Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge
      #377330 - 16/06/23 10:36 PM

It's conventional double rifle wisdom one must shoot the left barrel first on a side by side double rifle for regulation to work.

I agree this is how they are made to regulate. But some double rifles seem fine with either barrel first.

Test yours out.

Shoot the normal sequence, 1,2. Then repeat.

Then reverse the sequence, 2,1 and 2,1.

Note, record, photograph, report back.

As many DRs as possible.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge [Re: NitroX]
      #377350 - 17/06/23 06:36 AM

My Merkel 140AE 450-400 fires (from memory) the right barrel with front trigger & left barrel by the rear trigger.
I had my good friend whose doing the testing for me check the sears early on with my AR2213SC reloads, no difference in grouping or doubling - grouping was more horizontal than circular.
Best load as it turns out in my rifle is 66gn Reloader 15 & foam wad to take up airspace using 400gn Woodleigh softs, Federal 215 primers & Hornady brass.
Velocity just over 2000fps, Chronographed Hornady Factory loads approx 1940fps.

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge [Re: 93x64mm]
      #377352 - 17/06/23 11:15 AM

I've got a Merkel manual (somewhere) for the 140A and it states to fire right barrel (front trigger) first.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #377368 - 17/06/23 11:28 PM

Quote:

It's conventional double rifle wisdom one must shoot the left barrel first on a side by side double rifle for regulation to work.

I agree this is how they are made to regulate. But some double rifles seem fine with either barrel first.

Test yours out.

Shoot the normal sequence, 1,2. Then repeat.

Then reverse the sequence, 2,1 and 2,1.

Note, record, photograph, report back.

As many DRs as possible.

Never heard of the regulating technique Left then Right? But then I never thought about it.
I would be curious to know what the regulators from Rigby, H&H, and WR are doing.

I do know that some fellas go with Left barrel/rear trigger first to avoid accidental firing of both barrels if they use the front trigger for the first shot. Poor trigger technique/control from years of them target shooting with small calibre seems to me……

I’ve never had that issue as I grew up using a double barrel side x side shotgun with two triggers, almost always right trigger/barrel first.
Never have had a double discharge with rifle or shotgun…….ever.

That’s my 2¢ and worth exactly that.

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge [Re: 3DogMike]
      #377378 - 18/06/23 09:07 AM

What Mike said plus 1 .

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge [Re: crshelton]
      #377380 - 18/06/23 02:22 PM

Double SxS rifles were a natural progression from double SxS shotguns or smooth bores which were almost without exception, always front trigger right barrel first, rear trigger left barrel second. SxS shotguns with fixed chokes are most always setup with more open choke right barrel, tighter choke left barrel.

Of course now with invector type chokes and trigger selectors the shooter can choose the sequence of choke and trigger/barrel he wishes to use.

Never heard of the left barrel/rear trigger being the normal use of a SxS shotgun or rifle, either chokes for the former or regulation for the latter are setup for right barrel front trigger first.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge [Re: eagle27]
      #377383 - 18/06/23 05:44 PM

Quote:

Never heard of the left barrel/rear trigger being the normal use of a SxS shotgun or rifle, either chokes for the former or regulation for the latter are setup for right barrel front trigger first.

Then you need to hear more. I certainly have. Listen.

Added: I've seen a DR for sale where the left barrel bore was reported as more worn. And it seemed to have been better setup with the sights for longer range or better shooting. Edited again. It may have even had specialnsights for the left barrel. I don't remember exactly.

The old soft and solid, one in each barrel. Usually the soft first. But no reason the solid could not be a first choice. If ones rifle is capable.

Twin calibre DRs. Of course they are designed to shoot either barrel first. I've used a Frankonia branded DR in .22 mag and 5.6x50R. Choose whichever cartridge and barrel first, for the situation. It could be a 5.6 calibre and a 7 mm calibre easily.

And shotguns are commonly used which ever barrel first.

My Tikka/Valmet when it had a single trigger, it had a trigger selector. I wonder why if not only to decide to shoot either barrel first.

I often shoot sporting clays a different barrel first.

Combination shotgun and rifle guns are certainly fired which ever barrel first. Regulation is far less important for a shotgun barrel firing shot. But must one shoot the rifle or the shotgun barrel first? Of course not. What is I shoot my shotgun barrel a dozen times. Does that affect my rifle barrel's point of impact or group accuracy size?

Quote:

I do know that some fellas go with Left barrel/rear trigger first to avoid accidental firing of both barrels if they use the front trigger for the first shot. Poor trigger technique/control from years of them target shooting with small calibre seems to me……

I’ve never had that issue as I grew up using a double barrel side x side shotgun with two triggers, almost always right trigger/barrel first.
Never have had a double discharge with rifle or shotgun…….ever.

Lots of BS artists on the internet. Every animal is shot perfectly, never wounded, never escapes. Double rifles are always used well ...

I've had a couple of PHs say clients double their DRs a lot. Few will willingly admit it.

I've always had double triggers on my double barrels, modified the Tikka to twin triggers. I've had a couple of second slapped triggers with the shotguns over the years. Big bore doubles have far more recoil than a shotgun, no comparison for any experienced big bore dr shooter.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/06/23 10:50 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#377384 - 18/06/23 05:50 PM

Gentlemen, this isn't a discussion thread to tell everyone what you've heard, read, ask DR makers what they think.

Its a challenge to actually shoot your rifles and prove it. Or not.

Its a challenge to learn something either way directly, instead of repeating what's been written on the 'net.

Test out the theory. If we had say 20 DRs tested the results might be variable and interesting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#377387 - 18/06/23 10:02 PM

Btw I'm pretty sure I've tried shooting on paper my Jeffery .450 left barrel then right and thought the results acceptable. I didn't record the results other than on paper.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

transvaal
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/13
Loc: South Carolina
      #377406 - 20/06/23 08:09 AM

I regulate the barrels of the double rifles I build at 100 yards and at 50 yards. I first regulate the shots to just touch or maybe be 1/2" apart at 100 yards and then I check the shots at 50 yards to see the difference of what the 100 yard shot pattern. In general the 50 yard shots will pattern about 1 inch apart center to center. I also regulate the barrels for the shots to be nearly exactly the in the same horizontal plane.

I do not regulate them to shoot the right barrel or left barrel first. I regulate them to shoot perfect shots whichever barrel you shoot first; and during regulation I will shoot just about as many by shooting the left barrel first as I do shooting the right barrel first.

It takes a great deal of time and ammunition to regulate barrels to shoot with accuracy that I set as my goal and one rifle it took 300 rounds (I was developing a new cartridge), so I believe few people will/do likely regulate to this accuracy.

I also use the Holland & Holland style muzzle bridge to retain the barrels in place ---not the method of driving a wedge and soldering it in place--but making bridge the exact distance apart measured in thousands of an inch after using the temporary "solder in place" wedge to get the correct distance apart. I measure the distance of the barrels at the muzzle when I have reached my goal of accuracy at 100 yards and I make a Holland & Holland bridge on my milling machine for that distance; and sometimes I will have to make 2-3 of these bridges because only .001" to .002" distance apart makes significant differences at 100 yards. For those of you who do not understand the Holland & Holland double rifle bridge system view the video "A Look Inside Holland & Holland" and watch Steve Cranston regulate a double rifle. With the Holland & Holland muzzle bridge you never never have to be concerned with barrel movement in even the most severe and rough shooting conditions.

Double rifles can be found that have decades of use and the right barrel is worn out while the left barrel is still good. In my opinion shooters should make certain they shoot the shots from the barrels right and left--left and right in order to maximize barrel life.

I do not recall Graeme Wright discussing right/left of left/right barrel shooting.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge [Re: transvaal]
      #377408 - 20/06/23 09:41 AM

Very well said Stephen and congrats on building and regulating rifles to such a high standard.
Robert

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #377409 - 20/06/23 10:44 AM

Stephen, Thanks for posting your experience.

As an aside, I also note that in my ("half vast") experience most if not all vintage nitro doubles that I have owned or examined have clearly more wear/cordite burn in the right barrel. That would indicate majority of "first and maybe only shot" was right barrel….No?

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#377415 - 20/06/23 04:02 PM

Quote:

I regulate the barrels of the double rifles I build at 100 yards and at 50 yards. I first regulate the shots to just touch or maybe be 1/2" apart at 100 yards and then I check the shots at 50 yards to see the difference of what the 100 yard shot pattern. In general the 50 yard shots will pattern about 1 inch apart center to center. I also regulate the barrels for the shots to be nearly exactly the in the same horizontal plane.

I do not regulate them to shoot the right barrel or left barrel first. I regulate them to shoot perfect shots whichever barrel you shoot first; and during regulation I will shoot just about as many by shooting the left barrel first as I do shooting the right barrel first.

It takes a great deal of time and ammunition to regulate barrels to shoot with accuracy that I set as my goal and one rifle it took 300 rounds (I was developing a new cartridge), so I believe few people will/do likely regulate to this accuracy.

I also use the Holland & Holland style muzzle bridge to retain the barrels in place. ..... Snipped

Double rifles can be found that have decades of use and the right barrel is worn out while the left barrel is still good. In my opinion shooters should make certain they shoot the shots from the barrels right and left--left and right in order to maximize barrel life.

I do not recall Graeme Wright discussing right/left of left/right barrel shooting.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Thank you for your experienced comments. And also on the Holand & Holland technique. You've confirmed a number of things for me, or at least that some Gunmakers/regulators do certain things, aiming at certain results. Thanks.

Now we just need a handfull of DRs tested to see if they do shoot to regulation either R/L or L/R, or both.

What about Under and Overs? Which barrel first, is it the lower barrel, then the upper as with a shotgun?

My Tikka/Valmet shoots the top barrel first, for the reasons when a combination barrel is fitted, the front trigger is designed to shoot the top shotgun barrel first.

Also in my opinion as the top barrel is angled less to the sighting plane, it should be more "accurate", or closer to the plane so better for the first shot.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (20/06/23 04:08 PM)

transvaal
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/13
Loc: South Carolina
      #377468 - 22/06/23 11:55 AM

Quote:

I also use the Holland & Holland style muzzle bridge to retain the barrels in place ---not the method of driving a wedge and soldering it in place--but making bridge the exact distance apart measured in thousands of an inch after using the temporary "solder in place" wedge to get the correct distance apart. I measure the distance of the barrels at the muzzle when I have reached my goal of accuracy at 100 yards and I make a Holland & Holland bridge on my milling machine for that distance; and sometimes I will have to make 2-3 of these bridges because only .001" to .002" distance apart makes significant differences at 100 yards. For those of you who do not understand the Holland & Holland double rifle bridge system view the video "A Look Inside Holland & Holland" and watch Steve Cranston regulate a double rifle. With the Holland & Holland muzzle bridge you never never have to be concerned with barrel movement in even the most severe and rough shooting conditions.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Today, I received an email from a renown British double rifle builder and double gun builder who apprenticed at Holland & Holland and worked for several other famous gun makers in the UK. He is a gracious friend who allows me to correspond with him about guns and rifles and has decades of experience and works from his own shop in the UK. He read my recent posts and wrote me.

He informed me that I had assumed incorrectly that Holland & Holland made a new muzzle bridge or collar to fit the final regulated barrel set on their double rifles, but that Holland instead left the vertical wedge and the barrel blocks (they wrap around each barrel--not fully though) in place and then filed them to blend in seamlessly with the front sight ramp and barrels. They do such an excellent job of this filing up that I thought it had to be a complete new bridge/collar.

What I have been doing --making a new bridge/collar has taken me hours and hours of extra work and even though the double rifles are extremely accurate, I have been doing work that was not necessary as I could build them that would be just as accurate using the way that Holland really does it.

My comment that the Holland barrel bridge eliminated any concern that the barrel would never move even in most severe use is not accurate as there is no solid single piece bridge/collar, however my double rifles with their barrel bridge/collar from my point of view should be able to withstand severe use.

My apologies to any of you that I led astray.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Edited by transvaal (22/06/23 12:12 PM)

mauserand9mm
.400 member

#377469 - 22/06/23 04:38 PM

FYI, the Merkel manual PDF is easily found on the internet. They specify right then left for the model 140 (and others) and with a 6 to 10 second delay between shots.

Less than optimal accuracy would suffice if something big was bearing down on me and it was less than 6 seconds after my first shot.

93x64mm
.416 member

Re: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #377479 - 22/06/23 09:49 PM

Qld BGR rules differ from the National rules.
Scroll down to STOPPER DOUBLE RIFLE page 7

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://ssaaqld.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Qld-big-game-rifle-rulebook-2015-Edition.pdf

STOPPER DOUBLE RIFLE
a. Min. Calibre .400 – bore guns 12 bore minimum
b. Min. bullet weight 400 grains
c. Min. muzzle energy 3500 ft lb
d. Scope Penalty - refer Section
6 - Sights
e. Centre-fire double rifles only
FIRING SEQUENCE Stopper Double Rifle (12 shots on 50m Slow Fire Pistol Target)
50 metres/yards - 1 target only
- 4 shots offhand, 2 from each barrel (30 seconds) 25 metres/yards - 2 targets 2m apart - 2 x 2 shots - 1 shot at each target off hand (per bracket of 2 shots) (10 seconds)
- 2 shots off hand -1 on each target left hand first (7 seconds)
- 2 shots off hand - 1 on each target right hand first (7 seconds)

this is most probable where it is 'official' for our QLD postal shoots.
The National rules however differ!
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.ssaa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/BGR-National-Rules-No.4-2016.pdf

To summarise
Page 6 - 3.2 - Group 2 specifications
Page 7 - 3.6 - Stopper double requirements
page 8 - 4.4 - Double Rifle firing sequence: (A competitor using a double rifle must fire the barrels in sequence. This means that in any firing sequence no two consecutive shots can be from the same barrel.)
Page 13 - 5.75 - Stopper double number of shots & distances

So no deliberate change in barrel firing order is required, only that BOTH barrels must be fired, the sequence is inconsequential!

Humble apologises to all if I've waffled on (a lot)!
I just hope it makes sense!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#377481 - 23/06/23 01:06 AM

Interesting, thanks.

So QLD rules require the barrel order to be reversed.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mauserand9mm
.400 member

#377503 - 23/06/23 07:21 PM

Quote:

Interesting, thanks.

Not the barrel, but the target. You use whatever barrel order you need to.

93x64mm
.416 member

#377509 - 23/06/23 09:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting, thanks.

Mauser&9mm
Never actually shot one of these events or seen one shot, so I 'assumed' that was the case reversing the firing order - not the target!
Certainly made an 'ASS' out of me!
Just goes to show you how rules can be misconstrued innocently!
Thanks for enlightening us all matey!

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #377511 - 23/06/23 09:28 PM

I always just close my eyes and yank both triggers. Isn't that how it's done?

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge [Re: CptCurl]
      #377518 - 24/06/23 02:42 AM

These challenges are to test out theory. And add practice to the theory.

I'll give a Gold Star to the first member accepting the challenge

I might not have a projectile shortage btw. Not all of them. I've two big boxes of Woodleigh projectiles ordered through a BGRC SA Woodleigh deal in the year before Woodeigh went down.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mauserand9mm
.400 member

#377531 - 24/06/23 11:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting, thanks.

Mauser&9mm
Never actually shot one of these events or seen one shot, so I 'assumed' that was the case reversing the firing order - not the target!
Certainly made an 'ASS' out of me!
Just goes to show you how rules can be misconstrued innocently!
Thanks for enlightening us all matey!

I'm not sure why they have rule differences between otherwise similar events. I got caught out in one double rifle stage at a match years ago when I was a couple of rounds short. I forget what the actual event was, and if it was state or national (it was held in QLD though), but the number of rounds required was different between QLD and National rules. My fault I guess, but annoying and disappointing none the less.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #377538 - 25/06/23 03:20 AM

Wouldn't have been a Nationals (one would hope!}, as strict adherence to the published National Rules is mandated.

At other range-day shoots, anything goes within reason.

I can't see any sense in using the back trigger first if a quick follow-up shot might be required. That would negate the instinctive use of the double trigger developed over time, and lead to a f*ckup sooner or later, with possible casualties in the hunting field.

Using the back trigger when only a single shot is required however, such as a finisher, would help even-out barrel wear to some degree.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Re: Wrong barrel first double rifle challenge [Re: Marrakai]
      #377552 - 25/06/23 06:44 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't have been a Nationals (one would hope!}, as strict adherence to the published National Rules is mandated.

Could have been either - National or State, you gotta follow the rules either way.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2653

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com