Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes
      #372084 - 07/12/22 02:33 AM

The 5 Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes

The truth is that rimfires are a little on the light side for coyotes, so it’s critical that you select the right load. Here are five standout options

By Richard Mann | Published Dec 10, 2020 7:00 PM

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/hunting/the-best-rimfire-loads-for-hunting-coyotes/

Possibly applicable to foxes, dingoes, jackals etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes [Re: NitroX]
      #372123 - 08/12/22 03:48 PM

imho, this is all bullshit
no rimfire cartridge is a good one for hunting coyotes, .223 rem. is good for every single one. it should be a minimum caliber on game of this size.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes [Re: lancaster]
      #372128 - 08/12/22 07:14 PM

Quote:

imho, this is all bullshit
no rimfire cartridge is a good one for hunting coyotes, .223 rem. is good for every single one. it should be a minimum caliber on game of this size.

Never hunted a coyote but I agree regarding a .223 is much better. Don't agree to a legal minimum.

I was thinking about foxes. A .22 RF will work at closer ranges or the right placement. A .22 Mag better. A .222 excellent. Same with dingoes.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes [Re: NitroX]
      #372134 - 08/12/22 11:08 PM

ok, 222 rem counts but it became obsolete now in new rifles

fox weights up to 14 kg but 10 kg is more common. never have shoot a fox with 22 lr but other say its possible up to 50 meter - 50 meter is not a long distance at all.

coyote weigh the double of a fox and is hunted most times in very open areas.
a .223 will allways do the job like our american friends will say and have maybe more bullet energy at 300 meter a 22lr will have on 50.
take what you want 22mag or 17 hmr this are all toys against the .223 rem.

you cant do this with a rimfire cartridge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PiRhMDR46s

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes [Re: lancaster]
      #372145 - 09/12/22 06:03 AM

The .17HMR reportedly does a decent job to about 100 yards/meters, but only with the 20gr. HP.
.17Rem. is good to about 350yards or so with 25gr. HP's. The 20gr. and 25gr. Vmaxes tend to splash on the surface if there is a bone underneath, like on a shoulder.
.17 Hornets in the same boat.
.22-250's and .220 Swift much better, as-are .243's & ETC, however the bullet and bullet placement is much more critical to prevent pelt damage, if that is a consideration.
I loaded .22-250's for a friend and coyote killer. I used 50gr.Sierra Blitz and instructed him to shoot between the ribs(lol) or frontal chest shots. The reason for the high blowup bullet, was for small entry hole and ZERO exits. This worked perfectly for front-on shots on called coyotes & rib shots, too. The odd time he had a bit of sewing to so, but not often.
The "modern" .22 Hornet in CZ, Ruger, Anschutz or TC rifles loaded with 45gr. Hornady SP's at 3,100fps is a really good coyote round to an easy 200yards. Small, almost invisible entrance, with no exit and DRT (dead right there) coyote.
Of course, the .222 or .223 give a bit more range than the "modern" Hornet, but not as much as the larger .224's or .243's.
The problem with .243's is pelt damage with just about any bullet, especially if used on a fox.
Long time ago, I worked up a load for a fellow with a .243 "International" Ruger M77(full stock). I re-bed the forend to touch only at the muzzle end and the rest floated to 1" in front of the action, that area bedded in glass as well. This was written up somewhere as the way to properly bed a full stocked rifle. I did not charge him for anything as he was a friend, I thought.
I used 75gr. Hornady HP's loaded to about 3,450fps in the short barrel. Didn't matter where he hit the coyote, but of stitching and done. Then, he foolishly shot a fox, almost cut it in 1/2 - "& IT WAS MY BLOODY FAULT" - imagine that. Last time I helped anyone of his ilk.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes [Re: DarylS]
      #372201 - 11/12/22 07:02 AM

I have killed a large number if coyotes with both 22 LRs and 22 WMRs. The LR is fine inside it's range, but the 22 WMR with 40 grain hollow points was quite a lot better. I used to earn a noteworthy percentage of my living killing coyotes, foxes and cats for the hides when I lived in Nevada.
Here in Wyoming I know a lot of hide hunters and so far from what I have seen I am not overly impressed with the 17 rim-fires. Not bad, but not as good the the older 22 WMR. Kills are not as consistently fast with the 17 Rim Fires as they are with the 22 WMR.

Once I got a 222 Remington and built myself a 221 Remington Fireball, I never went back to the rim-fires.

Now days I usually use a 223 from a 16" barreled AR15 which fires a 50 or a 55 grain bullet at the same speed as my 22" barreled SAKO 222.So the kills are exactly the same too. The AR is louder but the advantage of the semi-auto when you call in a pack became obvious to me soon after I started using the AR15.
My short light barreled AR is not as accurate as my SAKO 222, but not enough less to cause me to miss any coyotes yet. However not needing to move my hands at all to fire on the next coyote starting getting me more kills, especially on the farm and ranches I was asked to come shoot on.

So to address the article:
I personally would not be too ready to use any other rim-fire then the old 22 WMR, and the 22 WMR only if I can't use a 221, 222 or 223.

As a side note, The best tool I ever used for money shooting of foxes was a standard 22 LR. Deadly and no hide damage to speak of.

When making money, consistency of the kills with little to no hide damage is important. A small exit and excellent killing is better then 85% instant kills and 15% runs--- even if you have no hide damage at all. Loose a few and you see the "advantage" of no exits is not enough to override the 100% loss of some animals, or even the time lost in using up part of the day looking for one that runs off leaving no blood trail at all.

Others may disagree, but I like small exit wounds instead of none, paired with all kills being bang-flops or with runs of less then 10 years. The 221, 222 and the 223 give me that with the bullets I like.

Edited by szihn (11/12/22 07:06 AM)

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes [Re: szihn]
      #372214 - 11/12/22 12:04 PM

Found the ideal rimfire for Yotes. Just advertised on our national auction site at a reserve price of $1 and only some measurements given of cartridge and case OAL plus diameter of rim and body. COTW measurements confirms this ammo as 25 Stevens which apparently was quite a good killer for small animals.
There's about 25 odd Yotes worth in that box if you have the rifle.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes [Re: eagle27]
      #372215 - 11/12/22 01:23 PM

They're not hard to kill
22 rimfire is enough

Where they're a nasty pest, anything that the 22lr won't do, their brother or cousin will finish in short order

Seriously guys, coyote -- there's no room for discussion on ethics when you're discussing coyote

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes [Re: eagle27]
      #372230 - 12/12/22 04:27 AM

Quote:

Found the ideal rimfire for Yotes. Just advertised on our national auction site at a reserve price of $1 and only some measurements given of cartridge and case OAL plus diameter of rim and body. COTW measurements confirms this ammo as 25 Stevens which apparently was quite a good killer for small animals.
There's about 25 odd Yotes worth in that box if you have the rifle.

Interesting. When my buddy's father bought a army-surplus model 1917 Mauser in .30/06 back in the 50's, his neighbours all remarked, "What'd you buy that cannon for, Pete, there was nothing wrong with your Stevens for moose and deer?"
They were referring to his .25.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Best Rimfire Loads for Hunting Coyotes [Re: tinker]
      #372231 - 12/12/22 04:29 AM

Quote:

They're not hard to kill
22 rimfire is enough

Where they're a nasty pest, anything that the 22lr won't do, their brother or cousin will finish in short order

Seriously guys, coyote -- there's no room for discussion on ethics when you're discussing coyote

Interesting comment, Tinker. That's how a bunch of us feel about wolves.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1907

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com