Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sporting colour for clothes

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Sporting colour for clothes
      #377719 - 02/07/23 08:59 PM

Not sure if i have posted this, had a few drinks so there is a possibility.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/outfitting-colours-for-safari/

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Sporting colour for clothes [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #377723 - 02/07/23 09:49 PM

I prefer lighter colours, they don't absorb heat as good as dark clothing which gets hot!
Nor anything bright!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Sporting colour for clothes [Re: 93x64mm]
      #377736 - 03/07/23 01:33 AM

I have to read the article. But British gunmaker wardrobes sell a lot of way to light coloured safari clothes. Those lightish almost white "East African" safari clothes stick out among dark bark tree trunks and green forests. Glow like a light bulb.

Olive drab, or medium to dark green or a light to medium brown of tan is better.

A lot of non camo hunting clothes is really badly coloured. I like non camo hunting clothes. Wear it everyday. Tan moleskin trousers. Green polarfleece in winter. Tan or green cotton safari shirts in summer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sporting colour for clothes [Re: NitroX]
      #377737 - 03/07/23 01:34 AM

Sticks out like dog's balls...

More dog's balls .....

Compare the black guys and their dark green overLls, to the dog's balls WR coloured light shirts ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (03/07/23 01:39 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#377738 - 03/07/23 01:43 AM

Good for the studio, not the African bush ...

Aah no ...

I'll have to read it now ...

I don't mind these colours as work clothes though ...

These shirts are better.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (03/07/23 01:47 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #377772 - 04/07/23 12:53 AM

I agree that to us, white sticks out like a sore thumb, but what do the animals see?
We wear Blaze Orange while hunting rifle season as a rule here and the animals don't seem to notice.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Sporting colour for clothes [Re: Huvius]
      #378016 - 20/07/23 12:48 PM

Off topic, but I do like the vehicles - both the current Toyotas and the vintage Land Rovers. I wish the Toyotas were available in the US, especially in diesel.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Sporting colour for clothes [Re: mckinney]
      #378019 - 20/07/23 02:29 PM

Deer don't see colour so I assume many/most hoofed animals don't see colour. What they do see very well is movement so it is more the shading of your clothes compared to the background that determines how well you are camoflaged. Colours also change with light e.g. a not too bright red will look brown in the early morning and late evening sun and makes target ID very important if in areas with other shooters.

Some of the safari clothes hunters get into are more for their own vanity rather than comfort and those baggy pocketed safari jackets that were in vogue in earlier times and still sometimes seen today are plain stupid looking.

As for me I just need light shorts and tee shirts in warm weather with a good belt for ammo pouch and skinning knife.
My mate and I did good up in the Northern Territory while dressed quite stylishly I thought 👍

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sporting colour for clothes [Re: eagle27]
      #378020 - 20/07/23 05:36 PM

Quote:

Some of the safari clothes hunters get into are more for their own vanity rather than comfort and those baggy pocketed safari jackets that were in vogue in earlier times and still sometimes seen today are plain stupid looking.

As for me I just need light shorts and tee shirts in warm weather with a good belt for ammo pouch and skinning knife.
My mate and I did good up in the Northern Territory while dressed quite stylishly I thought 👍

Like usual I disagree pretty much 100% with your comments.

As previously said the stark light colouring chosen by some of these Brit safari clothes makers is silly. Probably similar wearing red.

The classic safari jacket is a very useful hunting garment. Out of place for wear in the shearing shed tshirt and shorts crowd, not for meat pie fine dining, though I certainly would and do. Not vanity except those needing to spend a ransom price for one. It's not vain to want to dress with style and class, as well as utility.

Thankfully there's all sorts. Some love their black plastic elcrappo Tikka T3s as well, These sorts wouldn't be seen dead wearing good tweeds or classy cotton safari clothes. The Westley Richards market is most certainly not for everyone, even the majority.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sporting colour for clothes [Re: mckinney]
      #378021 - 20/07/23 05:39 PM

Quote:

Off topic, but I do like the vehicles - both the current Toyotas and the vintage Land Rovers. I wish the Toyotas were available in the US, especially in diesel.

Yes. It's amazing no American has ever organised imports of these excellent model Landcruisers. Perhaps these models are only available in right hand drive?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #378039 - 22/07/23 11:44 AM

I think the problem is US federal emissions law. Toyota probably doesn’t want to incur the development costs to offer these vehicles in the US as their other SUVs and pickup trucks sell very well here. I see many Tacoma’s, Tundras’s, 4Runners etc. I don’t know whether there is any option for modifying a new Toyota diesel safari vehicle to meet US emissions, even privately. You can however bring in 25 year old vehicles under an exemption. There are several boutique operators who buy these vehicles in Japan for import to the US (all RHD of course).

I’d love a 79 series Toyota pickup truck, 4.5 liter diesel, manual transmission, lots of purpose built lights, canvas, 14 ply tires and 180 liter dual fuel tanks. That would be the sweetest ride imaginable and perfect for the Big Bend country with its narrow rocky roads. I shredded a 10 ply tire on my pickup truck on a trip there to look at a property (which I was unable to find).

Enjoy these vehicles in Australia!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Habsburg and Schneiders chic outdoor wear [Re: mckinney]
      #378390 - 05/08/23 11:14 PM

If you've got a mortgage to buy a set of outdoor clothes, here's your last possible chance!

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/what-once-was-is-no-more-habsburg-schneiders/

Going balls up! Climate change, Ukraine, or some such reason.

July 25, 2023

What Once Was Is No More – Habsburg & Schneiders
In ‘The Sun Also Rises’, Ernest Hemingway’s characters Bill and Mike are discussing business: “How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked. “Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually and then suddenly.”
By Westley Richards & Co.

So it was with the unheralded demise of two of our favourite European brand partners Habsburg and Schneiders. The news landed with a distinct bump and took us all by surprise.

So it was with the unheralded demise of two of our favourite European brand partners Habsburg and Schneiders. The news landed with a distinct bump and took us all by surprise.

Whatever the causes of their troubles, the war in Ukraine being cited as chief amongst them, they have proven terminal for the Austrian luxury fashion house behind both brands.

Habsburg was founded in 1992, and has in recent times, re-imagined traditional European formalwear and outdoor styles for the modern high-society trendsetter.

Habsburg very much focused on premium materials such as cashmere, suede and fur, always cut and stitched with the utmost attention to detail to create unique, assuredly European, garments of distinction, with an emphasis on outdoor clothing.

As Habsburg’s English partner, Westley Richards is, today, one of a very select number of locations with Habsburg garments available to buy, for the last time.

Co-owned brand Schneiders also presents a decidedly continental flavour of luxurious outdoor clothing, from the exquisite goatskin ‘Manfred’ jacket to the light, elegant, effortlessly cool, ‘Katja’, linen safari suit for women.

On the grapevine there is a rescue plan for Habsburg, with the talk of a much smaller range arriving late next year, but certainly no offer is in place for Schneiders. Therefore the pieces in stock at Westley Richards may never again be available to buy.

Continued on the link

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (05/08/23 11:20 PM)

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #378397 - 06/08/23 03:05 AM

John,

I agree. It is too bad that the Land Cruisers available in other parts of the world are not available in the US.

Unfortunately, it is very costly to get a vehicle registered. There also needs to be a sufficient demand to defray the costs.

Toyota decided not to bring the 300 series Land Cruiser to the US because teh 200 series didn't sell well (200 series with 20K to 30k miles are selling at $20 to $30k over MSRP)

Toyota is now starting to import a smaller version (Prado) Land Cruiser. While these may be very capable off road, they look somewhat more refined than a pure outdoor vehicle.

I have a FJ60 and a FJ62 which are the last real utlterian Land Cruisers imported into the US. These have great visibility and room for 5 people plus ample luggage space for large cooler, gun boxes, and luggage. There is more room in the li=uggage space than in a Prado.

The later versions had leather seats and were influenced by the demands or wants of urban buyers to use as a white collar business vehicle also suitable for picking up kids from school.

Itwould be nice to see either a new model 45 or 70 series but double that the projected sales would justify the cost of new vehicle registration.

However, if a vehicle is 25 years or older, they can be imported. To be acceptable to most people, it would need to have the steering wheel on the left side.

--------------------
RB

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Habsburg and Schneiders chic outdoor wear [Re: NitroX]
      #378406 - 06/08/23 08:18 AM

I have read that deer see in shades of grey, same for most animals except birds. Also that they see some of the Infared spectrum so any brighteners in washing powder makes clothing glow like neon signs to most animals. How true I do not know but have better success at stalking in close with clothes, plain and camo, not washed with brighteners.

The primary functions of Camouflage clothing is to break up the human form and to blend in with the surrounding bush. So some of the straw coloured clothing should work in dry savannah grass lands. I know the Australian Army Poly uniform shirts work well in these situations.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1976

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com