Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brit woman shot on boar hunt France by man holdg rifle backw

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Brit woman shot on boar hunt France by man holdg rifle backw
      #371652 - 21/11/22 01:10 AM

British woman, 67, shot dead on wild boar hunt in France by man holding rifle backwards

17 October 2022, 09:13 | Updated: 17 October 2022, 09:27
Wild boar in France

By Stephen Rigley

A British woman has died after reportedly being shot by her companion holding a rifle backwards over his shoulder during a wild boar hunt in France.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/british-woman...ing-rifle-back/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Brit woman shot on boar hunt France by man holdg rifle backw [Re: NitroX]
      #371653 - 21/11/22 03:09 AM

its tragic but such things happen from time to time

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Brit woman shot on boar hunt France by man holdg rifle backw [Re: lancaster]
      #371654 - 21/11/22 03:23 AM

Such things happen only with dangerous handling of firearms.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Brit woman shot on boar hunt France by man holdg rifle backw [Re: DarylS]
      #371661 - 21/11/22 06:28 AM

Very sad, the most dangerous thing was the man that did it - he didn't think!

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #371662 - 21/11/22 06:33 AM

Quote:

Such things happen only with dangerous handling of firearms.

thats right, but with humans in the play it will happen again

it could be tomorrow someone will drive into me on the highway. this will give a very small notice on the last page "man was killed in a car accident" - nobody think about this more than 5 seconds.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Brit woman shot on boar hunt France by man holdg rifle backw [Re: 93x64mm]
      #371664 - 21/11/22 08:34 AM

Quote:

Very sad, the most dangerous thing was the man that did it - he didn't think!

The circumstance of how it happened is very suspicious, to me.
He would have to have elevated the butt-stock to depress the barrel enough to strike her in the chest, unless she was at least a 7' tall woman & likely would have to have been 7'6".
Also likely had finger on the trigger.
Just call me suspicious. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

--------------------
Daryl

dracb
.300 member

Reged: 28/02/13
Loc: British Columbia
      #371670 - 21/11/22 02:20 PM

I do not know about that. What is backwards? Customs vary from place to place. I have in my travels around the globe been with a couple of groups where it was common to carry the firearm over the shoulder with the but stock to the rear. The carrier holding on to the barrel naturally points the barrel at chest level of anyone in front of the carrier.

When I asked about this practice it was explained that it is more comfortable to carry barrel forward when walking long distances. The person also noted that he was used to hunting in Africa where one has a porter walking in front of them so they only had to reach forward in case they urgently needed their rifle.

Having been firmly put in my place I regretfully declined further opportunities to walk in front of assorted gun barrels.

--------------------
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Brit woman shot on boar hunt France by man holdg rifle backw [Re: dracb]
      #371671 - 21/11/22 04:00 PM

The on shoulder forward carry African method is common. When a porter rarely carried my rifle for me. I always unloaded the chamber. The PH and porter liked that by the expression on their faces. When I carried in likewise I tried to keep 5he barrel pointing safely.

A double barrel is more difficult as reloading it takes longer. A reason one of the decocking doubles eg Krieghof or external hammers, are such a good idea. Carrying the double chambers loaded but uncocked. Not just a lesser unreliable safety. I don't own any internally uncockabke DRs.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#371672 - 21/11/22 04:16 PM

The carried backwards, perhaps horizontal on the shoulder. Or backwards off the shoulder on a sling. The woman wouldn't have to be right behind either. Somewhere where the barrel pointed.

Ridiculous to carry the rifle loaded in this position. A reason many safety anally retentive hunting groups demand everyone carry guns bolt open or broken open. Because of idiots in the group. It ensures the idiots aren't carrying a loaded firearm.

When people are excited, even sensible people can become idiots. Strong trained discipline helps reduce this. But strong training and discipline is no longer fashionable in general life.

One thing one be sure. In any large or medium sized group, there will be without doubt one or more idiots. Not necessarily bad gun safety, but surely an idiot or more. The plandemic has taught me just how many idiots are out and about. Strict uncompremising safety rules help ensure idiots idocy is controlled and discipline ensured.

Poor woman didn't deserve to be shot. For the hunt organisers it must be horrible to have a shooting accident and even worse a fatality. In a club it could get a club licence terminated.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Brit woman shot on boar hunt France by man holdg rifle backw [Re: lancaster]
      #371673 - 21/11/22 04:24 PM

Quote:

it could be tomorrow someone will drive into me on the highway. this will give a very small notice on the last page "man was killed in a car accident" - nobody think about this more than 5 seconds.

That's truer than many think. So many more idiots driving cars than shooting firearms. Many should not have driving licences. Driving a vehicle is regarded as essential and a right. Where owning and using a firearm is usually regarded by many as a privilege. Not by me btw.

If public flogging and shaming was introduced for road idiots, I think we would have far less road idiots and impatient morons.

Politeness and consideration need to be vales and attitudes held in high regard and instilled in the general population. Again politeness and consideration for others are not popular in a brave new world ...

I try to be. And be harsh when not so treated in return. Morons can be shocked by the reaction. Expecting polite people to gecweak and spineless. Bully weakling cowards ...

I digress ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #371697 - 22/11/22 02:51 AM

While most of my hunting has been solo hunting, when group hunting, we either carry guns with safety on or if doubles, with gun broken. If carried withsafety on, it is knocked off as it is shouldered. Even withg safety on, guns are not pointed at anyone else (or you will be kicked out of the group).

That is a stupid accident. The guide should have corrected that at the start of the hunt.

--------------------
RB

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Brit woman shot on boar hunt France by man holdg rifle backw [Re: 85lc]
      #371698 - 22/11/22 03:47 AM

I am well aware of the muzzles-forward carry. I did not get that impression by the backwards description. I have carried my own rifles in that manner, bolt closed on a chambered round, safety on if hunting alone, empty and bolt open is hunting with others or guiding.
I will, however have a round or two in the magazine.
When guiding, everyone's rifle is unloaded while walking until we stop for calling or on a stand, then and only then are rifles carefully loaded. As well, when hunting from tree stands, rifles are not loaded while climbing up or down & bolts open.
Call me paranoid or overly cautious, I don't care, but I will never have such an accident as this one, if it was an accident, whether alone of with others.

--------------------
Daryl

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
      #371967 - 03/12/22 08:32 AM

Certainly in the UK there is a tendency to carry rifles slung on shoulder, muzzle up. This is fine if you have a wooden stocked rifle with a bit of weight in the butt and the front swivel on the barrel, as the rifle will keep pointing vertical.

But take a light plastic stock, add a moderator on the end of a barrel and bipod on the forend stock mounted swivels and the rifle becomes very unbalanced and the muzzle very quickly is pointing horizontal. I have seen this on many occasions and have ended up walking behind stalkers looking down the end of their muzzles.

And there is also a tendency to carry the rifle with one up the spout just in case a deer pops out. Add in carrying a set of sticks the rifle is generally carried on the shoulder whilst fully loaded.

Its a recipe waiting for disaster.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2020

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com