They've probably excluded both imo because the old clunker room rifles,single shots etc would be swamped by good .22RF bolt actions.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

85lc
.375 member

Re: Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14 [Re: NitroX]
      #377978 - 17/07/23 05:15 AM

Guys,

I asked about shooting an original rook rifle chambered in 22LR. The host said that they would consider that request and would let me know.

I expect that they will either not allow 22RF or have a separate category for those rifles. I will be fine with that decision either way.

They correctly pointed out that there are a number of matches for 22RF. The match intent is to get shooters to break out the much negelected 295s, 360#5, 380s, 250s, etc.

I would think that one of the concerns is that a well built 22LR would trounce the old rook cartridges and the hosts want to have an event in which the old rook cartridges are very competitive. (somewhat like excliuding men pretending to be women from girls' sports).

For that reason, they have also excluded schuetzens & scope mounted rifles.

I may bring a 295 rook if I can get it to shoot decent groups or perhaps my Stevens 44 1/2 in 32 H&R with lead bullets.

--------------------
RB

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14 [Re: 85lc]
      #378157 - 29/07/23 10:52 PM

understand the rules, otherwise you could start also with a modern target rifle and outperform all of them

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

85lc
.375 member

Re: Sporting & Rook rifle match in Oakridge, TN on Oct 13 & 14 [Re: lancaster]
      #380191 - 19/10/23 02:54 AM

Guys,

Chris and I attended this match and had a great time. It was amazing to see and watch people shoot with all the very neat rifles.

Chris brought his miniature takedown Alexander Henry in 360 BPE as well as his Westley Richards Sherwood and his Watson Brothers double rifle.

Tom Rowe brought a large number of high quality rifles including a miniature Farquhatrson (I have only read about those), several Hollands, two takedown Alexander Henry (one minature and the other full size) plus numerous other fine rifles.

Rick Weaver, who hosted the event, brought several fine rifles includingh his beautiful SS rifle that he made and was shown several years ago on the cover of the Black Powder Cartridge News.

I shot ok the first day and made up for that on the econd day by my not so great shooting. At 50 yards, I shot a nice group which unfortunately was centered on the 8 ring at 2 o'clock and at 100 yards, another group at the bottom of the target - forgot to adjust my sight.

Overall, the match was great fun for me. Hopefully Rick will host another match in March 2024.

--------------------
RB

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1578

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com