Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Greek Steyr 1903 6.5x54 mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Greek Steyr 1903 6.5x54 mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #356567 - 05/09/21 09:55 AM

Have to give it a try.

Seeing people are amused by my fluffy toys, I will have to do a Karamojo Bell version and display the fluffy leopard with the 6.5.

I have to admit I have been tempted to purchase a really nice and very large lion. Just have to find a kid to justify it.

Must be going backwards with oldtimers ...

On the same note, a local shop in the city used to have a huge fake rhino, a white rhino I think. Made from plastic, or foam, or something. But it was quite good and lifelike and approaching lifesize. Only a decoration and not for sale. Would have been too much but not as much as shooting a real one.

For the garden one Xhristmas I was seriously tempted by a huge tiger made from some cement or artificial concrete or something. Quite large, but maybe one-sixth or one-quarter full sixe. Was seriously tempted for my verandah greenhouse jungle. A jungle in the making. Several hundreds of dollars, and I had spent too much that Christmas already. I will look to order one hopefully if they are available one day. Every jungle needs a tiger and/or a leopard to be lurking in the palm bush fronds.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Greek Steyr 1903 6.5x54 mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #372252 - 13/12/22 12:37 AM

Bttt

--------------------
John aka NitroX

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: Greek Steyr 1903 6.5x54 mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer [Re: NitroX]
      #372453 - 19/12/22 03:34 PM

Have you loaded some cartridges and tried this thing out yet John ?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Greek Steyr 1903 6.5x54 mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer [Re: darwinmauser]
      #372457 - 19/12/22 04:01 PM

Unfortunately no.

Gathering dust like 90% of mine are currently.

I'd like to get some of that loaded ammo Ozhunter imported and sold off my committed to part to a Sydney gunshop. If the gunshop still has supplies would have to visit in person or ? and pick up later. Would be a quick way to see if it shoots at all. I doubt inwoukd need lots of ammo for this rifle. Was just talking about trying to use some Emirates points that way one way! But alas not enough.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (19/12/22 04:08 PM)

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Greek Steyr 1903 6.5x54 mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer [Re: NitroX]
      #372546 - 23/12/22 03:30 AM

Mine started out the same way. Same action, but I put in a new barrel which I turned from a Green Mountain Blank. I hand made a new stock with new butt plate and a hand made Trigger Guard. I set it up with iron sights with it zeroed at 100 200 and 300. I made the rear sight base, the barrel band fore-end key and mount and bolt handle. To my eyes it's a very nice light weight stalking rifles and so far I have killed a few prong-horn antelope and several deer, but I have not killed any elk with it (yet)
The load I am using in the 156 grain PPU bullet in PPU brass with 39 grains of IMR3450. The barrel is only 19 inches long. I get 2233 FPS from that load in this rifle and the accuracy is simply excellent. I have sued the 160 grain Hornady bullet, the 160 grain Sierra bullet and the 156 grin PPU and the PPU is clearly the best in the game fields. The Hornady breaks up a bit more then I like and the Sierra does too but even worse. The PPU has done an excellent job every time I have made a kill with it and it's as accurate as I could ever ask for. My closest shot so far was about 3 yards and my longest so far was 264 (lasered).
If I ever do go elk hunting with this little rifle I will definitely be loading it with the 156 Gr PPU bullets.
2018 #1 Ant. Buck by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6803

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com