Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Bear Pics

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
My Bear Pics
      #37572 - 16/09/05 04:06 AM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: My Bear Pics [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #37573 - 16/09/05 04:08 AM

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#37574 - 16/09/05 04:12 AM

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#37576 - 16/09/05 04:13 AM

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #37613 - 16/09/05 01:54 PM

What are you going to do to it, rug or mounted?

Congratulations.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: My Bear Pics [Re: NitroX]
      #37626 - 16/09/05 08:30 PM

Iam going to get a full body mount standing.Iam also having the meat butchered as well.Bar-B-Que-Or Bear Biscuits and gravy and whiskey anyone.
There is a website called Skulls Unlimited,Iam going to ship them the skull for cleaning.Check them out.They do everyanimal you can think of.They even have whole lion specimans skellatons for sale.
Iam in the process of contacting Pope & Young Archery records club to verify the Kill and will submit it if the skull makes there minium score of 18inches.It has to dry for 60days before the measurement is accurate because of shrinage.I will have some idea of the green score when i get the skull back from the Taxidermist Shop.Iam very proud of the bear and the hunt and will be just as proud even if he doesnt measure up.He will allways be my favorite bowhunt trophy.Lady luck has really smiled on me.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #37628 - 16/09/05 09:40 PM

Well done, I tend to agree with you on the skull size, whether it make it or not you are still proud on your hunt. Never the less I hope it will make the cut off. A full mount will do justice to your hunt.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: My Bear Pics [Re: SAHUNT]
      #37629 - 16/09/05 10:09 PM

Here is a pic to show what the terrain looks like hear.The Movie Deliverance with Burt Renyolds was filmed in the area and was filmed 30 minutes from my home.The mountains are extremelly rugged and hard to hunt.not very much flat walking,either up or down.

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#37630 - 16/09/05 10:20 PM

Another pic of area.You guys come hunt with us !Would love to have you.Southern hospitality at its best!

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#37631 - 16/09/05 10:23 PM

Another Fall pic.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #37634 - 16/09/05 11:00 PM

You live in a beautifull place. I still have the soundtrack of Deliverace on 33 LP. Remember duelling banjo's.

Your hunting must be tough in such a mountainess area, but a hunt is so much better if you worked hard. On the other hand the beauty of the area will keep you so occupied that you won't realize how hard you must work.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

dstoj
.224 member

Reged: 14/08/04
Re: My Bear Pics [Re: SAHUNT]
      #37651 - 17/09/05 08:03 AM

A great trophy no matter the score.
Kudos to you mate.
What does bear taste like?

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: My Bear Pics [Re: dstoj]
      #37710 - 17/09/05 11:08 PM

This Saturday morning was opening day season archery for Deer& bear in my home state of Georgia, I went to a favorite mountain hunt place to have a sit and hope for a shot at a deer to make some old timely deer stew.
I just had set up my dove stool and settled down when i heard something behind me.I was on the ground sitting on a dove stool. I eased my head around the tree trunk and what met my eyes was a charging bear at full run speed! He was coming straight at me snapping his teeth growling and huffing-coming fast like a freight train and looking as big as a Volkswagen car!
Everything happened in a split second from then on but time did kind of stand still-I really just went into automatic.
I drew my recurve as I was standing up and the bear slightly turned at 10 feet!
I shot him in that split second and he ran one way and i went the other. I am glad to be alive!
THANK YOU JESUS!!!!
He is a big old male bear.
I will remember this day and that bow shot forever!
The bear was charging already when I looked around the tree to see what all the noise was.
I have a theory, but will never know for sure.
I was just over the top/summit of the ridge when he came over it, he saw me on my dove stool in full camo with face paint and head net looking like the swamp/bush creature!
I was also downwind!
I was already in his zone/space which all wild animals have. If you are far enough away-they will run-if you are in there lap/zone, they will charge and fight/attack.
They will instinctively charge for there own perseverance. It’s called Fight or flight. I think he didn’t know what I was...but then there is that 1% that we always hear about on the news that are killers anyway-but then its too late.
I am thankful and I heard him coming and was not just sitting there dozing or could not hear him at all because of poor ears. I would for sure be dead right now and the news/story would be of finding my remains......
These bears are super powerful and built to fight and kill; they can run 45M.P.H.in a split second and have the power/strength of 8 men. They are not big huggie toys like some people would rather them to be. I have the deepest respect for them and feel in a hand to claw combat, bears are truly at the top of the food chain!
I am glad we have bears and would be poorer without them, they make the wilderness that much more wild.
He more than likely was just being a bear and his behavior is just natural for there survival. They are very territorial and will kill each other in fights to the death if they catch other males in there territory.
Bears will also eat each other-cannibalism.
I know if bears will kill and eat each other-we humans don’t stand a chance! I am not very smart but I think I can figure that much out on my own!
I guess that’s why they tell hikers to make a lot of noise and blow whistles when hiking in bear country as to NEVER surprise a bear at close range! Also to NEVER RUN!
Running triggers a predator vs. prey instinct in the brain. If you run-YOU WILL BE CHARGED for sure-even if the bear was not going to charge in the first place-you trigger it by making yourself the prey.
When I stood up I was larger and I didn’t run, I just stood there aiming my bow. He slammed on the brakes at the last second and perhaps figured out what I was or smelled my scent-but my arrow found its mark the first split second he showed me a vital shot...right behind the shoulder where the heart and lungs lie.
I couldn’t get a arrow down his throat as he charged head on because his head kept swinging side to side like a bobble head doll, snapping and snarling as he came.
I was NOT going to blow the shot with my only arrow!
I was NOT going to shoot him in the lower jaw or miss!
I WAS NOT going to be second place in this fight; I was in it all the way-him or me-kill or be killed.
If he had not hesitated for that split second where I was able to get the clear shot, I would have shot him head on and just taken the impact! I would have placed my arrow right down his throat and he would have been dead just the same. I would have let loose the arrow and shot him at 3 feet or less. No doubt in my mind.
He wasn’t going to get out of this fight without a scratch!
I was shooting a Great Plains Red River 55#Custom take-Down Recurve built by Linda and Bill Foreman in Texas. I was shooting a 2216 Easton shaft with 125Gr.Snuffer 3-blade fixed broadheads, bear shooting 3-finger glove & Howard Hill Leather arm guard, Great Northern Quiver.
The bear ran approximately 125-150 yards. My neighbor and my son helped me track the bear and drag it out of the forest. I checked him out at the ranger station and filled out the harvest record. The DNR Rangers tagged him for me with a special bear harvest tag.
I was then able to take him to Cranes Taxidermy shop in Acworth, Georgia..
Clayton Crane and his son John are going to make me a full standing body mount.
I’m very proud!

blackbearhunter
9-17-05

Edited by blackbearhunter (19/09/05 08:02 PM)

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#37814 - 19/09/05 08:08 PM

I got the butchered meat back and cooked up some sage sausage and burgers.The meat is really sweet and flavorful.Just like ground chuck beef!I was suprised at how good it was!I gotta get some recepies on bear stew now!Pass the biscuits please...

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #37874 - 20/09/05 09:56 PM

A wonderful and scary report.
Congratulations, You fully deserve your splendid bear. That’s a real adventure, the epitome of a hunting life in my opinion.
Not sure I’d have had the nerves and not flinched. Lucky the arrow made the bear change his mind. How strong these beasts are, so as to be capable of running more than 100 yds away when perfectly hit in the chest. An epic experience.

I suggest to You that you should read the 2 outstanding books of Lary Kaniut “ Alaska bear tales and More Alaska bear tales”(ie on Amazon.com) , there You find lots of close shaves with black and brown bears, some humorous, some gory and many hints about bear comportment . You are bang right about flight and fight zones.
I couldn’t imagine the US are wild and preserved to the point of still harbouring bears in CocaCola state.??????????
And what a fantastic region, Your pics are giving a violent desire to visit it.

I am a Great Plains user too : Rio Bravo take down 60#, and I am using it without sightings for snap (instinctive) shooting at running boar or roe deer.

More congratulations
jb

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Taylor416
.300 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Central West, New South Wales....
      #61612 - 24/08/06 12:30 AM

blackbearhunter,
I've not seen this posting before, what an experience of a lifetime, what a hunt, you must look back at this hunt in awe. I envy you, I hope to hunt black bear soon, but i guess it won;t be like that.

cheers
Chris

--------------------
Love to hunt!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3108

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com