Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Big Bores and Brown Bears

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Big Bores and Brown Bears [Re: 458Win]
      #375139 - 15/03/23 08:26 AM

Quote:

Bullet construction and shot placement ALWAYS TRUMP “power”. And I don’t care who you are, long range shooting ALWAYS is detrimental to bullet placement !

Agree with one over rider. That the bullet has enough energy "power" to reach the vitals.

Re long range shooting. In my younger years when I did a hell of a lot more shooting I considered 300mts to be long range. Now days 200mts is a long shot for me. I use to be competent to shoot to 200mts standing unsupported, nowadays if it is over 50 mt I am looking to adopt a supported position if possible. The game I am talking about are animals the size of pigs.

What I am getting at is the term Long Range is different things to different people. To me 600mt + shots at animals are plain unethical. Way to many things to go wrong.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Big Bores and Brown Bears [Re: Rule303]
      #375145 - 15/03/23 09:47 AM

Exactly- too many things can and do go wrong on long shots. Shooting steel at 600 to 1,000 meters is one thing, but it is not ethical hunting, imho.
Now, that has one caveat, shooting vermin. I have shot a lot of ground squirrels at over 500yards - iirc, 560 was my longest poke. I have seen in type that some guys are able to shoot coyotes at 700yards with custom 204 Rugers and 40gr. bullets. Again, this seems OK, but not big game. Not for me, anyway.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2545

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com