Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scoped Double Rifle Regulation Challenge

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Scoped Double Rifle Regulation Challenge
      #377329 - 16/06/23 10:23 PM

I have talked about this before but not sure if it has been made into a separate thread.

I'd like shooters of double rifles fitted with scopes to shoot their rifles say 1,2 and 1,2 at a target at the regulation distance. Photograph record note the results. Then remove the scope of put it on. And shoot the same 1,2 and 1,2, same ammo, same conditions and range. With no scope. Note, record, photograph. Note which was the regulated setup.

If you've got a red dot sight as well, or instead of a scope, use that in a third series as well. Or instead of the scope series, if the red dot can be removed easily.

It would be interesting to see how groups and regulation vary between open sights, red dots and scopes. Between whatever number of rifles.

Please give it a go and report back,

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Scoped Double Rifle Regulation Challenge [Re: NitroX]
      #377351 - 17/06/23 09:16 AM

Quote:

shoot their rifles ... at a target at the regulation distance

There should be no "regulation distance".
A properly regulated double rifle shoots both barrels parallel from the muzzles to infinity.
If scope sighted, the group center from the left barrel should be not more than an inch or so to the left of point-of-aim, and that from the right barrel no more than an inch to the right of POI
...regardless of group size enlarging to several inches or more with increasing distance.

Only an "unregulated" rifle (or poorly regulated rifle to be kind!) will cross at a specified distance from the muzzles.

This misunderstanding that a scoped double must shoot a one-hole group directly under the cross-hairs is persistent, but patently wrong!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Scoped Double Rifle Regulation Challenge [Re: Marrakai]
      #377355 - 17/06/23 07:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

shoot their rifles ... at a target at the regulation distance

There should be no "regulation distance".
A properly regulated double rifle shoots both barrels parallel from the muzzles to infinity.
If scope sighted, the group center from the left barrel should be not more than an inch or so to the left of point-of-aim, and that from the right barrel no more than an inch to the right of POI
...regardless of group size enlarging to several inches or more with increasing distance.

Only an "unregulated" rifle (or poorly regulated rifle to be kind!) will cross at a specified distance from the muzzles.

This misunderstanding that a scoped double must shoot a one-hole group directly under the cross-hairs is persistent, but patently wrong!

Yes I know, I wrote all that in my long regulation post thread. Go there to discuss theory.

I mean at whatever distance the person chooses,70 yards, 100 yards, 50 yards, metres etc.

This is a thread for actual results from shooting using opensights and scope or red dot or all three.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Scoped Double Rifle Regulation Challenge [Re: NitroX]
      #377356 - 17/06/23 08:30 PM

For th8s test I can use my under and over Tikka/Valmet with barrels in 9.3x74R. I've a Nightcore scope in qd mounts for those barrels and loads for the Woodleigh 286 gr PP and FMJ.

I'm loath to use Woodleigh projectiles un-necessarily on paper. Until a newc supply is available.

Need to get some Bertram projectiles for paper and target shooting events. And some medium game hunting.

I have .30-06 set of barrels for it. Not used yet. No specific scope for those barrels. I can't afford a specific scope for it right now. Maybe something like 1-5x of some sort. I'm keen on a red dot sight but need to test it before buying. Preferably in a qd base as well.

A suitable 180 gr projectile to be handloaded for.

Both would work well for all sorts of double rifle testing. Different sights. Which trigger first. Different ranges.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 528

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com