Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home [Re: NitroX]
      #375571 - 26/03/23 08:45 AM

Quote:

I read Kenneth Anderson wrote more about Maneaters and rogue elephants than ever he hunted. Certainly his rip roaring yarns are enjoyable but can be hard to believe.

Never heard of his son before. Interesting.

Surprised you haven't heard of Donald. Kenneth also had a daughter June, who has lived in Australia (Perth I think) for years. If I recall correctly she married a naval man and they have had children, granddaughters to Kenneth. They produced a tribute video on the anniversary of Donald's death. See link below to the tribute video and also a link to a video of Donald talking about his dad Kenneth.
It seems Kenneth was a pretty tough nut, Donald talks highly of his virtues so I imagine Kenneth probably did do much of what he wrote about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJznwgzhmCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw8y0Mec558&t=1s

Here's an image of Donald taking out a charging leopard (panther) with his 10.75x68. Kenneth allowed Donald to narrate the hunt in his own words in one of his books. Very frightening how the school friend photographer ended up behind the charging leopard.

Maybe we will get to see buckstix recreate such a feat with his new 10.75x68

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home [Re: kuduae]
      #375580 - 26/03/23 03:51 PM

Quote:

The Mauser, Oberndorf factory used the same 420 mm = 16.5” twist length in their .404, .416 and 10.75x68 barrels. See page 275 of on Speed’s Mauser – OOSR book.

Thank you gentlemen.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home [Re: buckstix]
      #375581 - 26/03/23 03:53 PM

Quote:

As the rear sight shown in the picture, the 3-leaf site was one of several options for the rifle. As Rothhammer1 pointed out, the "079" is the last 3 digits of the rifle's serial number. The standing sight is marked "100", the folding leaf leaf closest is marked "200", and farthest leaf is marked "300".

However, I don't think my 72 year old eyes will be much use over 50 meters. I might have to add one of my "Improised 50-Meter Peep Sights" - like this one that I added to my Turkey Gun. Here in Wisconsin the Sights are Free, and there are SIX of them with every 6-Pack of beer.

I didn't look at this properly before.

Wow!

Survivalist zombie apocalypse solution.

Is a pull tab from a Coca-Cola or a Pepsi better?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home [Re: eagle27]
      #375582 - 26/03/23 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I read Kenneth Anderson wrote more about Maneaters and rogue elephants than ever he hunted. Certainly his rip roaring yarns are enjoyable but can be hard to believe.

Never heard of his son before. Interesting.

Surprised you haven't heard of Donald. Kenneth also had a daughter June, who has lived in Australia (Perth I think) for years. If I recall correctly she married a naval man and they have had children, granddaughters to Kenneth. They produced a tribute video on the anniversary of Donald's death. See link below to the tribute video and also a link to a video of Donald talking about his dad Kenneth.
It seems Kenneth was a pretty tough nut, Donald talks highly of his virtues so I imagine Kenneth probably did do much of what he wrote about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJznwgzhmCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw8y0Mec558&t=1s

Here's an image of Donald taking out a charging leopard (panther) with his 10.75x68. Kenneth allowed Donald to narrate the hunt in his own words in one of his books. Very frightening how the school friend photographer ended up behind the charging leopard.

Maybe we will get to see buckstix recreate such a feat with his new 10.75x68

Thanks Eagle.

Tricky photo and dangerous shot if from a non staged photo.

Buckstix, here's something for your 10.75.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
      #375607 - 27/03/23 01:21 AM

Hello All,
Thanks for the reply.

Here is a quote from a man on a different forum ...

"... A great caliber that suffered the ignorance of the shooting world in its day.. They produced the wrong bullet that continued to fail and blamed the caliber as we still do at times..

I hunted Buffalo and Plains game with it some years ago.. the good Hornerber brass was available and good Woodleigh 347, 350 and 400 gr. bullets were abundant.. The 347 and 350 got me 2300 plus a good bit, and the 400s were good for 2100 to 2200.. Worked on Buffalo and PG just fine and gave you an extra round in a good 98 Mauser with 5 down in mine and one up the tube...."

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home [Re: buckstix]
      #375620 - 27/03/23 12:44 PM

Quote:

Hello All,
Thanks for the reply.

Here is a quote from a man on a different forum ...

"... A great caliber that suffered the ignorance of the shooting world in its day.. They produced the wrong bullet that continued to fail and blamed the caliber as we still do at times..

I hunted Buffalo and Plains game with it some years ago.. the good Hornerber brass was available and good Woodleigh 347, 350 and 400 gr. bullets were abundant.. The 347 and 350 got me 2300 plus a good bit, and the 400s were good for 2100 to 2200.. Worked on Buffalo and PG just fine and gave you an extra round in a good 98 Mauser with 5 down in mine and one up the tube...."

Don't agree with the quote. The RWS and Kynoch bullets of the day were the same as the bullets used in the 404, only they were 347gr. Yes the RWS and Kynoch bullets were not as well constructed as Woodleigh and other bullets available today but in the 404 those early bullets were heavier and longer with greater sectional density, a recipe for good penetration even allowing for some distortion due to the thinner sidewalls of the early bullets. Fishtailing or distortion of the stubby 347gr bullet in the 10.75x68 was a recipe for poor performance on big game especially elephant.

Woodleigh did not get into production of their first bullets until 1984-86, soft point weldcore developed around 1988 and supply to RWS, Norma and Wolfgang Romey from 1993 onwards. This was way out of time of the great ivory hunting in Africa.

So in the days of the great ivory and other game hunting in Africa the ammunition available for the 10.75x68 just didn't cut the mustard for that real big game. The shooting world in its day was NOT ignorant they could only use what was available and like a few other cartridges the Germans just could not quite get there when compared with what the British were doing with cartridges for big and dangerous game.

However today with good bullets and reloading ability the 10.75x68 can be a good performer but will never catch up to the great performers; 404J, 416R and 425WR in that 40cal category.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home [Re: eagle27]
      #375756 - 02/04/23 12:53 AM

I don't want to start up any debate again.
H
But on FB someone said Bror von Blixen-Finecke used a 10.75x68.

I haven't read his book for a long time, so I don't remember. Anyone know? I knowvhevdid use other rifles for sure. I have some vague recollection of a .500 NE or .577 NE?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #375758 - 02/04/23 01:28 AM

IIRC there was a guy who shot more than hundred forest elephants in the Rio Muni – Gaboon region with a B – Mauser in 10.75x68. He never complained. Maybe he did not know better. At least, he could not afford the fancy British rifles and their expensive Kynoch ammo.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home [Re: kuduae]
      #375769 - 02/04/23 03:01 AM

the old 10,75x68 don't have so much love anymore but this makes the rifles cheaper if you want to buy it

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Re: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home [Re: lancaster]
      #375804 - 04/04/23 12:28 AM

Quote:

the old 10,75x68 don't have so much love anymore but this makes the rifles cheaper if you want to buy it

Hello lancaster,
Thanks for the reply.

I wish that was true. Most seem to sell for serious money.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5315

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com