Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The first "Hunting Society" in India

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
The first "Hunting Society" in India
      #37711 - 17/09/05 11:36 PM

Article from News Today

India's first hunting society in Madras
V SUNDARAM

No one can dispute that the British Rule in India was marked by much more than mere acquisition of territory or the plunder of an ancient country with a glorious civilisation dating back to the dawn of history.

The Englishmen came to India armed with modern scientific knowledge. In every sphere of life theirs was a conquest of organised knowledge backed up by a streamlined organisation behind it.

What is amazing is that successive generations of British civil servants and officers have left behind valuable writings and documents relating to their work and life in India. The many Britons who have spoken of their past days in India have also remembered the details relating to their diversions from what they saw as everyday lives of hard work and often difficult conditions.
Indeed these diversions - especially the abundance of field sports ? were seen as among the joys of life in India. No wonder hunting was a popular sport in Madras city. In 1776, the year of American Independence, 'Madras Hunting Society' was established.

The Madras Hunt has the distinction of being the first hunt established in India. The hounds were taken out on two days in a week and the jackal was the main animal which was hunted. Jackals were plentiful. Hunting jackals was a popular sport amongst British civil servants and British traders.

Madras Hunt Club meet, 1865
The main areas which they chose for hunting were to the south of Madras at Chengelpet and to the west of Madras at Thiruvallur. Unlike today, those areas were covered by tropical forests with a rich flora and fauna. When Lord McCaulay came to India as a Law Member of the Viceroy's Executive Council, he visited Madras in 1835. He went on horseback via Poonamallee and Thiruvallur on his way to Ooty to meet Lord Bentinck, the Viceroy. Lord McCaulay has written about the thick forest vegetation of areas near Poonamallee and Thiruvallur.

The British hunters had to leave their homes at 4 am and be on hunting grounds before 5 am.

The hounds were deployed for hunting and the hunting operations used to go on till 9 am. after which all the hunters went to their offices for work.

Somerset Playne who came to Madras in 1911 and met some of the English hunters describes the country hunted in the following words:
Assembly rooms of the madras
Hunt Club, 1812 'The country hunted is not an ideal one, as it lies to the south and west of the city of Madras, and is very soft and often very false at the commencement of the season when the north-east monsoon is prevalent. The paddy fields, which are flooded with water, are deep in mire, and treacherous ground causes a lot of unseating of hunters on horseback. The ground gradually dries up, until about the end of the season, February or March, it is nearly as hard as the high road and dust is flying. It, however, usually caries a good scent, but its greatest drawback is the prickly pear, which is found nearly everywhere, and is very sore on hounds and horses'.
The hunting hounds were all trained at a kennel at Adyar. As it was impossible to keep these hounds during the unbearably hot summer season, they were generally disposed of before the onset of summer.

In view of this difficulty, the English hunters in Madras used to import about 50 couples of new hounds every year by ship in the month of August to be effectively used for hunting purposes till the end of March next year.

The Englishmen fully enjoyed themselves in these recreational activities like hunting in India because many of them found it within their reach unlike in England where such facilities were prohibitively expensive.

The plenitude of wild game in India provided ample opportunities to the British upper classes who could enjoy the wild game without the need for owning private estates.

Civil servants like Tottenham, W E Horne, Conron Smith, Todhunter, Maloney and Burns have left behind interesting accounts about their hunting experiences in and around Madras city from 1890 to 1920. They are valuable documents of social history.

There are some excellent old pictures there - please check them out before the newspaper pulls this page from it's website.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: The first "Hunting Society" in India [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #37742 - 18/09/05 10:47 AM

mehulkamdar:
Might I take this opportunity to recommend one of my favourite books on the subject, namely "Field Sports in India 1800 - 1947" by Major-General J.G.Elliott. The book also contains two chapters on Pigsticking by Brigadier C.R.Templer.

Any library on hunting in India will be at a loss without this most marvellous reference.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: The first "Hunting Society" in India [Re: Marrakai]
      #37805 - 19/09/05 01:39 PM

Marrakai,

Thank you very much for your book suggestion. I shall check with Barnes and Noble this week about ordering it through their company.

That brings me to a question inspired by your post - should we have a "favourite gun and hunting books" thread or even a section devoted to books about guns and hunting?

NitroX? Members? Opinions, please.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #37823 - 20/09/05 04:08 AM

In reply to:

That brings me to a question inspired by your post - should we have a "favourite gun and hunting books" thread or even a section devoted to books about guns and hunting?

NitroX? Members? Opinions, please.

Mehul

We already have a miscellaneous forum for this. I would like to be able to post more to this forum as these topics are favourites of mine.

Literature, movies, art & photography

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#37860 - 20/09/05 01:38 PM

Interesting story.

"Hunting" after jackal before breakfast.

Have read about it before. Another keenly pursued sport was pig sticking from horseback.

Being a dog lover I am not impressed by this:

In reply to:

The hunting hounds were all trained at a kennel at Adyar. As it was impossible to keep these hounds during the unbearably hot summer season, they were generally disposed of before the onset of summer.

In view of this difficulty, the English hunters in Madras used to import about 50 couples of new hounds every year by ship in the month of August to be effectively used for hunting purposes till the end of March next year.

Poor dogs and bastards of 'hunters'.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: The first "Hunting Society" in India [Re: NitroX]
      #37880 - 21/09/05 12:11 AM

NitroX,

Wasn't it Baden Powell who said that a gentleman wouldn't take a pig with a gun but with cold steel? Pig sticking was banned in India in the 1950s, I think, though the poor substitute of tent pegging is still popular especially with the new popularity of riding and horseback sports in India.

Speaking of the dogs, I love my dog enough to have brought him with me to the US and I can understand how you feel, but after the initial problems with imported foxhounds, the British learned about Indian hounds like the Rajapalayam, the Kombai, the Chippiparai etc in the South and established rules for breding and later for showing them. It was something that allowed these breeds to survive in India instead of them dying out because of disinterest.

Further north in India, the Nawabs of Rampur bred the Rampur hound which is a mix of Indian sight hounds and western breeds and is a fantastic dog with the superior speed and endurance of the whippet and the hardiness of Indian breeds in surviving the extreme weather in Central India. So, in the end, everything worked out for the best, I guess...

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#37897 - 21/09/05 03:12 AM

Mehul

Good to hear about the success of various og breeding programmes.

I can't understand why the hounds couldn't survive the "heat" of India. Yet breeds survive and prosper in Australia where the heat is no less in many parts and similar climates. My guess is the expense was more the factor or simple expediency.

Plus dogs raised and selectively bred in such a climates would acclimatise.

All theory of course and historical anyway.

A dog is truly man's best friend and returns the loyalty back.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1710

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com