Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Type B fore end design

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Wedgetail
.275 member

Reged: 22/07/20
Loc: Australia- NSW
Type B fore end design
      #376426 - 29/04/23 09:05 PM

Moving this over from the auctions thread: the context of my questions is me wanting to shape a stock as close as I can get to an original Type B. I had a Type A copied onto a blank, but the maker left a square in the end of the fore end for me to shape into the schnabel end of a Type B. I believe the rest (butt end) of the two stocks are quite similar? Anyway, Marrakai has made some strong comments and I’d love to get a few more photos of fore ends of Type Bs. I have never handled or even seen a Type B in the flesh, but the underside of the fore end has a slight keel, that I’d probably use a riffler file and or spoke shave (maybe) to shape?

This is what I’m starting with. I’ll probably not be checkering it. Mods, if you had time and thought it appropriate it might tidy the auctions thread up to move the relevant comments here?
[image]https://i.imgur.com/ogyuXdUl.jpeg[/image]

Edited by Wedgetail (29/04/23 09:08 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Type B fore end design [Re: Wedgetail]
      #376491 - 02/05/23 03:29 AM

Here are photos of Mauser B foreend tips. All three foreends are uncheckered btw. About from 8cm/ 3” off the tip the shape of the cross section gradually changes from U shape to a curved V, about the shape of a medieval knight’s shield, Marrakai's "keel".

Wedgetail
.275 member

Reged: 22/07/20
Loc: Australia- NSW
Re: Type B fore end design [Re: kuduae]
      #376625 - 10/05/23 07:47 PM

Thanks a lot for that Kuduae - that’s exactly what I needed. Would it be at all fair to say the fore end was the only significant difference between the shape of Type A and B stocks?

--------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” - Rudyard Kipling

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1115

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com