Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lascaux Caves, France

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Lascaux Caves, France
      #375952 - 10/04/23 12:20 AM

We've seen a fair amount of rock/cave paintings in our travels over the years but nothing compares to those at Lascaux. These prehistoric cave paintings are incredibly well preserved and retain their clarity and vibrancy because the cave they are in was naturally sealed for tens of thousands of years, protecting them from the air and light. The cave was found in 1940 by four teenage boys who were searching for their dog.
The paintings were created between 20,000 and 10,000 BC by hunter-gatherer Cro-Magnon people. Now that's OLD!! There are around 6000 figures and they have been painted using only red, yellow and black pigments. Horses, stags, cattle and bison make up the majority however there are a few birds, a rhino and a human. Not only is the brightness of the colour amazing, they are also big..... one of the bulls is 5.2m long.

The original cave quickly became a tourist hot spot. It was closed to the public in 1963 due to the damage that was being done and the growth of algae (efforts continue today to control this and protect the original art). In 1983 a replica of the Great Hall within the cave was opened and named Lascaux II.

Today you visit Lascaux IV an exact replica of the entire original cave thanks to modern technology. The cave wall surface and contours are the same as are the colours, scale, and positioning of the paintings.

If you have ever seen other cave paintings then the sheer scale and quality of these will amaze you!

Images coming

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Lascaux Caves, France [Re: NitroX]
      #375953 - 10/04/23 02:34 AM

Sounds quite amazing. Looking forward to the pictures, but think I've seen them featured in books or maybe on the TV, many years ago.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Shootingsticks
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/23
Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Re: Lascaux Caves, France [Re: DarylS]
      #378199 - 31/07/23 05:02 AM

I would love to see Lascaux one day, even knowing I can only see the replica of the cave paintings, the integration of new digital tech has created a reportedly amazing viewing experience. As an archaeologist in BC I have seen a number of pictographs (rock paintings). Some are in good shape and others not so much. There is some cool tech currently being used such as DStretch image processing and analysis software that helps see faded paintings.

--------------------
"One cannot resist the lure of Africa" - Rudyard Kipling

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1074

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com