Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Another Custom Mauser - Built by Jack Lott - 458 WM

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Another Custom Mauser - Built by Jack Lott - 458 WM
      #375060 - 11/03/23 02:02 PM

JACK LOTT MAUSER - .458 WM

About 7 years ago I saw an Ad offering this rifle for sale. Here is the Ad describing the rifle.

".....For sale is a .458 Win Mag built on a 1917 Oberndorf Mauser action by noted gunsmith J. P. Lott. This rifle was previously owned at one time by former Guns and Ammo editor Howard French. Unfortunately, the provenance to support this was lost by the estate of the owner before me. There was a pile of correspondence and pictures of dead African animals, taken by Mr. French. The rifle is however documented on page 80 of “Big Bore Rifles” by Jack Lott. There are three pictures of the rifle and the caption describes the custom, return to zero scope mounts.
The rifle is built on a 1917 Oberndorf action chambered in standard .458 Win Mag. The action interior is highly polished and the bolt runs very smoothly. Feeding is exceptionally smooth and it will feed empty cases and loaded ammo with no hesitations. The bolt is fitted with a two position M70 style safety and a custom checkered bolt handle which gives excellent purchase, but is not overly rough like some I’ve seen. The floorplate assembly is a non-hinged military style. The front of the floorplate is finely checked to give a good grip when sliding it back for removal. The trigger looks like the original Mauser unit and is serial numbered to match the action, as are the floorplate and bolt stop. The trigger is quite crisp and breaks at 4.5 lbs. The scope mounts, as described in the “Big Bore Rifle” article are customized Sako units on custom bases. Near as I can tell, the dovetails are parallel on both front and back and the width of the normal wider front Sako. Similar to a Talley mount, but with a wider dovetail. It appears he milled the Sako rings to match the bases. The front base is soldered to the barrel and the tops of both bases are stippled to reduce glare if using the iron sights. The barrel mounted sights consist of a three-leaf express type rear sight on a boss that also has a recoil lug inlet to the stock. This boss appears to be a separate piece soldered to the barrel. There is a mid-barrel band for a sling mount. The front sight is a stippled ramp holding a generous blade with what appears to be a square ivory insert. The front sight hood swivels away and is held in place via a spring loaded plunger. Bore is in great condition. I have not shot the rifle so cannot comment on accuracy but it is obvious that it has been used and taken care of. There is some bluing loss on the barrel near the band, most likely from being held there with the rifle over the shoulder while walking. The stock is a nice but not particularly fancy piece of dense walnut with a pleasing reddish hue. The barreled action is closely fit to the stock and appears to be skim bedded from the front sight base back to the mag box. There are no cracks in the wood I can find. The grip cap appears to be sculpted horn and the fore end tip ebony. It is fitted with a red Pachmayr Old English pad that is still in good shape. LOP is 13 7/8”. Weight of the rifle is unknown but probably between 8.5 – 9.0 lbs.
The top of the bolt shroud has a few scratches in it. There are a few bumps and bruises on the stock, but nothing too deep...."

It is very unfortunate that one of the prior owner's family members unwittingly discarded all the photos and papers that originally came with this rifle when it was sold. Those provided the provenance of this rifle being built by Jack Lott "for" G&A editor Howard French, and all the animals Howard shot with it on several Safari in Africa.

The minute I saw this rifle, I knew it needed to own it. I love rifles with History. It has many of the features reminiscent of the English Safari rifles of the early days. My pictures below, really don't do it justice. Its far more impressive in person.

In liew of the lost provenance photos and letters, the articles I've been finding as references serve as definitive proof that my rifle belonged to Mr. French, and was built by Jack Lott.

These pictures are from an article in the 1986 Gun Digest Hunting Annual. Although the pictures in the article are very dark with low resolution, all the rifle's features match, and there is no doubt this is is the same rifle.

The rifle is topped with the same Weaver scope in "Quick Detachable" Sako rings (modified by Lott) that French had on the rifle when he owned it.

These pictures come from the 1983 G&A book "Big Bore Rifle", by Jack Lott.

Here are more references to this rifle's build in the 1984 Gun Digest.

The first picture shows Jack Lott shooting a 458 model 70. And, right above him is a picture of my rifle. The picture shows the rifle before the scope blocks were fabricated.

The second picture shows my rifle's barrel unfinished, "in the white", during construction.

And here is another reference found.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Another Custom Mauser - Built by Jack Lott - 458 WM [Re: buckstix]
      #375061 - 11/03/23 02:36 PM

Cool rifle. This answers my question in the other thread.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Another Custom Mauser - Built by Jack Lott - 458 WM [Re: DarylS]
      #375066 - 12/03/23 07:29 AM

He had his fingers in a lot of pies!
Very talented man indeed - did a lot of experimentation work as well.
The 460G&A is another of his creations, was even better than the .458Lott.
Its a brilliant round for buffalo etc with a 500gn pill at 2300fps, all based on the .404Jeffery case.
In my humble opinion, more efficient than the Weatherby or later Rigby rounds!

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Another Custom Mauser - Built by Jack Lott - 458 WM [Re: 93x64mm]
      #375073 - 12/03/23 10:12 AM

Jack Lott was quite the character (and a very talented gunsmith)!!!!!! I’ve read everything I can find on Mr. Lott. I’m green with envy at your rifle !!!!!!! Good on you for buying it, a great bit of African History .

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Another Custom Mauser - Built by Jack Lott - 458 WM [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #376165 - 21/04/23 07:23 AM

What a neat rifle.

Back in 1986 I was a young seminary student heading to Africa and I wrote Lott and we corresponded a bit. At one point he offered to build me a .458. He told me to get a .375 H&H Interarms Whitworth (for the long magazine) and he'd rebarrel it to .458, sink a couple bolts in the recoil wood and thru the stock behind the magazine and put some weight in the stock as he considered the Whitworth's to be too light. I remember he wrote he'd charge me $300 for the whole job.

Well.....I really didn't need a .458 and couldn't see getting one at the time and thanked him but never had the gun built. I bought a SAKO AV .375 which I still have to this day and still shoot elk with.

When I look at that SAKO I think of Jack Lott and the .458 that never was.

Congrats on yours!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Another Custom Mauser - Built by Jack Lott - 458 WM [Re: 9.3x57]
      #376220 - 22/04/23 03:19 PM

300 $ does not seems much money today, its 273 euro and I have seen people buying groceries for the weekend in the supermarket for this amount. would have been another summ in 1986, so much about inflation.
for north american hunting the .375 was the better idea in the long run if you don't do it for griz hunting every year and also there the .375 is more than adequate. in 2023 you maybe have grizzly back on your door what nobody imagine in 1986

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Wedgetail
.275 member

Reged: 22/07/20
Loc: Australia- NSW
Re: Another Custom Mauser - Built by Jack Lott - 458 WM [Re: buckstix]
      #376258 - 24/04/23 06:58 AM

Wow that’s a beautiful rifle buckstix and very cool provenance too

--------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” - Rudyard Kipling

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Another Custom Mauser - Built by Jack Lott - 458 WM [Re: lancaster]
      #376280 - 25/04/23 03:39 AM

Quote:

300 $ does not seems much money today, its 273 euro and I have seen people buying groceries for the weekend in the supermarket for this amount. would have been another summ in 1986, so much about inflation.
for north american hunting the .375 was the better idea in the long run if you don't do it for griz hunting every year and also there the .375 is more than adequate. in 2023 you maybe have grizzly back on your door what nobody imagine in 1986

true. the grizzly line is correct...we have them expanding into our area now. it's causing the foresters to rethink their 9mm's, .22's and .40's...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #376282 - 25/04/23 03:53 AM

think the only answer for this question would be a rifle so they can sell the pistols

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #376286 - 25/04/23 05:20 AM

Quote:

true. the grizzly line is correct...we have them expanding into our area now. it's causing the foresters to rethink their 9mm's, .22's and .40's...

For those who were able to qualify for carry permits in the bush, the minimum was factory 10mm or .357 magnum.

Same here in BC. More sightings all the time. Moratorium on shooting them now, and they are prospering, but were increasing in numbers dramatically even when there was still a "hunt".
Back 8-10 years or so, when guiding & camp protection, I went for a drive on the logging roads to find some paper birch bark for fire starter. In 3 hours, I saw 5 grizzlies, only one a cub.
There are a LOT more now & they are a constant worry for me, as my wife is a hiker in a group and non of them are armed. She's the oldest, but I don't think she's the slowest.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Another Custom Mauser - Built by Jack Lott - 458 WM [Re: DarylS]
      #376288 - 25/04/23 05:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For those who were able to qualify for carry permits in the bush, the minimum was factory 10mm or .357 magnum.

Same here in BC. More sightings all the time. Moratorium on shooting them now, and they are prospering, but were increasing in numbers dramatically even when there was still a "hunt".
Back 8-10 years or so, when guiding & camp protection, I went for a drive on the logging roads to find some paper birch bark for fire starter. In 3 hours, I saw 5 grizzlies, only one a cub.
There are a LOT more now & they are a constant worry for me, as my wife is a hiker in a group and non of them are armed. She's the oldest, but I don't think she's the slowest.

w/ handguns no option, can they carry a rifle or at least a shotgun?

some of our govt forestry work crews are, i think, still required to have at least one armed individual among them.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1920

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com