Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A one off?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
A one off?
      #373890 - 06/02/23 11:55 AM

t has 4 rifle barrels in a half-circle above a 16 gauge shotgun. Calibers from left to right are 9.3x82R, followed by two in 9.1x52R, and finally a 11x74R over the 16 gauge shotgun. Two different rifling methods. The ears in front of the firing pins are the barrel selectors.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
casper50
.400 member

Re: A one off? [Re: casper50]
      #373891 - 06/02/23 12:14 PM

Someone sent me this.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #373892 - 06/02/23 12:25 PM

Regulating that thing just HAD to be an exercise in patience?
Very unique piece for sure.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: A one off? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #373896 - 06/02/23 01:21 PM

Did you buy this one?

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

casper50
.400 member

Re: A one off? [Re: tinker]
      #373898 - 06/02/23 01:53 PM

No. lol Morphy's sold it for $25500

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #373900 - 06/02/23 03:51 PM

To identify the owner just look for the hunter with a sway back. That would be an unbalanced lump of a firearm as useless as it looks. A very expensive boat anchor.
The Germans have build some fine guns, unfortunately that all ceased after the M98 and Paul Mauser's death, everything since then has been pretty miserable.

casper50
.400 member

Re: A one off? [Re: eagle27]
      #373901 - 06/02/23 03:58 PM

Wow that's a all encompassing generalization.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #373903 - 06/02/23 06:04 PM

Amazing piece of history.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: A one off? [Re: DarylS]
      #373905 - 06/02/23 10:36 PM

Mechanical artistry & beautiful work, very unique for sure; but boy it must have been a lump to cart around all day!

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: A one off? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #373908 - 06/02/23 11:05 PM

Max Ern of Leverkusen, Germany and his family are making some of the finest hunting rifles on the planet

Although the subject gun of this discussion thread is a bit of an awkward piece, I wouldn't use it as a hallmark of German gunmaking

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
Re: A one off? [Re: tinker]
      #373909 - 07/02/23 12:07 AM

"Liberated", just another word for "Stolen"

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: A one off? [Re: LRF]
      #373918 - 07/02/23 11:22 AM

LRF. That was my thoughts. This gun was stolen from a German museum.

--------------------
RB

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: A one off? [Re: 85lc]
      #373927 - 07/02/23 01:30 PM

I would think that such a weapon would make a lot more sense for use in a "Hochsitz" or elevated stand. In such a situation, the extra weight would be tolerable. Awfully difficult to use, I would think, since with no ejectors, the fired cartridges would still be in place when attempting to load quickly and under poor light conditions the fired cartridges would be hard to distinguish from the unfired ones. For me, a drilling is the ideal walking weapon, and using something of this nature defeats the purpose of a multi-barrelled firearm.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #373937 - 07/02/23 02:37 PM

Quote:

Wow that's a all encompassing generalization.

Yes quite a ridiculous ignorant statement IMO.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A one off? [Re: xausa]
      #373938 - 07/02/23 02:52 PM

I think it is a ridiculous firearm. Way over complicated, with so many barrels and cartridge choices. Did the user get confused which ammo went where?!

I agree a drilling is an excellent idea. Two rifle barrels and a shotgun where the rifle is more called for. Or the more usual two shotgun barrels and a rifle for bird and fur shotgunning and the occasional rifle shot.

My two barrel combination rifle shotguns are fun and useful. But limited by one only of each. A single barrel shotgun is the most limiting.

As for drillings, to me that's the limit. Some do have a small .22 RF or Hornet barrel in between. If it actually shoots to target that is a useful addition.

Btw hochsitz hunting is very different from stalking. The hunter takes a lot longer to decide and shoot. I hunted roedeer in Northumberland and the gamekeeper related how German hunters would come with drillings and shoot the wrong barrel. I took a "hochsitz hunter" out after chital stag here. And he thought he could spend 5 minutes staring at the stag instead of 5 seconds to get a shot off. Was also constantly texting on his phone ... I should have taken his binoculars away and thrown his phone away as far as I could ... I make a great guide!

The displayed Funfling (?) 5 Barrelled gun was a museum piece for a reason. One off. Unusual. Before being stolen by an arsehole.

Hey if we have to give stuff back legally purchased, liberated, stolen from blacks, browns, reds and assorted colours, what about the "white man"!

That gun would make a nice walk decoration and conversation piece only IMO.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (07/02/23 02:58 PM)

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: A one off? [Re: NitroX]
      #373940 - 07/02/23 03:24 PM

Here's a link to a very good article on German hunting guns. My post above was a little tongue in cheek however I did spend a year in old West Germany doing a lot of hunting and had several German friends who had all hunted with me here in NZ at various times and who were hunters back in their homeland, some having their own hunting area and others guests of hunting area owners. I had a German hunting licence so could hunt unaccompanied in areas where I was invited to hunt.

Two of my friends were avid collectors of German and Austrian firearms, one a very well off Dentist who often visited Ferlach in Austria where he had bespoke firearms made. I accompanied him on one of these trips and got to visit several of the gunsmiths in residence in Ferlach, do some shooting on the famous shooting range there and then head up country where my friend went for an evening shot for red stag (they were roaring then) and/or chamois.

I shot several roe deer in the Black Forest area of Southern Germany and went out on hunts in the Swabian Alb and in a little village on the outskirts of Stuttgart where another friend's father had the shooting area.

I used firearms in various styles and calibres, my first roe buck with a 6.5x54 MS, my second buck I think was with a 6.5x55 in a Heeren falling block rifle, a cull doe and yearling using the 7x65R under-barrel in a Bochbuchsflinte (12G over/7x65R under) and others I just can't remember now. One was a nice bolt action in 8mm Mauser and I was horrified when opening the bolt to put one up the spout once settle in my allotted hochsitz, to see a magazine full of a variety of different types of 8mm cartridges. Fortunately no roe deer appeared so I didn't have to shoot, who knows whether the rifle was even zeroed properly.

In all the hunting I did and saw there wasn't one instance where I saw any value in lumping round some of the fancy, intricate and sometimes butt ugly guns that were being used, almost all topped off with great heavy scopes mounted high like carry handles. With one exception, the hunters didn't make use of any of the multi barreled guns they carried, all just using the rifle barrel. The exception was a poor shot with a Bochbuchsflinte who used two charges from his shot barrel and two rounds of 22 Hornet from his rifle to finally kill a fox from a hochsitz position.

A basic bolt action 223 with a Leupold scope would have fitted the bill perfectly for everything I shot and saw shot. My main German friend (a forester) with whom I spent most of my time with in Germany immigrated to NZ not long after I returned home. Despite his collection of 'fine' German and Austrian guns, his go to rifle for hunting NZ (real hunting he calls it) is a Steyr Mannlicher plastic stocked Professional Model 7x64. Low mounted scope in genuine Weaver rings on Weaver bases with a single stage trigger.

https://www.germanhuntingguns.com/about-the-guns/gun-types/

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#373943 - 07/02/23 04:14 PM

Eagle,

Yes some unusual gun choices by many in Germany.

As for the Mauser 98. When you have invented the best ever, it's just downhill from there.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #374003 - 09/02/23 03:56 PM

I'm 75 now and hunted with drillings since I was 12. One day as a kid I took 7 chukar, 15 Valley quail, and a big 4X4 mulie buck, hunting the rugged Limbo Range north of Reno NV. We had a lot of game back then, but a 40+ year drought cycle, big mining, cheat grass proliferation, and now the advent of the ATV/UTV have ended all that.

I still hunt deer with a drilling. I'm happy with a few forest grouse or chukar, and I often see a few when after deer.

A few years ago in Oklahoma I hunted with a good friend from there and shot plenty of Bobwhite quail and a late season whitetail doe. This was the product of an abbreviated late afternoon hunt.

I was using my circa 1955 Sauer LUX drilling in 16/16/6.5X57R with a 6X Hensoldt in claws. I carry the scope off the gun and snap it on for a longer rifle shot. I hunt deer and big game wearing a shotgun vest with a game bag...very handy.

It's this gun:

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: A one off? [Re: 85lc]
      #374004 - 09/02/23 04:08 PM

Quote:

Doesn't bother me one bit. My two uncles had their lives stolen from them by the Germans back then. Some of the guns in museums were "liberated" by ardent Nazis and used to kill allied troops.

Thanks for posting photos of that cumbersome nightmare to regulate gun. Leave it to the Germans to make even hunting overly complicated. I've heard of funflings but this is the first photo of one I've seen.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: A one off? [Re: luv2safari]
      #374009 - 09/02/23 11:39 PM

This particular firearm doesn't interest me. However, My Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling with a 22LR einstecklauf is my "go to" hunting firearm. As a landowner I'm not encumbered with a lot of meaningless, nonsensical game laws, though Missouri doesn't have many that would preclude me from hunting with a multi-cartridge firearm in the first place. With mine I've taken a deer, squirrels and dove on the same outing....all with open sights. None of my drillings have bases. But, I don't know everything like eagle does. Having hunted the US From Maine to Arizona and Virginia to Wyoming...and 65 years in Missouri, I'm just a rookie.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #374011 - 09/02/23 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't bother me one bit. My two uncles had their lives stolen from them by the Germans back then. Some of the guns in museums were "liberated" by ardent Nazis and used to kill allied troops.

in a world running by reincarnation and karma everyone is responsible for himself. nobody do you any harm, he is only a tool by the world spirit to fulfil your karma.
but being a tool don't safe you from the new karma that become out of this so I try to refuse.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
      #374013 - 10/02/23 12:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

.....My two uncles had their lives stolen from them by the Germans back then.....

Paul says in Romans, “...... Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Do not take revenge..."

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: A one off? [Re: LRF]
      #374229 - 18/02/23 11:57 PM

You may call it as you wish, stolen, liberated, whatever. But the fact remains that had a very great number of those firearms NOT been stolen....or liberated, they would have ended up beneath the treads of a Sherman tank or been the makings for a large bonfire. As it is, they are still here for many to enjoy and appreciate. Perhaps those who snatched them from the jaws of destruction should be thanked rather than accused and condemned.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Edited by sharps4590 (18/02/23 11:59 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2686

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com