Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stock strength

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
yamoon
.275 member

Reged: 19/06/22
Loc: Kansas USA
Stock strength
      #377369 - 18/06/23 01:04 AM

I have a 1910 full stock MS, it weighs a little over 7 pounds. I was wondering about the stock splitting at the wrist, as this splinter of a stock seems frail for a rifle generating this much recoil. I am careful to keep the action screws tight. Is there a history of stock splitting in these rifles? It has held up well for a 109 years, maybe I shouldn’t worry.
Thanks Mike

--------------------
Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Stock strength [Re: yamoon]
      #377386 - 18/06/23 06:36 PM

Quote:

Is there a history of stock splitting in these rifles? It has held up well for a 109 years, maybe I shouldn’t worry.

From what I've read, there is.

Mine is a Take Down Model and has the 'special folding peep sight'.

The manner in which the Take Down works involves a notch at the tang which engages a fairly substantial bit of steel but I can't say that I've been less than concerned about cracking in that area.

I've loaded 42 grains IMR4895, pushing the now practically extinct Hornady 3715 (270 grain RN) with good results and have since read of others who use the very same load.

If I ever go for wild boar with it in California (where I live) the current regs require unleaded fuel (non lead projectiles). I have some Nosler 260 grain brass solids that I have not yet loaded which are longer than the Hornady 3715 and would intrude on case volume. When I get around to it (when?) I may start with a few of lighter powder charge and work up carefully, finding the lightest load that provides accuracy.

DonZ
.300 member

Reged: 24/12/12
Loc: BW
Re: Stock strength [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #377402 - 20/06/23 01:14 AM

Weirdly, I have a 1910 M1910 with an original stock, and a 1922 M1903 with a broken wrist. I think breaks are more due to "user abuse" than "spindly-ness". I have another 1939 M1903 which also has the original stock.

The broken M1903 stock has been replaced with a model GK stock. It is far more robust/heavy. I fortunately still have the "old, broken" stock, and am very much looking for someone with a replication machine.

--------------------
Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 671

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com