Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
A Jeffery Double in 600 NE
      #373277 - 19/01/23 06:07 AM

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplo...stley-richards/

Matt.

W.J.Jeffery's Iconic Double .600 Nitro Express At Westley Richards

January 17, 2023

W.J.Jeffery's Iconic Double .600 Nitro Express At Westley Richards
The 1920s were pivotal years for British gunmakers. November 1st 1920 saw the first licence requirement imposed on civilians for the ownership, possession and transfer of rifles, pistols and their ammunition. Before that date, Englishmen were as free to own firearms without restriction as are today's Texans.

By Westley Richards & Co.

The Wall Street Crash was a decade away and the demand for beautifully embellished sporting guns from Indian princes was at its height. American orders were becoming increasingly important and the African Safari was as much a right of passage for the well-heeled as had been The Grand Tour for their parents. The horrors of the First World War gave way to the optimism of the next generation, as 1914's teenagers gained their majority and entered society. Jazz, motor cars, American movies and travel by luxury liner seemed to epitomise the modern world.

Overseas, the German and Ottoman empires were carved up among the victorious allies and the world order might have looked deceptively glossy to the average Briton.

A surviving catalogue from the firm W.J. Jeffery & Co. Ltd. reflects the heady sporting environment, with rifles and shotguns illustrated and described for all manner of game at home and abroad. Rifles began with the increasingly popular .22 rimfire (short and long) and ran the gamut through .280, .333 and .404 up to the most fearsome double rifle of the day; the .600 Jeffery.

Not only do we have an original 1920 catalogue here illustrating and describing this behemoth, we have a rare and beautifully original example of the very rifle, built in 1923. Though an innovator, Jeffery's set-up was not a gunmaking factory, so all rifles bearing the name were made elsewhere in the trade, to order. The distinctive action-back shape of this rifle indicates the maker was probably Daniel Leonard. Not all these .600s are the same, many have plain boxlock actions with a straight line where wood joins metal, one example that has previously passed through Westley Richards was built on a sidelock action.

The rifle pictured here is heavy, short, squat and business-like, clearly intended for short range work in thick cover, a situation in which a hunter might need to knock off its feet anything with malign intent against his person. Before we inspect the rifle, we should examine the cartridge for which it was built. It is one of the all time icons of double rifle development.

The 3" drawn brass case holds 100 grains of Cordite and launches a 900 grain bullet at 2,050 fps, delivering a massive 7,600 ft lbs of striking force. For comparison, a 4-bore with 14 drams of black powder behind it only achieves 7,000 ft lbs. The .600 was the undisputed champion of stopping rifles. Jeffery actually made some .600's proofed for 120 grains of Cordite (though I know of only one in existence).

Though not as popular as the .577 NE, which John Taylor preferred, claiming better penetration, Jeffery did make a fair number of .600's and in later years other makers did likewise, notably Holland & Holland who built their 'last .600' in 1975, and for almost 100 years it was the biggest commercially available double nitro-express rifle. At a cost sixty-five pounds in 1912, it was more expensive than a best quality sidelock to purchase.

The 1923 rifle we have here is stamped for the 100 grain powder load and a 900 grain bullet (solid nose 'No 2. pattern' and soft nose 'No.1 pattern' variants were available). Jeffery helpfully advised; 'the .600 is the perfect weapon for jungle or elephant shooting as anything hit with its 900 grain bullet is usually knocked over on the spot'.

This rifle has 24" barrels and 14" stock length to centre, making it 40 1/4" from muzzle to heel. The action is massive The bar is 2 1/2" across and the fences measure 2 3/4". It stands 2 3/8" high. Jeffery built these rifles on snap under-lever actions by design, claiming 'it is a far stronger mechanism than the top-lever, and it admits nearly ten times as much pressure being applied to withdraw the bolt'.

At 4 3/4" circumference, the wrist looks slim by modern standards, though the steeply-pitched pistol grip is bolstered by a long guard strap, abutting a steel grip cap. The chopper-lump barrels have a stippled quarter rib, standing fifty-yard rear sight and folding leaves for 100 and 200 yards, which are surely redundant. The foresight is a conventional ramp and blade.

The action and barrels are locked by a combination of the Purdey under-bolt and a Westley Richards doll's head, jointed on the circle but without a sliding top-bolt. Build quality is first class and the action and furniture fully scroll engraved. The metal work remains in very good order, showing little wear, and a good percentage of case colour remains.

The wood is dark, straight-grained and unremarkable but this rifle is no show-pony, it was made to handle massive recoil and do its business in the dark, dirty corners of Africa, where strength trumped ostentation by some margin. The orange rubber Silver's pad and spacer make up 7/8" of the 14" length and are now somewhat degraded by time.

The, rather stubby, forend houses the ejectors and is secured by an Anson push-rod forend release (others have a lever grip-catch). Sling eyes located on barrels and stock make for easier carriage, which would be a blessing in the African heat, for the rifle weighs 15 1/2 lbs.

Jeffery advised buyers to opt for a non-automatic safety, warning 'When a sportsman is hurried, it is very likely that he will put the rifle to his shoulder without thinking about pushing forward the safety slide, whereas with a non-automatic that difficulty is overcome.' However, this example has an automatic safety. So, the buyer clearly had his own ideas on what suited him best.

Some of the personal recommendations cited within the catalogues speak of a long-past era. One in which dangerous game was plentiful and generally considered a pest, rather than a valued resource. Mr Karl Larssen recalled "I have up to date shot fifty two elephants, six lions and many other animals that are too numerous to mention. With the .600 rifle I lost only one bull out of thirty six that I killed (shot at)". Such an extensive trial is surely a reliable testament to the efficacy of the rifle and cartridge in real life conditions.

Larssen was not the only aficionado. Among other renowned .600 users we can count Bror Blixen, John Taylor and Major Powell Cotton. Westley Richards still get the occasional order for this calibre. A twenty-year-old example revisited the factory last year. For some it will always be the ultimate stopper. For others, it is a bit 'too much', with the size and weight penalties not worth any perceived advantage over a .577.

For the modern collector, these huge, rare rifles represent something of a Holy Grail. If you can find one in good order, it will cost you in excess of $100,000. For a modern hunter commissioning this, most impressive of all the nitro express rifles, for an elephant hunt, a new one offers the opportunity to go afield with something few men alive have seen and fewer still have fired.

By Westley Richards & Co

Edited to add commentary and images.

Edited by NitroX (02/08/23 04:11 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #373278 - 19/01/23 06:28 AM

Oh - that's nice, beautiful actually, but like the .460 WTBY, it is just too powerful for Canada - it frightens the Politicians so it's prohibited as it exceeds 10,000joules - by 300 of them in factory guise.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: DarylS]
      #373280 - 19/01/23 06:38 AM

One awesome rifle there - now 100 years young!

FlatTop45
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/16
Loc: South Texas, U.S.A.
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: 93x64mm]
      #373288 - 19/01/23 11:57 AM

Gorgeous Rifle!

Thanks for sharing.

J

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: FlatTop45]
      #373352 - 21/01/23 10:51 AM

That’s what a Double rifle is supposed to look like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for posting

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #373374 - 21/01/23 08:27 PM

I think one of our members has a Jeffery .600 NE dr. I have a photo of Graham Williams holding the borrowed rifle at a BGRC Nationals shoot in Darwin a few years ago.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #373753 - 02/02/23 03:01 PM

This is why I come here!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: luv2safari]
      #373780 - 02/02/23 11:36 PM

I am fascinated by the versatility of the 600 NE ROUND. WILL SOON HAVE 3 doubles in hand. Sadly not a Jeffery. That will be my next challenge.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: Ahmed577]
      #373792 - 03/02/23 10:49 AM

Quote:

I am fascinated by the versatility of the 600 NE ROUND. WILL SOON HAVE 3 doubles in hand. Sadly not a Jeffery. That will be my next challenge.

Graham Williams had one of yours. If not a Jeffery, an H&H?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (08/02/23 04:12 PM)

Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
      #373861 - 06/02/23 02:00 AM

Quote:

Oh - that's nice, beautiful actually, but like the .460 WTBY, it is just too powerful for Canada - it frightens the Politicians so it's prohibited as it exceeds 10,000joules - by 300 of them in factory guise.

So your criminals use $100,000.00 rifles?

--------------------
Longknife

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: Longknife]
      #373948 - 08/02/23 04:41 AM

A 1907 photo of a Jeffery .600 NE in the hands of German Hans Schomburgh, 1880 – 1967, taken while he was in the then North Rhodesia – Angola – Belgian Congo area. He wears that kilt because all his trousers fell victim to the bush. I will post more on him and photos from his books later in the African Vintage pic thread on the Hunting in Africa forum.

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #373949 - 08/02/23 04:49 AM

Quote:

Is the government afraid that the user would kill off all the Canadian elephants?

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: kuduae]
      #373977 - 08/02/23 04:15 PM

Quote:

A 1907 photo of a Jeffery .600 NE in the hands of German Hans Schomburgh, 1880 – 1967, taken while he was in the then North Rhodesia – Angola – Belgian Congo area. He wears that kilt because all his trousers fell victim to the bush. I will post more on him and photos from his books later in the African Vintage pic thread on the Hunting in Africa forum.

Wunderbar, Kuduae. Yes please.

A kilt is better than Herr Schomburgh doing a John Taylor!

Btw that kilt might be a pair of trousers cut and worn upside down?

I know the feeling. In the Top End hunting buffalo with Curl one of my pair of shorts ended up ripped almost from leg hem to belt on one side. Nice and airy that day.

I can see that if in the bush for months, thorns and Hardwear, a safari sewing kit would be essential.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (08/02/23 04:19 PM)

ChrisCoade
.224 member

Reged: 11/04/23
Loc: Stow-on-the-Wold, England
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: NitroX]
      #376669 - 13/05/23 01:37 AM

The Westley Richards blog says "the distinctive action-back shape of this rifle indicates the maker was probably Daniel Leonard".
Leonard's, gunmakers in Birmingham, England made a number of N.E. Double Rifles "for the Trade" including W.J. Jeffery & A. Hollis - I have identified 21 N.E. Double Rifles that are "Leonard-made" for W.J. Jeffery (14 guns) & Hollis (7 guns). An Leonard-made Jeffery .600 N.E. Double Rifle was sold by Rock Island Auction in 2007 for US$43k.
Rusty Knight (R.I.P. 2022) & "400NitroExpress" (R.I.P.) and R. Nolan Keiler did a lot of research on the Leonard-made N.E. Double Rifles. They identified that a Leonard-made Double Rifle had a 3 or 4 digit Makers Number stamped on the barrels under-rib just forward of the fore-end lug & the same number also stamped on the action underneath the bottom action plate. If it was a "finished" gun then that number was also stamped in ink on wood on the interior of the stock where it joins the action & under the forearm metal. Harry Leonard was a son of Daniel Leonard. The firm started in 1832, changed its name to Daniel Leonard & Sons in 1866, and ceased trading in 1966 after 134 years of gunmaking on the death of 3rd generation Charles Leonard (no sons).

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: ChrisCoade]
      #376681 - 13/05/23 11:26 AM

Chris:
Welcome to the forums!

As you will probably know the existing W.J.Jeffery & Co workshop records show the maker and date.
The .400NE double that I have been trying to wear out over the past few decades was made by Charles Leonard in Feb 1939.

All ten firearms on the same page of the ledger were made by Leonards, one by Harry (July 1938) and the rest by Charles, although only 3 were double rifles.

Hope this is of interest.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

85lc
.375 member

Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: Marrakai]
      #376695 - 14/05/23 01:29 AM

Chris,

Very interesting information about Leonard. I knew that many, if not most, of the guns sold by the likes of Jeffery, Hollis, & others, were made by other firms that manufactured for the trade.

Marrakai,

I didn't realize that the Jeffery records still exist. How do I see the records for my two Jeffery rifles?

--------------------
RB

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: 85lc]
      #376701 - 14/05/23 09:36 AM

85lc:
Its not a simple process, and you should search these forums for the current status of the records and protocol for researching your Jeffery rifles. Pretty sure its been discussed/updated in the last few years.
I went through Paul Roberts in the UK years ago, when he was collating requests and forwarding them to Thomas Friedkin in the US, who owned the Jeffery name, maybe twice a year iirc.

Note that the sale register no longer exists, only the workshop records. Can't remember the reason but maybe tossed out during a cleanup following the London Blitz?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: Marrakai]
      #376727 - 15/05/23 02:37 PM

A note as to the existing Jeffery records:
True what Tony/Marrakai says, there are several posts by myself here on the forums referencing the W. J. Jeffery daybooks and their whereabouts.

The surviving records consist of the company "daybooks" (workbooks) and are not sales records. These are privately held and are (or were) very closely held for the last few years.

Some years ago Paul Roberts (John Roberts & Son) did in fact hold the daybooks and at that time the records were relatively easy to get information from.

Fast forward and the daybooks were sold to Thomas Friedkin (The Friedkin Group) of Houston, Texas. The records became privately held and the daybook info was fairly difficult (really VERY difficult) to obtain.

Thomas Friedkin passed in 2017, but his heirs & Friedkin Group continued to hold the Jeffery daybooks and any info was via request to the Friedkin Group. Any records search was usually carried out maybe twice a year when a company rep would travel to visit the place where the daybooks were kept.
If you did manage to contact the right person at The Friedkin Group they were quite cordial and happy to assist the search for info on particular Jeffery serial numbers.

I have "heard" that there is an effort ongoing to make these daybooks more accessible, however I don't know if this is fact or vain hope.

No, I do not have any current contact info for the relevant people at The Friedkin Group if they in fact even have the records any longer.

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: 3DogMike]
      #376732 - 15/05/23 05:39 PM

So a little information which can be added to this post.

Jeffery guns are once again being produced in the UK by a Richard Aniston-Newgrass who has taken gun production back from the US (Reto Buhler was making them in the US for a period of time)

Fieldsports Magazine Volume VI, Issue III has an article in there showing the new guns being produced in 404 and 500 Jeffery to start with. they are magnificent. Hopefully some smaller cartridges are also produced over time.

Whether he now owns the books that go with it there is no mention of but contacting him might answer that question.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A Jeffery Double in 600 NE [Re: 3DogMike]
      #376735 - 15/05/23 05:50 PM

OK when I win lotto I'll buy them .... Why do people buy stuff and then want it completely private. I've had people say they own some old firearm now and want the public photos on the forums deleted. Imagine how sad museums would be with only locked doors for any one from the public.

I have no information about my Zabardast, my .450 no.2 NE W.J. Jeffery. I also would like any historical information from registers, day books etc. Anyone who could assist, would be appreciated.

PS I imagine with only serial numbers, maybe proof marks, the day books might need a page by page search, trying to range down the day periods, Obviously more efficient tondo bigger batches all at a time. Makes sense, a couple of times per year.

If I had such in my control, I'd make an online form with all the required information to be listed and a handling fee payable for the person's time. A couple of times a year for efficiency. It's really nice gunmakers will still often provide such a service from their records. Great extended customer service!

It would be nice to know at least the first owner. I wonder if Westley Richards can go back to the 1870s?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#376736 - 15/05/23 05:52 PM

Quote:

So a little information which can be added to this post.

Jeffery guns are once again being produced in the UK by a Richard Aniston-Newgrass who has taken gun production back from the US (Reto Buhler was making them in the US for a period of time)

Fieldsports Magazine Volume VI, Issue III has an article in there showing the new guns being produced in 404 and 500 Jeffery to start with. they are magnificent. Hopefully some smaller cartridges are also produced over time.

Whether he now owns the books that go with it there is no mention of but contacting him might answer that question.

Matt.

Excellent.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

85lc
.375 member

#376746 - 16/05/23 07:04 AM

Guys,

Thanks. For me, it looks like trying to get info out of the the Friedkin Group is a difficult task as the "Group" is not a singular firm but is 16 companies (see: https://www.friedkin.com/companies), none of which seem to be related to Jeffery.

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#376754 - 16/05/23 04:27 PM

Quote:

Guys,

Thanks. For me, it looks like trying to get info out of the the Friedkin Group is a difficult task as the "Group" is not a singular firm but is 16 companies (see: https://www.friedkin.com/companies), none of which seem to be related to Jeffery.

There's an email address and a phone number at the bottom. Perhaps a place to start?

If you find out I'd like to put in a request as well. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

85lc
.375 member

#376756 - 17/05/23 12:00 AM

John and others,

I sent an email to the Friedkin Group. Lets ee if I get an answer. If so and they are agreeable to providing info, I will coordinate getting info from the daybook for your guns.

--------------------
RB

85lc
.375 member

#376759 - 17/05/23 02:28 AM

I believe that I have success!! I will start another tab to discuss get info from all about Jeffery guns.

--------------------
RB

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6477

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com