Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers? [Re: George]
      #35839 - 15/08/05 01:35 AM

George, welcome to NE. It's always nice to be able to get information straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #35850 - 15/08/05 05:52 AM

Mr. Sandman,

Thank you for taking the time to join the forum. Since you've updated your site I've got to read it again before asking more questions.

Richard.

SDH
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: MT
Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers? [Re: rgp]
      #35984 - 17/08/05 01:30 PM

I've been a full-time custom gunmaker for three decades, I do no bolt action work. If I were to have a bolt rifle built I would go with James Tucker, stockmaker who now shares a shop with Swiss trained metalsmith Reto Bueller (541-664-9160). Tucker is the only fellow I know that has a big bore try-gun stock. Or: Steve Heilmann (530-272-8758), who does both wood and metal or Gene Simillion (970-641-1126) who does both wood and metal.

There are rifles by each of these fellows in my book Custom Rifles in Black & White and I have seen and carefully inspected numerous guns by each of them. Better quality than German, British or any semi-custom bolt rifle by far.

Each of these fellows has been in the business for neary as long as I have. The attention to detail, personal service and truly one-of-a-kind work has value far beyond money. The one-off walnut stocks will please you for the rest of your life, and others thereafter. Their rifles are know for function and accuracy as well as beauty. Why not have both?

I have referrred clients to each of these fellows and follow up reports have been wonderful. Friends were made in every case. Working directly with the fellow who creates the project is tremendously satisfying and the dollars spent will go directly into the work and not into corporate profit, advertising, promotion or to salesmen.

Choose what you want (action, brl, sights, stock blank, etc.), but listen to their advise. But please, for your own benifit, just talk with them before buying a semi-custom rifle.

A Fisher/Burgess job would be supreme, but I don't know about their back-logs.

--------------------
SDH
www.finegunmaking.com

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers? [Re: SDH]
      #35985 - 17/08/05 03:34 PM

The conclusion I came to quite a lot time ago was that assuming there is reliability with the maker, whether an individual or company, the best one is the one that makes the style you like and you generally get along with.

In other words the "whole package" is the key as opposed to examining things in isolation. It could be that you like two or 3 calibres all on the same type and style of rifle etc.

I think it is fair to say that the larger places like Weaterby will cost more for a given degree of quality than an individual maker. On the other hand the larger maker also brings some advantages. What is best for one person is not best for another person.

Some rifles by individual makers are beatifully made when each component is examined in isolation. On the other hand some of these rifles lack eye appeal from an overall view of the rifle.

One of the reasons I like flashed up Wbys is that they are very eye appealing to the non shooter, far more than other rifles. For another shooter that will mean nothing.

At the moment I think Empire has the appearance and feel of being a bit all over the place. I am sure George will correct me if I am wrong. I think Dakota has now changed but they had a set a set up where you could not get a calibre like 375 in the same rife as the 416 Rigby.

One thing I like about Empire is that similar to Wby you can have a rifle at the lower price level and also go to the sky is the limit.

I think Empires's website presenation needs to be clearer on what illustrated rifles are on what actions. Presently you have to click around a lot to find out what is what.

I think many businesses make the make the mistake of looking at existing customers and forgetting about the 99% of people who did not become customers.

Personally I would I like to see a company that was similarto Wby and when theirown calibres but with CRF actions. The 338 Lapua would be an excellent case to base the calibres on. Dakotas calibres are a fuck up becuase of becuase of brass issues, perceived or real. One only needs to look at the Dakotas for sale and the rifles in Dakota calibres are thin on the ground.

Lastly I think mainstay of the gun business is to have base rifles that are no more than 2 to 2.5 times the price of the Rem 700 or M70. That takes out 95% of shooters. On only needs to look at the forums and the dearer guns are dominated by the Ruger in 375 and 416 and the Wby Accumark both of which are in the 2 to 2.5 times the price of the average Rem 700, M70 etc.

Ithink the $10000 guns are better when there are a lot of $2000 versions out there being used by all sorts of people in all different conditions and all different countries.

Mike

rgp
.333 member

Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers? [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #36058 - 18/08/05 03:57 PM

SDH,

I have heard of Tucker and Simillion, but I hadn't heard of Steve Heilman and his name has been mentioned favorably more than once in this thread. Does he specialize in Mausers or general custom work or ?

Mike378,

I've read through the Empire website a few times now, and still find the order in which the information is presented a bit confusing. Also if you ever set foot in the USA, you may wish to stop in Weatherby's retail shop in California (if still there). They have more pimped out Weatherbys than you'll find anywhere else on earth.

Thanks,

Richard

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #36061 - 18/08/05 04:03 PM

Mike378!

Reimer Johannsen will make you a 378 Lapua. Or is that a 338 Lapua?

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers? [Re: 500grains]
      #36064 - 18/08/05 04:12 PM

I like the Reimer Johannsen rifles a lot although my favourite is the Ryan Breeding rifles out of the Mauser based rifles.

Only problem with the Ryan Breeding rifles is they need the short thick barrel to get that appearance. With the muzzle brakes on they almost look like a bolt action assault rifle .

Mike

rgp
.333 member

#36065 - 18/08/05 04:16 PM

500grains,

I noticed that Prechtl and Johannsen will build a fairly light and trim lust inducing Mauser in 9.3 x 62...as far as I can tell GSI is now importing Johannsens even though NECG is listed as importer on the Johannsen site but who in the USA sells or imports the rifles built by Prechtl?

Thank you,

Richard.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#36066 - 18/08/05 06:40 PM

Richard

I think the Empire site is probably quite good for someone who has already decided on an Empire rifle.

I think the clearest part of the site is the calibre/rifle listings.

If I was not caught up with Weatherby I think the Johannsen would be high on my list.

I did read sometime ago on 24HourCampFire that the Winchester custom shop goes well above what is illustrated on their site.

But If I had a Searcy double I would investigate thee Searcy bolt actions. They sure look nice.

Mike

500grains
.416 member

Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers? [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #36083 - 19/08/05 02:03 AM

rpg,

Nobody imports for Prechtl or Ritterbusch, but you can get your own import permit for a specific rifle and import it yourself. The riflemaker can get an export permit from the German government without a lot of trouble. But usually they charge something to do so.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#36085 - 19/08/05 02:11 AM

How would compare those rifles to what Ryan Breeding makes or What Echols would make on an H&W

Mike

SDH
.224 member

#36096 - 19/08/05 06:36 AM

Heilmann is one of the most versitile custom gunmakers in America. He has been know to do all kinds of bolt rifles from shortend actions,.22, DG rifles, ladies, full-stock, etc. Best quality innovative metalwork and juicy, classic stockmaking.
Great work, great guy.
The finest quality, most accurate and best functioning bolt rifles ever made are being built today by custom gunmakers in the USA. The best of the rest of the world are copying the rifles from our one-man shops. IMO, to import a bolt rifle is missing the best an the brightest.

Anyone shopping for a custom rifle would do well to obtain my book for reference See my home page.

--------------------
SDH
www.finegunmaking.com

500grains
.416 member

#36102 - 19/08/05 10:34 AM

SDH,

What is the URL to your home page?

____

Mike,

All of these guys are top end and it is really like discussing whether a Bentley is better than a Rolls. Johannsen and Echols are more production oriented than the others. Johannsen can get you a gun in 5 months. Ritterbusch will make anything, even really hard stuff. Breeding has his own unique style, while Prechtl, Ritterbusch and Johannsen all have similar styles not a lot different from the original Mausers. Personally I think Echols is overpriced compared to the others, but apparently Echols' customers disagree! For a one of a kind unique custom, SDH is correct that the one man shops are where you will find it. And they produce some fantastic product.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #36110 - 19/08/05 12:18 PM

SDH,

Welcome and thanks for posting here. Knowing that you are as great a photographer as a gunmaker, may I request you to please post pictures of your masterpieces from time to time when you feel like it? Thanks in advance and best wishes and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

SDH
.224 member

Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #36136 - 19/08/05 04:36 PM

500 & Mehul,
thanks for the heads-up.
Here's a recent Dakota #10 custom .257 Roberts.

Engraving by Michael Dubber.
I have no web site, just books with lots of examples of a variety of custom gunmaking.

Edited by CptCurl (21/11/10 11:34 PM)

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#36140 - 19/08/05 07:02 PM

SDH,

That is a real nice looking piece of gear.

By the way, to save me go and searching about on AccurateReloading was that you that posted picture on the Echols thread with a single shot.

Not enough money to go around

Mike

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #36205 - 21/08/05 03:22 AM

SDH,

Thanks for the picture. The rifle is breathtakingly beautiful. Please do post pictures from time to time.

Thanks again, best wishes and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

starman
.275 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: nsw
Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #36362 - 23/08/05 05:16 PM

I was at SCI this year, looked at Granite,Rhiemer,H&W,Hein.
H&W definitely the best, both kurz and magnum length.
Spoke with Darcy Echols, Jerry Fisher,Ralf Martini,all independently stated that H&W is the premier action,without any doubt in their voice or facial expression. Just a pleasing smile and grin across their dial. The Hagn single shots are right up their with them.

GMA actions. Talking with Mr.Roden at SCI he stated that he makes:
Heavy express magnum 1.5"dia front ring .750" bolt
STD magnum 1.42" dia.
Std 98 1.42" dia.
Kurz 1.3" dia.(has been discontinued)

Edited by starman (26/08/05 07:34 PM)

nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers? [Re: nitro476]
      #37654 - 17/09/05 08:38 AM

I agree. Heilmann is considered one of the best in the country. His work is incredible.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26733

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com