Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore [Re: kamilaroi]
      #194212 - 20/11/11 03:34 PM

Thanks K.

I was thinking Rolf may have done some metal work on it. Ross W is a good prospect for the stock.

Thinking RB as I want to see if anyone already knows what exactly it shoots, chamber etc.

The other source of info, is anyone whom knew the previous owner, as maybe he worked some things out already. Looking that up as well.

Pity the auction wasn't done in a better fashion, with more info and actually putting some stuff together. I'm sure the owner (deceased) would have been shooting some of this stuff, and had things put together. Now scattered to the four corners of the Earth.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore [Re: NitroX]
      #194224 - 20/11/11 05:34 PM

IIRC Ralf may have been liable to institute some interpretation of what was kosher unless under specific instruction recorded on a job sheet. Jest saying and without malice.

Edited by kamilaroi (20/11/11 05:35 PM)

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #194231 - 20/11/11 07:20 PM

Nice addition to your collection, NitroX.

--------------------
~

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore [Re: controlled_feed]
      #194400 - 22/11/11 01:18 AM

Quote:

John

What did you use to take the photos of the barrel flats?

CF

A digital SLR camera. And used a torch held to shine from the side onto the engraved printing. Then cropped the large image file.

The torch helped bring out the print with shadows etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (22/11/11 09:26 PM)

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #194537 - 22/11/11 08:05 PM

Quote:

Daryl and Tinker and Everyone else,

This is all new to me, so I appreciate any comments.

BTW I think I read once that it is not good to use plastic hulls with black powder? That the BP generates too much heat?

Why can't brass shells be used in a 10-bore OR this rifle? Assuming they can be sourced of course.

I have a good idea whom to call about past information on this rifle. Maybe even the guy whom may have restored it.

Very nice gun. I shoot black in plastic cases in the 10 and 8 bore guns and I haven't had any problems. I have a six dram 10 bore paradox. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot recoil wise. A lot of pop in a 10 bore five or six dram load. I use Federal 3.5" 10 gauge cases and trim them to length which is 2 5/8 for the 6 dram load. Got to get all your bore and chamber measurements then start assembling your loads. I also use Bluedot powder as does Omnibob and many other bore rifle shooters.

Edited by gatsby (22/11/11 08:08 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore [Re: gatsby]
      #194560 - 22/11/11 10:41 PM

Back to an earlier comment.

Can you shoot shot in these bores as well?

Does it harm them in any way, or prevent reasonable patterns?

Need to clean the bore, before using a ball round?

I like the idea of being able to use both ball and shot. And also still think the reason the sights all fold down is to use the gun as a shotgun. Accept I could be completely wrong ie the earlier comment they all fold down for close up "ball" action.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #194588 - 23/11/11 02:42 AM

John - Forsyth spoke of 'point blank range' sighting being taken over the folded leaves - as in when stalking through tight jungle. The sights would be folded to prevent unjury to them, and only raised if there was time, the sighting being taken over the leaves, the actual elevation for a 5 to 25 yard shot being given by the elevation of the breech (diameter). This was normal for smaller bores, ie: 14 to 16.

This probably would not work well in your 10 bore ctg. gun, as the requisite amount of powder to give a long point blank range is more than will fit in the ctg.

However, it might still be good to fire a couple shots, sighting over the folded leaves, placing the entire bead and it's base on the level surface of the leaves and see where the ball lands at 10 yards or 20 yards. Might be interesting and it could be on the bead, which would be perfect.

This is the sighting for my single shot 14 bore rifle - all leaves folded, base level on the leaves - ball hits on the bead to 50yards. So- if there isn't time to raise the first leaf, accurate sighting can still be made - close in.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore [Re: DarylS]
      #194763 - 24/11/11 08:15 PM

Daryl,

I believe you regarding the use of the express sights for very close shots!

I am still wondering though if shot can be used in these sorts of bores? Good idea? Bad idea? Won't pattern well? Work like like a wonder?!

Would make a great "cape gun" if one could load one barrel with 700 grain lead ball, and the other with shot ... ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #194765 - 24/11/11 08:28 PM

Quote:

I've got a copy of an old Tolley ad that lists 1300fps for their 5 dram load with a 700gn ball. My own 5 dram Tolley does just that (1300fps) with 120gn of swiss FFFg. Everything else crossed.

Bob

Bob,

so 700 grs x 5 drams x 1300 fps = 2627 ft lbs.

Bummer, not enough for BGRC Nitro 3 competition. Still need a .500 !

But just goes to show WHY the Nitro cartridges superseeded these old guns. And also if one would examine the lack of penetration of a round lead ball, why the early elephant hunters often had a "boy", oops, better say gunbearer (was just being historically correct), carrying a second one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (24/11/11 11:31 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

#194791 - 25/11/11 03:30 AM

According to Samuel Baker, a 14 bore double rifle shooting round balls, with only 4 1/2 drams, would put a ball completely through an Indian Elephant's head, side to side. Of course, they used hardened balls. Slugs were tried by many & him and given up upon as being inferior due to THEIR lack of penetration.

I'm talking muzzleloaders here. In a muzzleloader, hardened bullets could not be used. Hardened bullets had to be undersize to get down the bore and as such, they'd fall from the bore, or worse, move down and lodge as an obstruction if the muzzles were tilted down, as well as being inaccurate as they didn't 'take' the rifling. A hardened round ball penetrated more than enough on the heavy game.

After ctg. guns were developed and slugs could be hardened, they replaced the round balls in some guns, but not entirely, as many still trusted the hardened round balls over slugs, especially in the large bore doubles, 10's and 8's for example.

Nitro powders allowed the use of small bore sizes for all large and dangerous game, ie: .45 and .50 cal., which were mere 'stalking' or deer rifles prior to the development of smokeless powders. The nitro powders did little to improve upon the killing power of the very large bores, ie: 12 and over, as they didn't increase the speed of the balls much at all, merely shot somewhat cleaner.

Shot will probably pattern just fine out to 25 yards on rising birds, but the rifling is against you and will blow patterns fast. You'll have to test, of course. Without any sort of choke, heavy wads are prone to making donut patterns - one must adjust the load, ie: wads to find a load that shoots well. It takes at least 3 shots to 'prove' a load, pattern wise. A single shot on a patterning board can have you using a useless load for hunting and that merely makes one upset with nothing but misses due to donuts (nothing in the centre of the pattern where the wad blew through. It doen's talwasy blow through the centre, sometimes removing the entire left, right, top or bottom of the pattern. It's all experimentation - then, you get to try to find a load that shoots the same in each barrel - nothing but fun!

I've used shot in my Hawken .58 (24 bore) MLoading Rifle for grouse to 25 yards, but past that the pattern was VERY thin. It was deadly, if you could get it's 11 1/2 pounds swinging. My 9 1/2 pound 14 bore would be much better, but have never tried it with shot. I have the wads, but that's as far as that went.
Rifling can grab some lead, but a tight patch usually pulls that out.

--------------------
Daryl

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #194797 - 25/11/11 04:50 AM

NitroX-

Those bores will throw donut-shaped shot patterns.
Test it on a pattern board and see.

Get your chambers cast with alloy or sulphur.
Run it with blueDot as Gatsby and JAZ do with their bore rifles.
You'll love it.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore [Re: tinker]
      #194921 - 26/11/11 11:31 AM

Daryl

Excellent comments on the transition from BP to Nitro, exactly what was forming in my own mind when researching info on Ball Guns

The muzzleloading connection is especially relevant, in the back of beyond - Africa and India? - muzzleloaders were used much later than generally realised.

I have a quite late WR Monkeytail carbine that came from South Africa, long after cartridge arms were popular

Kind regards

TH44

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore [Re: TH44]
      #194961 - 26/11/11 06:56 PM

These bore rifles are truly special. I realized this earlier when I in a brief moment had a plan to swap my 10bore Manton into a backaction.465H&H. I actually had made an unformal agreement with a gundealer in Germany..however I got cool feet, withdrew and pulled back. I know today I am in a bad standing with the gundealer. I just can`t sell my Manton. I have looked over the net and I can found the first 7 .465s for sale but yet no 10bore in the condition my borerifle is in. Borerifles are becomming more and more scarce. Today I feel like I have saved myself from a lifetime regret and my Manton feels now even more precious to me...really like a new gun in the rack

Edited by rigbymauser (26/11/11 07:05 PM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #196709 - 14/12/11 02:00 PM

John,

A picture of the P Orr and Sons Building: these days they are only remembered as watch sellers though the article mentions "arms."

The exterior's been whitewashed recently, a sad change. I preferred the original light yellow lime exterior. But then, its almost ten years since I was in India last and I most probably won't recognize a lot that has changed since then.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
      #196728 - 14/12/11 03:00 PM

Quote:

Why can't brass shells be used in a 10-bore OR this rifle? Assuming they can be sourced of course.

NitroX,

There are two types of brass cases. First there are those that were designed for later brass cased bore rifles. These are thin brass and the guns they fit have larger bores due to the thinner case walls. The second type of brass case is, I understand, a more modern adaptation to make brass cases that fit in paper case bore rifles. Since your Westley is an early paper case gun, you would need to order turned thick all brass cases if that's what you fancy. I believe they can be obtained in the States from http://rockymountaincartridge.com/ and I know John Millar in BC can make them. Obviously you would have casts and measurements of your chambers and ball diameter ready when you place the order.
Nice Rifle, I agree with the others, get it up running with Blue Dot and cut down plastic...then you can play with the other stuff at your leisure.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore [Re: CommandCar]
      #377112 - 02/06/23 10:12 AM

Bttt for me

--------------------
John aka NitroX

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
      #377169 - 05/06/23 09:35 AM

What a great find John !!!!!! Just remember, getting it to shoot is half the fun

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New to my gunrack - Westley Richards 10-bore [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #381180 - 13/12/23 06:53 AM

On Farcebook someone is claiming a 10-bore 5 dram load isn't up to the task of killing a water buffalo.

OPINIONS GENTLEMEN?

BTW I really hope to get this ready for a trip to the Top End in 2024.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#381183 - 13/12/23 09:46 AM

Normal loads for 10 bore shotguns were 4 and up to 4 1/2 dams. They were not using heavy shot charges, though, but in the 1 1/4 to 1 3/8oz.

5 drams = 136.5gr. weight. What bullet or ball is to be used in this 10 bore, for water buffalo?

I would think it would work, but I personally would prefer more powder as designed into the guns. Should it not depend on how the gun regulates?

I think the 5 dams load vel. of little more than 1,250fps with round ball & maybe 1,000fps with a slug, will make for a steep trajectory, and unless a hardened ball is used, poor penetration.
It should work, but??

Greener's book lists 10 drams (273gr.) as normal 10 bore load with a hardened 674gr. round ball, I assume. The vel. listed for such a load is 1,600fps in an 11 pound gun.
My chart lists a 10 bore ball of .774" at weighing 700gr. in pure lead.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381184 - 13/12/23 10:12 AM

The "5 dram" only comes from the originally selling advertisement description twenty years ago by .

I doubt its been fired all that time.

Wouldn't the DRAM load be listed on the barrel flats? I can't see anything in the photos. Can look at the gun later.

Embarrassing Ive not got it shooting all this time. But at least it isn't wearing out either. I hope for it to be blooded again on something in 2024 absolutely, Jolly Good.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19214

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com