Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 25 of the Best Handguns Ever

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
25 of the Best Handguns Ever
      #371889 - 01/12/22 07:00 PM

25 of the Best Handguns Ever

Take a walk through more than a century of gun history as we list some of the greatest revolvers, pistols, and sidearms of all time

By Richard Mann | Updated Dec 1, 2021 8:54 AM

https://www.fieldandstream.com/25-best-handguns-ever/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: 25 of the Best Handguns Ever [Re: NitroX]
      #371938 - 02/12/22 06:16 PM

Not a bad article but they omitted the French Manurhin. Recognized by Bill Ruger and I believe, Kalashnikov as the best revolver of all.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: 25 of the Best Handguns Ever [Re: Rule303]
      #371941 - 02/12/22 09:35 PM

I was not aware other handguns than No. 4 exist.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: 25 of the Best Handguns Ever [Re: lancaster]
      #371942 - 03/12/22 12:45 AM

Agree. Always keep a Luger or two on hand.

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #371949 - 03/12/22 03:34 AM

Mann completely missed two very important and iconic revolvers: S&W 27 and S&W 29. How can Mann consider that a complete list and disregard there two revolver? The Model 27 introduced the 357 S&W magnum and the Model 29 introduced the 44 S&W magnum.

BTW, I have had 2 Lugers as well as a HiPower and liked them but perfer Colt 1911s. If faced with a situation un which I need to use a pistol, I would rather have a 45ACP.

--------------------
RB

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: 25 of the Best Handguns Ever [Re: 85lc]
      #372039 - 05/12/22 08:18 AM

Another point of view, focused upon revolvers which for me are hunting handguns. (Sorry but I am not competent enough to post pictures.)

See: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolog...b7c5c0e3aa8bfcd

Top Five Revolvers As Explained by a Gun Expert Christian Orr with over Thirty Years Expierence: I have spent a lot of time over the last thirty years in my personal life and professional career working with firearms – and specifically revolvers. In the spirit of top five lists, and following the Top 5 .38 Special Revolvers, now we’re going to talk about what I consider to be the five best revolvers, regardless of a specific caliber, based on my expertise and personal experiences.

Smith & Wesson (S&W) Model 19/Model 66 .357 Magnum The Smith Model 19 wasn’t the first .357 Magnum – that distinction was earned by the behemoth S&W M27 back in 1935 – but when it debuted in 1955 it became the first gun in the caliber that was a practical weapon to carry for police and armed citizens. As Guns & Ammo reporter Keith Wood elaborates, “It began life as the Combat Magnum, a K-­frame in .357 Magnum designed in consultation with legendary Border Patrolman Bill Jordan. The concept of the Model 19 was to combine the power of the company’s N-­frame revolvers with the portability of the smaller K-­frames.” Its stainless steel variant, the Model 66 Combat Magnum, introduced in 1971, and the M19/M66 ended up in more American police holsters than you could shake a stick at, which held true until the large-scale nationwide police transition from wheelguns to autopistols began in the 1980s.

Ruger GP-100 .357 Magnum
After review of previous articles there should be little surprise at the inclusion of the GP-100 on this list, as it’s my all-time favorite revolver, period. Like I’ve said umpteen times before, Rugers are the Timex of revolvers, i.e. they take a licking and keep on ticking; this is true of their large-frame, medium-frame, and snubnosed wheelguns alike.

The GP-100 falls under the medium-frame category. Introduced in 1985, this revolver is super-tough thanks to its investment casting construction and triple-locking cylinder; so tough that the gun has survived being beaten against brick walls and run over by pickup trucks.

Moreover, as the official Ruger info page proclaims in boldfaced red all-caps (though we won’t use those here), “Ruger GP100 double-action revolvers are among the most comfortable shooting revolvers.

Based on 33 years of hands-on shooting experience with it, owning one for 19 years and 20,000 rounds fired through, and multiple medals won with it at the Nevada Police & Fire Games, I wholeheartedly concur.

Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum
“But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do you, punk?” How could I possibly exclude the iconic Dirty Harry gun from this list?

Arriving on the scene in 1955, courtesy of big-bore revolver guru Elmer Keith, this was the first gun ever chambered for the .44 Magnum cartridge, which in turn descended from the .44 Special and .44 Russian cartridges. Of course, it was the 1971 Clint Eastwood film that truly made the gun famous and caused demand to skyrocket. Though no longer able to lay claim to the title of “Most Powerful Handgun in the World” – having been superseded by calibers such as the .454 Casull and the Model S&W 500, the Smith M29 nonetheless remains an icon of the wheelgun world.

Colt Python .357 Magnum
To reiterate what I said in a previous article on the Python, if Rugers are the Timex of wheelguns, then the Python is the Rolex.
For sheer aesthetic beauty – especially in the so-called Royal Blue finish – and unbelievably smooth factory stock double-action trigger, this “Snake Gun” simply can’t be beaten.

Colt Single Action Army (SAA) “Peacemaker” .45 Long Colt (LC)
Hey, c’mon, I had to include at least one single-action revolver on this list for the sake of “equal time,” right? As the official Colt info page states, “No Colt revolver has earned greater fame than the single action army – The Peacemaker. In design and performance, in line and form, no more sculptural and practical Colt has ever been created. Movies serve as constant reminders of the role this equalizer played in winning the West.” In addition, the Colt SAA served as the official sidearm of the U.S. Army (hence the official moniker) from 1873 to 1892.

Christian D. Orr has 33 years of shooting experience, starting at the tender age of 14. His marksmanship accomplishments include: the Air Force Small Arms Ribbon w/one device (for M16A2 rifle and M9 pistol); Pistol Expert Ratings from U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP), Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE), and the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) Criminal Investigator Training Program (CITP); multiple medals and trophies via the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF) and the Nevada Police & Fires Games (NPAF). Chris has been an NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor since 2011. In his spare time, he enjoys (besides shooting, obviously) dining out, cigars, Irish and British pubs, travel, USC Trojans college football, and Washington DC professional sports.

--------------------
RB

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 25 of the Best Handguns Ever [Re: 85lc]
      #372044 - 05/12/22 11:37 AM

Ha! My namesake...

Might have to actually read this article when I get time.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: 25 of the Best Handguns Ever [Re: Marrakai]
      #372496 - 21/12/22 08:11 AM

Lots of omissions in my view.

Smith & Wesson 29
Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum
Smith & Wesson Triple Lock

Colt shooting master
Colt diamondback
Colt official police
Colt officer’s model target

Korth (revolvers and autos)

Beretta 71

Remington 51

Webley Fosberry

Mauser Broomhandle

SIG P-210

Manurhin

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 25 of the Best Handguns Ever [Re: mckinney]
      #372499 - 21/12/22 11:41 AM

Although a great many of them blew up, the Walker "Colt" of 1847 should be on that list.
The change to steel cylinders on the subsequent models of the Dragoon Colts, especially the 3rd model were quite remarkable for the "day".
With each loaded gun, the mounted soldier "had 5 buffalo in his hand".

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 25 of the Best Handguns Ever [Re: DarylS]
      #372506 - 21/12/22 04:58 PM

Quote:

With each loaded gun, the mounted soldier "had 5 buffalo in his hand".

On that subject sometimes one sees Indians, Cowboys or whomever, shooting bison with a revolver. How common was it? How effective?

Such a big beast, a bison, must be easy to kill if killed with such a small single lead bullet?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #372523 - 22/12/22 06:09 AM

Actually, with an expanding bullet through the lungs, they can take a long time to die. I watched a buffalo video done here in BC. The first shot was with a 30/06, 180gr. Nosler partition through both lungs, exited out the off side. Shot was fairly close. The person shot the buff another 3 or 4 times, each time the film showed entry and exit blasts sprays, same place.
28 minutes after the first shot, the buff put his head down and collapsed.
Shooing down through the lungs into the heart from a horse broadside to the buffalo was the preferred method, whether with the revolver, single shot martial pistol or by the natives with an arrow.
SxS 12 and 10 bores were also tried, with round balls, of course. The .54 calibre Martial single shot pistols were preferable to long barreled guns.
Quite a bit on this in "Firearms of the American West 1803-1865"
Also stated, you could not kill a buffalo with a .36 Navy revolver.
The single shot 1868 Sharps and Remington .50/70's were used to kill thousands of them with issue ammo.70gr. BP and 450gr. bullet.
The big slow moving bullets seemed to kill better than the modern rifles of small bore, even though they have expanding bullets.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
      #372662 - 27/12/22 01:35 AM

IMO

Automatic Pistol:
- SIG P210-2
- Colt 1911
- Sauer M38 H
- Walther PP Zella Melhis
- Walther Olympia / Hämmerli 208
- Lahti M40
- FN Browning 1900

Revolver:
- Manurhin MR 73
- Colt Shooting Master
- Colt Officer Model Match
- S&W mod.14 SA K.38 Masterpiece
- S&W mod.17 K.22 Masterpiece
- S&W mod.40 Centennial
- CZ type ZKR 551 (TOZ 36 & TOZ 49)
- Remington 1890

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #372796 - 02/01/23 05:40 PM

Quote:

Actually, with an expanding bullet through the lungs, they can take a long time to die. I watched a buffalo video done here in BC. The first shot was with a 30/06, 180gr. Nosler partition through both lungs, exited out the off side. Shot was fairly close. The person shot the buff another 3 or 4 times, each time the film showed entry and exit blasts sprays, same place.
28 minutes after the first shot, the buff put his head down and collapsed.
Shooing down through the lungs into the heart from a horse broadside to the buffalo was the preferred method, whether with the revolver, single shot martial pistol or by the natives with an arrow.
SxS 12 and 10 bores were also tried, with round balls, of course. The .54 calibre Martial single shot pistols were preferable to long barreled guns.
Quite a bit on this in "Firearms of the American West 1803-1865"
Also stated, you could not kill a buffalo with a .36 Navy revolver.
The single shot 1868 Sharps and Remington .50/70's were used to kill thousands of them with issue ammo.70gr. BP and 450gr. bullet.
The big slow moving bullets seemed to kill better than the modern rifles of small bore, even though they have expanding bullets.

I learn from this a 9,3x62 or better much bigger is the right thing on buffalo!

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2551

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com